Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Watch! MI deputy helps deer to safety
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Watch! MI deputy helps deer to safety Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  07:45:03 AM  Show Profile
I have a soft spot for Mother Nature's creatures, as I think we all do, but working in a legal field, my opinion regardling law enforcement can be a little conflicted. Today, this officer (though he might be a real stinker otherwise) changed my mind a bit to the positive.

This is SO great. I just love how you can see the wheels turning in his mind when he approaches the deer (who is somehow stunned) and sizes him up to see if he can lift him. All caught on the dashboard camera. I even sent a "thank you" to the Sheriff's department via email.

Enjoy--it's a happy video for this dreary Kentucky day!
http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2011/11/15/mi-deer-sheriff.huron

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  08:49:13 AM  Show Profile
You know that happened to my husband a few years back driving home in a very nasty rain storm. A doe was standing smack in the middle of the road, cars were able to slow down and avoid hitting her, but apparently she was just trying to "re-group" and gather her bearings!

I saw the video this morning on CNN- Did you notice how gently he picked her up?? Kind of restores your faith in humanity huh?

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  09:05:01 AM  Show Profile
Or at least in law enforcement--I've had some not so great experiences recently that made me think, "these cops suck". But that's just my personal experience. I wonder? I guess this is common--I've never seen a deer standing stock still in the road or on the side of the road. They're usually in complete motion.

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  10:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
What a wonderful video! Thanks for sharing!

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  1:56:42 PM  Show Profile
I've known a few in law enforcement and yes, they can have the "us and them" attitude but in the right circumstances they can be caring and compassionate. You almost have to think that deer may have been hit previous to the cop coming upon her. She was obviously dazed and took quite awhile to come to her senses. Thank goodness he came when he did. You know he has to be an animal lover!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  8:21:40 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Audrey! The guy must love animals, he even strokes its back - how sweet. Thanks for sharing!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  06:49:39 AM  Show Profile
Wow, thank you for sharing. He seemed to be taking care to be gentle with the deer. Good for him.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  06:59:37 AM  Show Profile
Girls, I was so touched by this video, I sent the Huron County Sheriff's department a quick email, commending his kindness and I got a very dear email back from the officer in the video, late yesterday afternoon. He said he just "felt like it was the right thing to do" and that any of the other people he worked with were wonderful, and would have done the same thing, and that he was so humbled--he's been getting calls and emails from all over the world :)

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  11:16:25 AM  Show Profile
That's great. Law enforcement sometimes get a bad reputation. Most of them go into the profession because they care about people and want to make a difference in the world. They usually only see the bad side of people so they soon harden their hearts to what is good and then we see them as uncaring individuals. This video and your email back from this officer just shows that they do have hearts of gold, they just rarely get to let it show. Thanks for not only sharing the video but taking the time to send the Sheriff's department a thank you email. I'm sure they don't get very many positive messages from the public.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  11:34:20 AM  Show Profile
I've had some recent negative experiences with policeman when I've been in need of assistance with car troubles and they acted like I was a bother--one even started questioning me about where I was going when this happened, and ultimately decided he needed to "run my plates." (?") So I think there are many who have power trips and ego issues, but this guy definitely takes his job seriously--to protect and serve, is his department's moto and I think he's done well to make them proud.

His email back was so nice, he seemed really surprised by all the outpouring of goodwill.

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  7:39:41 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I saw this online yesterday. How cool that you actually got in touch with the guy! I've had some lousy experiences with cops lately (more in observing what they do than being on the receiving end of it myself) so it's nice to see another side.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Watch! MI deputy helps deer to safety Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page