Lynn B
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lynn
Derry NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  1:02:47 PM  Show Profile
what is your favorite autumn recipe and/or food? This is one of my favorites (and SO simple):

Hot Caramel Apple Cider:

Warm apple cider and a stick or two of cinnamon in a saucepan on the stove top. Ladle into mugs and stir in some caramel sauce. Enjoy!

So easy, but you will love the taste!! I'll have to go through my recipes for some more favorites...

Lynn

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

BStein
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Barbara
Westerville OH
75 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  2:20:11 PM  Show Profile
This is one of my favorite autumn recipes. It's from my 90 yo grandma. It's called Poor Man's Cake because its from the day when eggs and butter were expensive and nuts and raisins were affordable. It just tastes like autumn. I love cooking in the fall. Everything tastes better to me.
Poor Man's Cake
3 cups flour
2 cups water
1/3 cup shortening
1/2 lb. raisins
1 cup brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
1 t cloves
1 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1 cup walnuts

Grease and flour angel food or tube pan. Heat oven to 325. Place water, shortening, raisins, sugar, cinnamon and cloves in saucepan over medium heat. Cook to boiling and boil for 5 minutes. Cool completely. Mix flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Dissolve baking soda in 1 t. water. Add raisin mixture and baking soda mixture to flour mixture. Add nuts. Bake for 1 hour. Frost with butter or cream cheese frosting.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2006 :  7:36:31 PM  Show Profile
I posted this in another topic (too many turnips, I think it was called) anyway..a great fall recipe....

peel the turnip and slice it into somewhat thin layers
put layers into casserole dish
fill 3/4 of the way with chiken soup broth
add salt and pepper to taste
bake in oven 350 for 45 minutes or until turnip are tender
you can add grated chedar on top if you like
YUM YUM!!!!

mellaisbella "I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  11:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Probably my favorite is Pumpkin Pie. Yummy, and makes me think of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. The other is Aspargus and Tasso.

Gaga's Pumpkin Pie

1 15 oz. can pumpkin or 15 oz. prepared fresh pumpkin
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
10 oz. evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 pie shell - ginger snap crust is yummy.
nutmeg for grating

Whisk first six ingredients together and pour into unbaked pie shell. Place on cookie sheet or foil. Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Serve warm or cold with or without vanilla ice cream. Receipe from Yankee magazine, December 1998.

Roasted Aspargus and Tasso - from Emeril's staff

1-2 Tblsp Olive Oil
4 oz. Tasso - 1/8 inch cubes
2-3 Tblsp minced shallots
1 1/2 - 2 lbs Asparagus speers trimmed
Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Parmesan Shavings

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.

In large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add Tasso and cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add shallots & cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add Asparagus, toss to coat for about 2 minutes. Transfer to roasting pan or dish. Season with salt and pepper. Roast Asparagus until crisp tender, turning occasionally for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with parmesan shavings. Serve warm.

Yummy!

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  12:43:05 PM  Show Profile
I had to 'google' tasso -- oh, yum! That sounds heavenly!
Go to Top of Page

BStein
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Barbara
Westerville OH
75 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  2:36:56 PM  Show Profile
Any substitutions for tasso? I love it but doubt I can get it at the markets in Columbus, Ohio. Would prosciutto or baked ham work?
Barbara
Go to Top of Page

Lynn B
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lynn
Derry NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  2:43:41 PM  Show Profile
Yum! All of these recipes look fantastic! Can't wait to try them!

Forgot in the caramel apple cider recipe...must top it with whipped cream!! An absolute, it makes it so creamy and delicious!

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  3:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
My new favorite I just made up is garden omlette's

Diced onion, squash,pepper,tomatoes. Add basil garlic and chives. Fresh ground pepper to taste.
saute in butter til just lightly cooked. Whip up a couple fresh eggs in a saute pan pour in the eggs and set for an omlette, put 1/3 cup of veggies on top, add goat cheese and fold in half. Cover until eggs are done. This is perfect with MJ's foccacia bread.

