batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  08:23:56 AM  Show Profile
Found out yesterday that my shoulder I messed up moving a refrig & wood cooking stove doesn't need surgery on it.....its been a mess & its my left shoulder & I am left handed!....have physical therapy for 4 weeks/2 days a week for it starting yesterday...Am very happy about this since I dreaded the idea of another surgery after one I had in July for female stuff...

Was told that I could no longer do the things I do...lol, tried to tell the lady that wasn't going to happen but I would & am trying to figure out ways to do things differently so I don't hurt myself as often. I find it funny that people think you can just stop doing what you are doing as if someone else will come in & do it for you...

it sure would be nice to have someone who just pops up when I need 3 50 lb bags of feed moved...lol...or bales of hay moved or wood stacked....or a frig moved from the shop to the house...but I promised to re-think things instead of just doing something plus now with the shoulder messed up I have been trying to make it easier for me....

Anyway had to share that with someone since it was such good news for me...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  09:45:20 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I am so glad to hear that you won't need surgery But I so very much agree about people telling you to just stop doing what you normally do. Since August, I've been dealing with this horrible arthritis in my knee, and everyone keeps telling me what I can't do any more! Listen to your body tho' and take frequent breaks until your shoulder has healed some. The PT (physical therapy) will help keep your muscles in good shape while you heal.

Get well soon!

Hugs

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  10:52:47 AM  Show Profile
Whew! Good news on the surgery! You'll just have to use your "mother wit" at MJ says and find other ways to deal with life. You're right, life doesn't suddenly change just because you're injured! Maybe buy the feed in 25 lb bags instead of the 50 lbs. I don't even know if that's possible since I'm still working my way towards having critters that need 50 lb bags of feed, lol! Making more trips rather than trying to carry a heavy load. What about seeing if the local high school boys could come and do the heavy lifting when you need it. I'm sure they could use some extra money to buy the latest video games! Is there a neighbor who you could trade chores with? Just throwing some ideas out. I know you'll come up with what's right for you. Just take care of that shoulde and for heaven's sake don't reinjure it!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  10:55:12 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I am glad you won't have to have surgery but hope it mends on it's own real soon so you can get back to doing what you do. It is hard to find people to help. I am so afraid of hurting myself because I do it all myself here and I would be screwed. I have hurt myself before and it is hard but it gets done. I hope you are well soon. I sure wish we could all live on a big ole farming community so we could all help each other out when we need it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  01:34:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh hens thank you soooo much xoxoxo...yes I have tried to find chicken feed in 25 lb bags, ain't happening...lol....but my trusty lawn cart has helped so much....as for neighbors they are the ones i ask for help & they either disappear or just tell me out right they won't/can't help :(...I have offered to pay people to help & they don't show up either so thats when I get mad & do things I shouldn't like moving frigs by myself...lol I am sure some of you are capricorns & know how stubborn we are when we get mad...lol.....I remember there always being a helping hand when I was younger on the farm, we went to help others & never even thought about it...I still do that if someone says they need help I am there to help....I am surrounded by kids my son's age (30's) & they just do not want to be bothered & some have even sat there & watched me do some of the heavier things & smile & wave even though they see I am having problems...sure is sad, cause I know when my boy was growing up I taught him to be a help to anyone older than him especially if it was a woman....even if she says she doesn't need help he was to stay there & sorta of work his way into helping....I know that if a bunch of us hens were in a community we would help each other without even thinking about it....Again thank you for your kindness...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  2:14:14 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Michele! So glad you get to skip the surgery. So, to do what you are going to do anyway... and you will, right? ... your PT is great for helping get your pain down and your strength up, but you might want to talk to an occupational therapist, too. They are great for that kind of practical thing! Yes, I may be a little biased, since my daughter is one, but those are the folks who will find you a tool for putting on socks after breaking a hip, and one saved my back when my DH was on hospicce. I couldn't lift him to get him off the couch, and he couldn't, he was so sick. But he wanted to come out of his bed and be with us. So the OT put blocks under the couch to lift it up, so we could just slide him! Problem solved... it's what they do!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  2:35:00 PM  Show Profile
Good news for you Michele! By the way, do you have a dolly to help you with those heavy sacks?

