LisaH
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Lisa
Granger IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  6:01:47 PM  Show Profile
I have the opportunity to replace my perfectly good 20 year old washer and dryer with a brand new Whirlpool front loading Duet washer and dryer. I can get them for a steal, but my environmental side is in a quandry. The new machines use less energy and water but they require special detergent and I would have to use a special cleaner to keep the darn thing from smelling. Plus what do I do with old ones? I don't know what to do. Any thoughts?

Lisa
An Indiana Suburban Farmgirl

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  6:15:41 PM  Show Profile
Had a front loader and got rid of the darn thing and am happy as can be with my Kenmore top loader. Never did think the front loader cleaned the clothes very well and the smell was repulsive if I wasn't careful and it was an expensive one too. Sold it on Craigslist.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  6:25:44 PM  Show Profile
Craigslist...or you could donate them to a women's shelter.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://omgsitstasharose.wordpress.com

[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  6:26:37 PM  Show Profile
Everyone I know that have bought front loaders has gotten rid of them for alot of reasons, and most of them had differant, but top name brands...as far as getting rid of your old W/D's, how about donateing them to an animal rescue, they are always needing them in my area, they wash alot of blankets and towels everyday...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  7:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Guess I'll just have to go against the flow. I LOVE my front load. I use Charlie's Soap (pennies a load), my clothes are clean, it doesn't hurt my back reaching in to get the clothes out, just zero complaints. If you're looking for a place to get rid of the old ones what about a shelter for abused women/children? Or a soup kitchen/ shelter for homeless? If you want to sell them Craigslist or swap n shop type places.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  7:05:16 PM  Show Profile
They look so pretty. I have wondered about them myself. I have a washer and dryer from the stone age I think. It washes very well and we don't have a lot of laundry with only 3 people. I participated in a week long event about cutting out wasteful habits, even going without electricity. I found I used far less water than the "average" consumer. With dryers, I know there are NO energy efficient dryers. They simply aren't made. So you wouldn't save money there. Are you able to line dry your clothes? I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  7:07:05 PM  Show Profile
I got my front loader when they were fairly new out.....yuk...what a lemon. I now have a top loader and am much more happy with it.

Good luck with your decision.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I need your help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page