I saved the left over filling to add to my spaghetti.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  05:29:35 AM  Show Profile
I had to google tasso as well; and found a great ham website:

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatcureHams.html

Describes tasso = tasso ham Notes: This is a heavily smoked ham with a spicy, peppery rind. It's often used in Cajun dishes. Substitutes: smoked ham OR Canadian bacon

I am going to try the asparagus and tasso recipe...yum!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  4:03:34 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure why this recipe makes me think of fall, but I really enjoy stuffed peppers once autumn hits. Some ground beef and rice, spagetti sauce and garlic, all stuffed into a par-cooked green pepper. Sprinkle with some mozzarella and parmesan then bake. Oh so comforting and tasty!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

BStein
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Barbara
Westerville OH
75 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  09:44:56 AM  Show Profile
I was just going through my recipe book and found another favorite fall recipe (I could never have just one). And, of course, I always go for desserts. It's really rich, so you don't need much - great for a crowd.
Pumpkin Upside Down Cake
3 eggs
2 cans (1 lb. size) pumpkin
1 ¼ cup sugar
1 t nutmeg
½ t ginger
2 t cinnamon
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 pkg yellow cake mix
¾ cup melted butter or margarine
1 cup chopped walnuts, if desired
Whipped Cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make filling: in medium bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add pumpkin, sugar, spices and evaporated milk. Stir until well combined.

Pour into an ungreased 9 x 13-inch dish. Sprinkle dry cake mix over filling evenly. Drizzle butter evenly over cake mix. Bake for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and add walnuts if desired. Bake an additional 30 minutes or until topping in golden brown. Cool completely and serve with whipped cream.
Go to Top of Page

Jersey Girl
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Regina
Galloway New Jersey
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  11:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Jersey Girl an AOL message

These all look great !
In the next few weeks the weather here in the east will start to cool and
the leaves will begin to change....and ..on the menu
CHICKEN POT PIE !
1 Can ea. cream of chicken,, celery and potato soup
lots of left over chicken
1 1/2 half cup of chicken broth or water

Top with 2 cups of MJ Budget Farm mix with water and melted butter on top.
Bake 350 for 1 hour... with bisquicts... this says home like almost nothin else !!
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  6:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Regina,
Seems that a farmgirl welcome is in order!! When you get a chance go to the welcome wagon and introduce yourself so we can all stop in and say hello!! So glad you found us!
Hugz,
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  6:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
welcome Jersey girl please do go over to welcome wagon and start a topic so everyone can get to know you and welcome you to the group nice and proper.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  9:19:28 PM  Show Profile
When fall comes I like to make pies. Of course apple and pumpkin, but for a change I'll substitue red Kuri squash in my pumpkin pie recipe. I think they are also known as red Lakota and red Hubbard. They are not usually found in stores, but rather at farm stands. Look like a small hubbard but red. AND you don't have to peal them. Just leave the peeling on and grind up. It makes for pretty flecks in the pie. The flavor is richer than pumpkin.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Lynn B
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lynn
Derry NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  1:17:18 PM  Show Profile
Here is another really delicious recipe that is one of my favorites:

Swedish Apple Pie

2 1/2 c peeled, cored and sliced apples
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t white sugar
1 c white sugar
3/4 c butter, melted
1/2 c chopped pecans
1 c all-purpose flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 inch pie with butter. Fill 2/3 of the pan with sliced apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon and 1 tsp of sugar. In a medium bowl, mix 1 cup sugar with the melted butter. Stir in pecans, flour, egg and salt. Mix well. Spread mixture over the apples. Bake in preheated oven for 65 minutes, or until golden brown.

The mixture that you spread over the apples is very thick and but when it cooks it spreads throughout the apples and holds it all together. SOOO GOOD!!

Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  11:36:05 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, This sounds great and I can't wait to make it. My mom is swedish so think I'll make it for her. Thanks
Kelly
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic autumn recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page