Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Did Gastric Bypass Make Your BestFriend Ridiculous
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Did Gastric Bypass Make Your BestFriend Ridiculous Next Topic  

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  04:51:19 AM  Show Profile
I have been losing my best friend, of 8 years to stupidity. She got gastric bypass, and now she is an idiot.

She says things like, I did something about my weight.
Oh really, you mean you, and your team of DR's?

Casual sex is top priority, all she talks about are how great her breasts are, and how everyone has a crush on her.

I'm not sure what to do. It's starting to get rude. SHe will go on and on about some internet Romeo, and I will say, well I guess it doesn't matter if you've never met him. I bet he's married with long hair, and 4 cats.

I actually took a break from her, but she is the same.

Do you know Gastric Bypassers that came back from cuckoo?

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown

Edited by - one_dog_per_acre on Nov 17 2011 04:51:57 AM

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  05:52:13 AM  Show Profile
I had a cousin who had the gastric bypass and now she is the most conceited person. She kind of had a big mouth before but now she is much, much worse.

Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  06:44:17 AM  Show Profile
I know a couple of gals that have had it and the funny thing is they are now both overweight again. It doesn't last if they don't eat maintain the diet restrictions, and they both look worse then they did before the surgery.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  06:55:11 AM  Show Profile
I don't know, but would imagine that the character within was just freed and amplified after the bypass.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  07:06:03 AM  Show Profile
uugh

Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  07:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Violet I agree. I have known a couple of people who did it and turned out fine, mentally. One was my aunt. I haven't seen her in a while to know if she lost weight or not. The other was a friend who had to lose the weight so they could go in and repair both his rotator cuffs. His only complaint was that he "skinnied" himself out of work. He was playing one of the secondary detectives in CSI, the grumpy, overweight one named O'Reilly. Anyway, he sent me the pictures of the "after" and dang if he didn't look like John Wayne! He found other things to do to keep himself content however. So, I think it may be the inner person freeing themselves.

I lost weight when my father passed... I got down to a size 10 and it was wonderful. But I don't recall talking about how "hot" I was or anything like that. I was just excited because I was actually about the same size as my Momma. Now I'm back to a 14 , but I'm working to lose that again!

Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  07:17:41 AM  Show Profile
A co-worker here at the office dealt with this indirectly--she married a man who was divorced from a woman who'd had Gastric Bypass surgery and after losing all the weight, got a breast implants, died her hair a la Marilyn Monroe, got a Myspace account and divorced him--apparently, when she was heavy, she had "settled" on him because he loved her for who she was, fat and all, but now that she was thin and hot, she liked the attention she was receiving each day from random men and it occured to her that "she could get anybody she wanted, really" so she dumped him and their two children, one of whom, a daughter, was hers from a previous relationship and had no blood ties to this guy...and he ended up with full custody of both children because the judge found her unfit due to her newfound "lifestyle" changes.

So, my co-worker was dealing with all her craziness as the new wife and stepmother to these children, and she just seemed like a raving lunatic to me--new man every week, the sexually suggestive pictures on FB profiles--really just a 180 degree departure from the mother and wife she had been not 3 years prior.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  07:22:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Trish - your post cracked me up! One of my foster daughter's friends had that done and she did seem to lose her mind for a while afterward. As a matter of fact, she PURPOSELY gained extra weight in order to have it done - I was absolutely appalled. Rest assured, in time, she got a lot better and started to be her sweet old self again; but she really was quite obnoxious when she first lost her weight. I completely commiserate! Hang in there! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  08:07:37 AM  Show Profile
I think Violet is right. Most people who are over weight have really great personalities and when the weight comes off the personality changes to a little crazy. It is sad to say the least. They get this surgery to help with there health and then the mind takes over. I hope she sees her change...or maybe she needs someone to help her see.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  09:44:44 AM  Show Profile
I told her it was time for her find a husband. She reluctantly agreed.

Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  10:53:34 AM  Show Profile
after reading the side effects of that procedure I would think you were cuckoo to start with...

But, I am sorry you are going through that..

