CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  08:59:39 AM  Show Profile
farmgirls .. do you all have a local live community theatre group in or near your town? do you 'act' in it if you do? have you ever done 'community' theatre?

we have the MOST AMAZING theatre here in Kentucky .. honey hunk and i went to see GREATER TUNA last night . and i swear .. it was one of the best plays we've ever seen (comedy!!!) here is an e-mail i sent to dozens of my local kentucky gurlfrenz ... if you are anywhere near .. or can make a visit to kentucky during the 'show dates' .. come on down .. and we'll go again with you!!!

================

GREATER TUNA
(the third smallest town in Texas)

KENTUCKY REPERTORY THEATER
at Horse Cave, Kentucky

KENTUCKY GURLFRENZ ..,.
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY
DO NOT MISS SEEING THIS PLAY!!!!!

I SWEAR .. IT IS THE FUNNIEST "PLAY" THAT HANK AND I HAVE EVER EVER SEEN!!!
YOU NOT ONLY LAUGH CONSTANTLY .. YOU LAUGH LOUD .. CONSTANTLY!
The show takes place in a small Texas Town (ha! you might even recognize a few
"Kentucky neighbors" among the characters!)
FANTASTIC ACTING!!!
and what makes it even funnier is that there are
20 characters in the play
ALL played by TWO actors!!!!
The costume changes are a SCREAM ...
the actors are MEN and about half the characters they play are WOMEN!!!
The 'one-liners' come one right after the other .. each funnier and funnier!!!
and every character ... BELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!
(in a 'country-kinda' way.

There is mystery, murder, mishaps and mahem ..
there is unrequited love .. and yes! even RELIGION
in this funny, funny, funny farce!!!!

These are PROFESSIONAL actors .. and as good as any you will see on Broadway
in New York City! For that fact, KRT was chosen as one of the TOP TEN
small theaters in the COUNTRY!!!!

Hank and I love live theater (not particularly fond of 'musicals' though!) and we have found the Kentucky Repertory Theater to be a JEWEL in the midst
of our great adopted state of Kentucky!

YEP!!! It is just downright SILLY not to take advantage of the Kentucky Repertory Theatre!
The best comedy play we've ever seen!!!!!

GREATER TUNA
is scheduled to show:
August 18/19/24/25/26/28
September 1/2/3

hank and i have season tickets to KRT .. ALL the plays have been great .. never a disappointment!
WE WOULD GO SEE GREATER TUNA OVER AND OVER AGAIN ...
let's get a bunch of us together and go see it before it closes!!!!

I cannot express enough that KRT is one of the finest opportunities that
we Kentuckians (especially us small towners) have for adding to the
enjoyment of our lives .. art/culture/quality of life experiences!!!!!
And the ticket price is so incredibly reasonable!!!!
The Arts can only survive if WE participate and support it!

Not all my friends have e-mail .. sooo .. i am limited to sending this to 'ya'll' who are .. and
from shouting from the courthouse steps to all that will listen ... soooo .. pleeeeeeeeeze ...
send this e-mail on to all the friends on YOUR list .. and call those who are computer-less.
Join with all your friends and 'kith and kin' .. and go see GREATER TUNA .. you will be 'hooked'
on KRT just after having seen ONE play at KRT!!!

Call me .. e-mail me .. stop by and visit .. and let me know that YOU and a buncha' friends
would love to get together and go see both Greater Tuna AND The Gospel of Mark!!

OH WHAT A GRANDE TIME WE SHALL HAVE!!!!

=======================

ALSO SHOWING NOW IS:
The Gospel of Mark

not sure .. but it looks like this might be a one-man show ..
the 'narrator is Robert F. Brock .. who also happens to be the Artistic Director
of KRT .. AND .. one of the TWO actors in Greater Tuna!!!

Here's what Brock has to say about "The Gospel of Mark"
"Memorizing is the work of repetition. It can seem and often is boring.
It is tedious. It is an actor's job. But the experience of achieving the release of the words from the bondage of the page is almost inexpressibly exhilarating. The words and the story they tell become living things. Nuances and subtleties that never showed themselves in reading spring up like crocuses in spring. Emotional flavors and undertones rise to the surface. The story comes alive.

Mark, in my opinion, is the best storyteller of the gospel writers. He is not ornate. He does not embellish. His details are thereby more striking. He moves swiftly from event to event pressing toward the unique event of Golgotha.

THE TRUE ENDING OF THE GOSPEL IS STARK, BUT IT EXPRESSES WHAT MUST HAVE BEEN A REALITY FOR MANY -- THAT THE FIRST REACTION TO THE RESURRECTION IS FEAR.
JOY COMES LATER.

=========

WOWZER! THIS HAS GOT TO BE A GREAT PLAY!!!!

LET'S ALSO .. ALL GET TOGETHER AND GO SEE THIS ONE!!!!

The Gospel of Mark shows the following dates:

August 20/23/27/30

HUGS AND KISSES,
FRANNIE

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  10:19:58 PM  Show Profile
Frannie - I just love local theater - but we don't have it here. The closest we have is the neighboring larger town's high school theater - and they're surprisingly good! I went to see "Hello Dolly" last year and just loved it. I sure wish they would do "Greater Tuna," though!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  3:13:56 PM  Show Profile
anne .. our theatres are about an hour drive on beautiful windy, backroads .. but worth every mile. were you ever in theatre? my husband and i had great fun doing community theatre when we lived in the mountains of colorado.

HA! i even won an 'academy award' as 'best supporting actress' (i only got big-boob roles .. and an underwire push-em-up bra .. soooo .. i'm supposing that is probably why i got the BEST SUPPORTING award!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  10:42:53 PM  Show Profile
I've never been in any sort of theatre - but I HAVE done some dancing performances (I bellydance a bit...). I'd really be up for taking part in some local theatre if it was available here.

Frannie -- congratulations on the academy award!!!!! - at least is wasn't the "best-supported" actress!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  6:33:19 PM  Show Profile
Libbie .. a few years ago .. i took bellydancing lessons .. it was grande fun .. but when it came time to actually 'perform' .. i chickened out! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  11:24:34 PM  Show Profile
It really is fun, isn't it? I just love to dance - I think in a past life I may have been a flamenco dancer... Somehow it doesn't fit into THIS lifetime very well, but on any given day, you might see me dancing in one form or another through the house!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  06:25:40 AM  Show Profile
Our town has a big pageant each year with a huge cast (like 400 people!) called the Manti Mormon Miracle Pageant. It has been going on for 40 years and is so fun to perform in. The kids and I have done it the past 4 years. It really starts right after Memorial day (practices) and you stay busy all through June. Our little town of 3,000 has crowds you wouldn't beleive! Over 10,000 most nights of the pageant..which runs for 8 nights. It is truly amazing..and not like anything I have seen or been involved with before. We love it.
We set up 16,00 chairs and some nights most of them are full! (the Friday and Saturday nights)
We were New Englanders this year and that was fun. We have always been in another group (who were dressed like in Jesus' time on earth) so it was different.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Local LIVE Theatre Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page