Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 cooking pumpkin and squash which way is best?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cooking pumpkin and squash which way is best? Next Topic  

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  08:19:05 AM  Show Profile
I am cooking a cinderella pumpkin today and have several more and a cushaw too. I have usually roasted them in the oven with a little water and foil over the the top at 350 degrees. After they cook then I scoop out the flesh and puree it and freeze it. If its too watery then I strain it through cheese cloth.

Does anyone have a better way to process pumpkin and squash that would work better? Do you puree it or leave it natural?

Also wondered what everyone does with their pumpkin seeds they have left over. I wondered if the cushaw squash seeds were safe to eat. In the past I have just roasted the pumpkin seeds with salt but they were sorta dry. How do you all fix yours?

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  08:26:16 AM  Show Profile
I really like roasting it, Linda--the full, rich flavor of the squash comes out, though i never do roast in water. About 350 for 45-55 minutes, depending on the size of the pumpkin. Slice and clean out pulp, put face down on cookie sheet sprayed with a little cooking spray and it separates so easily from the skin when finished. I do puree mine, put it in freezer bags (pressed flat and folded) and then into the freezer.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  08:50:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Joni,

I didn't put much water in maybe 3/4 of an inch. I am going to poor that off and let it finish dry. I will spray it with oil next time and do it that way from the start.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  1:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I also bake mine in the oven then puree before freezing. As for the seeds, I do not know about the cushaw seeds, but I usually toss the seeds in a little olive oil, put on a cookie sheet, salt, and bake until they are a little brown.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  1:45:14 PM  Show Profile
I've never made squash seeds, but I did make curried pumpkin seeds a few days back (after roasting my pumpkin and making puree for Thankgsiving) and my VERY picky 2 1/2 year old ate every single one of them. It was an old Victory Garden recipe where you add 2-3 tblsps of curry powder to 1/2 cup of warm water, and add a bit of salt and warm to boil, cooking the seeds for 10 minutes in the curry solution, then drain and bake them at 250 for an hour and 30 minutes. VERY good!!! I've been so concerned about my daughter's fiber intake, but that seemed to curb that problem ;)

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  12:33:37 PM  Show Profile
I am on my second pumpkin today and they taste great roasted.I made sure I didn't put any water in this time and it worked out much better. My skins did no come off easy tho. I actually had to cut them off even tho the pulp was super soft. I just wonder if this is because these are cinderella pumpkins. Anyway I am going to roast all the seeds tomorrow. I will cook the cushaw tomorrow and cook the seeds from that one seperately. I am going to try to research them on the internet and make sure they are not toxic to eat.

I may have to try the curry ones with some of them and the oil and salt on the rest. They both sound very good.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Nov 18 2011 12:34:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  03:30:33 AM  Show Profile
I too, like the baking/roasting better for one you don't lose all the minerals ect like you do if you boil them...anyway you do them takes time but I like the roasting cause I can get them out with no fuss & dump more in the pan to roast while the cooked ones cool & I tend to them plus you don't have to chop them up which takes so much time by the time you do one large pot your hands are giving out....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  06:01:22 AM  Show Profile
I do what you do, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cooking pumpkin and squash which way is best? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page