Farmgirl Sister #2974
~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  11:08:22 AM  Show Profile
I had a cousin who had GB and lost a ton of weight. She was always kind of over the top personality wise and that didn't change. She did talk to me about her surgery and how great it was. She thought I should have it too but I've always been afraid it wouldn't take care of the "real" reason I overeat so I've never really considered it. She was actually kind of funny about it since she had those horrible skin folds. She'd joke about how her breasts now looked like a Nanny goat! She kept the weight off for many years but I recently saw a picture of her and yup, she's back up to her heavy self. So now what is her option? I don't think you can have it redone can you? Looks to me like most of the people who have had this done all return to their former weight after awhile.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

OmgsItsTashaRose
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul MN
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  12:16:55 PM  Show Profile
seems when our bodies are artificially thinned, so are our personalities!

I never understood the pride one had in having GB surgery. I would feel unaccomplished. I know how I feel after Ihave had a baby and the weight starts coming off...it's wonderful that I have worked hard and made a baby, and then I worked hard to get myself to a healthy weight again after I have had a baby. I couldn't imagine having a dr cut it all off...

That said, I have known two people who had the surgery and yes, they both went nutty.

Formerly GaiasRose
Go to Top of Page

sammyann
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Samantha
Freeport Michigan
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  12:39:27 PM  Show Profile
The unfortunate part is that if the person who has the surgery done, does not change their way of thinking about food, or exercise, then they will ususally gain it back. I am sure that after having low self esteme for a long time (and they might have repressed it), to feel thin and 'sexy' like they never have before, can send them over the edge.

Hopefully when and if they hit that bottom, they still have friends that can lift them back up again.
Good luck
Sam
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  3:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Never had the surgery, but many years ago lost a significant amount of weight and went very conceited. Guys had never looked at me before, I guess is why. The guy that I was after still didn't like me after the weight loss, so I gained it all back. Lost it again for years, now I'm overweight again. I've been doing yoga and I love the feeling of knowing what my body can do, and that's what really matters. As for gastric bypass, the people I've known who've had it done usually gained the weight back. Change always has to start from within. I know of only one person who's kept the weight off, and she was nice before and is still nice after. But I can understand the going cuckoo. Blame it on the advertising industry.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  3:43:20 PM  Show Profile
Hubby and I have a friend who had the surgery. Honestly, at times she does get on my nerves like never before. She has kept the weight off , but, forgive me for saying, she now has the oddest shape. A thin Michelin man sort of shape? And insists on wearing tight er clothes.

Actually, I like being a bit overweight. Somehow, I'm more comfortable with myself. All the years I was stick thin, I think I was running from something. I'll take my weight, thank you very much!!

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  7:08:14 PM  Show Profile
I would never consider gastric surgery, lap band or bypass. What if there was a famine or food shortage and all of a sudden a compromised stomach was a hindrance?
I will keep a low carb, low glycemic diet, baby my pancreas, stay active and call it good. My husband fell head over heals for me when I was at my heaviest anyway. <3

I think having men start to notice me all of a sudden would kind of freak me out and I ceased to be a woman in the eyes of the world when I took my vows anyway.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Nov 17 2011 7:09:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  7:27:13 PM  Show Profile
i had gastric bypass over 7 years ago-
it is not surgery on our heads- it does bring out the best and worst in people...and many people are not emotionally equipped to handle the after parts....for some , it truly is life saving....some people simply CANNOT lose weight...all of our bodies are wired differently...

do i have regrets about the surgery? sometimes....did i lose every ounce that i needed to? no....did i go thru mental as well as physical changes? sometimes daily!

frankly, i am really disappointed in some of you for your insensitive and uneducated remarks.

i thought about not saying anything-but-well- i guess i don't know when to stop....

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  7:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
People can react different ways to drastic changes in their lives. Its hard to tell what emotional imact the struggles that people have been through is having beneath the public facade. I am sure there are people that have a boomarang effect when they suddenly find themselves in a body that they never dreamed of having before after the surgery and then I am sure there are people who are just grateful for the health benefits and it doesn't outwardly affect their personality at all. Each person is unique. It's too bad that sometimes behaviors that come out can be self destructive. I have had friends like that before and I just try to be a friend for them to lean on or if they are startig to affect my life, I have to be a friend from afar.

I have a friend that had it done last year and his life has drastically improved. He looks great and now has a good prognosis to live for a long time whereas before he was heavy enough that he was going to be lucky to see 45.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Did Gastric Bypass Make Your BestFriend Ridiculous Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page