Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  5:19:27 PM  Show Profile
I got a cool coupon mailer/magazine in the mail that was specializing in a "gluten free thanksgiving". I cribbed the tips and the recipes for a blog post.
If you need to watch (and eliminate) your wheat products; or cook for someone who does, I hope you'll get something out of this!

http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/2011/11/gluten-free-diet-does-turkey-day.html

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  8:11:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jen! My youngest son is ADHD and we try to keep him gluten free as possible. I appreciate your sharing the link with us.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  03:23:07 AM  Show Profile
Jen that is perfect timing. One of my tasks today was to find some gluten free dishes for my family dinner on Sunday. Thank you!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  05:54:54 AM  Show Profile
If I were to do a gluten free Thanksgiving: I'd roast a turkey stuffed with my brown/wild rice pilaf recipe (I can share it if you like) and look for a recipe for pumpkin panna cotta for dessert. I also have a killer Passover brownie recipe made with potato starch that's gluten free, as well as a Passover amaretti recipe made with ground walnuts, almonds, or hazelnuts, that couldn't be simpler.

The best part about cooking from scratch things like broth, cranberry sauce, et al, is that they're naturally gluten free if you don't put anything in them other than the intended ingredients. Baked squash and apples that I do every year? Already gluten free. Brussels sprouts braised with shallots and herbs in chicken broth that I do every year? Already gluten free.

I'm a little nervous about substitute foods and would probably avoid gluten free bread, esp. for stuffing.

BTW, a few years ago, as a purely academic exercise, I planned a vegan Thanksgiving menu that was actually palatable after our local newspaper ran a few disgusting vegetarian recipes that you were supposed to foist upon your poor, unsuspecting vegetarian friends and relatives *shudder*. They actually suggested making a "turkey" casserole with tofu and tempeh with vegan bread stuffing. Awful.

On my menu, the main course was white bean and mushroom soup in butternut squash halves, and dessert was apple pie.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Gluten Free does Thanksgiving Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page