traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  10:45:03 AM  Show Profile
One of my horse-riding friends and I decided to drive up to Lake-in-the-Woods to see if we could get up there with the horse trailer. We had talked on Saturday evening about skipping church and doing the ride yesterday. We were not sure that we could get to the lake. Anyway, the farther up the road we drove, the happier we were that we had not pulled the trailer up there. We could have made it but there would have been some dicey spots.

So we decided to continue up the road to Hemlock Lake to see the snow depth. There were deep tracks in the snow from previous drivers. At one curve, almost to the lake, I didn't maintain enough speed and got out of the tracks and started to slide off the road in to the ditch. We tried and tried. Mind you, we are still in our church clothes. I had clogs (the snow was knee-deep in places). Dumb, dumb, dumb.

No shovel; no chains. We were just going for a drive, you know.

Okay--scraping the snow from under the truck with a water bucket and hammer. Every time I tried to move, the truck slid further in to the ditch.

I asked Kathy if she were praying. The situation was not improving. The last time I was in a pickle, once my sister-in-law prayed, we found the PCT in five minutes. So I reminded God of that and told Him that He was not following past precedent. Almost as soon as I said that, a truck pulled up with two guys in it.

They helped us get out. Turns out the front tire was trapped between a culvert, which we could see, and a large rock, which we could not see. Once the rock was removed, they placed my trailer jack under the tire in such a way that I was able to back over the culvert and get unstuck.

We turned around. Kathy turned to me and said, "This goes NOWHERE!"

When I got home, Ron mentioned that he thought we would have been home before him and he was hoping that he wouldn't have to drive up there and pull us out! Oops. Then he said that we must have played in the snow.

I said, "Yup."

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  10:50:24 AM  Show Profile
Great story! Thanks for sharing!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic "Fun" day yesterday Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page