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  11:33:55 PM  Show Profile
Ok hens 1st day of real therapy...made me useless for the rest of the day..lol.lol.lol.....but I have to tell you this...the lady who worked on me & with me is named Michelle, my age (52) & a want to be chicken Queen! Now tell me is that not cool or what...I live in a small town, blue collar & I find a woman who is so much a MJ girl I was floored. She didn't even blink an eye over what I told her I had done or how my shoulder got screwed up she understood plus 3 years ago she messed up her shoulder so was very helpful in talking to me during the therapy on better ways to move that hay ect.....The reason they put me with her is on my info sheet they asked me my occupation & I said Silversmith & chicken Queen...If I had not done that I would never have met this wonderful person....I also found out that I have the starting of what is called a frozen shoulder that can be very very bad but thank goodness I decided to finally bite the bullet & go in for some help....It has been a long time since I was excited about something but I think she & I will be friends after this is all over so this mess has turned into a nice blessing of sorts.
Yes i have a dollie but the problem is its a very old one & weighs a ton & is too hard for me to move around easily...the lawn cart though works so far for me but I know eventually I will have to find something without the high sides on it to help me......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  06:28:42 AM  Show Profile
I have had 2 hernia surgeries in the past 5 years. I am not supposed to lift more than 5-10 lbs at a time. At the feed store I have the guys set my 50 lb bags upright against the tailgate, they tie them off with bungee cords I keep back there for this purpose. At home, I back the truck up as close as I, drop the tailgate, get out 1 feed scoop and two buckets and move my feed two buckes at a time to the metal trash cans I store feed in (keeps the nibbly creatures out0, it takes about 6 trips to empty one bag, for hay bales, I cut the string and remove them one or two flakes at a time. Yes, this is time consuming but it keeps me from hurting myself. As for hired help, contact your local 4h group, sometimes they have or know of teenagers who need the money and will actually work for it.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  06:59:34 AM  Show Profile
Hello, Kathryn, haven't seen you in a while. Hope all is well at your house. We came thru the fire just fine, was put on alert and we packed up, but we never had to leave.

Michele, just wanted to agree with Kathryn the 4 H group is a good place to start. but wanted to tell you that here in Texas, our seniors need community hours to graduate. My grandson started on his in 10th grade and he went to some neighbors, elderly or sick, and told them he would put out their garbage cans and collect them at the end of the day, he did this for 3 years, with no pay, just a letter for community hours. He now is in college 2 nd year and he still does, 3 of the ladies garbage. But what I really wanted to tell you is that I can contact the ag dept or the school and ask if there is someone who needs hours, and I get a name, and I make arrangements with them. The ag dept, is very helpful, it gives them some work for pay, and then some of them need hours. I don't know if your community has something like this, but it is a thought. I have a friend in Michigan that uses the ag boys from the High School and has for about 9 years. Mostly with no pay, or she slips them a bake good or bag of cookies. The boys keep coming back. Also, another thought, I hired the boys from a youth group at a local church, and their leader and 7 boys came and pounded fence posts, I made a donation to their youth group for them to go to camp. Thought this might help
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  07:31:19 AM  Show Profile
thank goodness no surgery. be glad for the physical therapy it will help. prayers for you quick recovery are going out to you.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  9:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh how I wish they had a 4H group here or even nearby...closest one is about an hour away for goats...anyway that would be great if they had one for chickens..since what I need the most help with is them...I have wanted to start a 4H group here for chickens since I was in 4H in high school for sheep & a team leader...as a Teacher now retired I thought that would be wonderful but this last year has been rough physically so have yet to check it out....
i am not involved in any church so would feel very guilty calling one for help....yes I think the using buckets to empty 50 lb feed sacks is going to have to be what I do as well as dividing up the bales of hay to move...since the last therapy I have been more aware of what I am doing & see that I do alot of the movements I shouldn't & didn't even know it...like reaching for something above the frig, pushing or pulling things that are behind me to in front of me...well no wonder I can't heal, I am doing everything that makes it worse! :)...Right now I have to huge bags of wood chips in the car that need to be removed, but haven't gotten to it but will do those in buckets, & bought cat food in 20 lb bags instead of 40...a big more money but worth it.....& I can carry that bag right handed....but am thankful I went to therapy & can now heal & learn to do things different but better for me....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic No surgery needed !!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page