Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Strep without sore throat???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Strep without sore throat??? Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  10:13:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls -

I'm posting partly to see if anyone has ever heard of or experienced this before, and partly to get your farmgirl opinions as to what to do.... Here goes:

I've never heard of strep coming without a sore throat until today. One of the girls I babysit was diagnosed with strep this afternoon; she hasn't had a sore throat, but it is definitely strep. The only throat soreness she has complained about happened when she swallowed - but that only started over the past two days, and she thought it was sore because the glands in her throat were swollen - it wasn't a constant soreness. Her sister is heading in to the doctor tomorrow. She was seen last week (with fever, coughing, sneezing, and exhaustion), but the doctor said she just had a bad cold - she was not tested for strep. My son and I haven't been feeling "right" for a couple of weeks now, either. We've been having similar symptoms to the girls, but I have just been chalking it up to the weather and the time change. Now, though, I'm concerned that we may have strep, too; but I really don't want to go to the doctor until more symptoms of strep are evident, otherwise we'll end up with no treatment now and having to go back next week for another appointment.

Maybe I should just let my son have the day off from homeschool tomorrow and let him sleep all day if he wants. I know that strep can run its course whether treated or untreated in a seven day period, so maybe a good day or two of rest will help him (and me) stave off further infection and give his body time and energy to heal. But I also know strep can be extremely dangerous if it becomes systemic, so if it's in our systems right now, I want to be sure the doctor gets it out!... Ugh... Do you think it's safe to wait it out a little bit and see what happens, or do you think I should just call and schedule appointments? Picking up the phone and talking to the doctor's office is pretty much a guarantee they're going to make us go in. Our office visit co-pay is pretty high; four co-pays for the both of us in less than a week would kill us if the strep didn't, I assure you. ;) So I'm honestly not sure whether or not I should call the doctor tomorrow, too. What are your thoughts? I don't want to be really REALLY sick for Thanksgiving, either, you know?

Ugh. Not fun.

Well, please do let me know if you have any experience with or thoughts about this. I'd really appreciate your input!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  04:42:09 AM  Show Profile
Nini- I would suggest that you both go in for a check with the doctor now. They can do a rapid strep test in the office followed by a 24 culture and give you the answer. Strep does not have to have the traditional sore throat and it is a dangerous bug. Untreated step can cause heart damage if it migrates there so it should always be treated with an antibiotic. Since you both have had several days nows of now feeling well and a diagnosed person in the house with strep, I suggest you not keep waiting. Like I said, they can get you a definitive answer in 24 hours. We all understand about co-pays but the issue is that you don't want to risk untreated strep because the results will be more expensive! Being a nurse and a mom who had a daughter that suffered from many bouts of strep as a young child, just go in and get peace of mind. The other thing out there is mono which also has similar symptoms to what you are describing. They can test for that and confirm. Again, this is something you want to know about to make sure you and your son got the proper rest and also to limit activity while the spleen was enlarged. My feeling is that you need answers here and none of us here in the forum can give you what you really need-- ie only an MD will be able to help. Good Luck!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  06:22:40 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much, Winnie. I'll be calling the doctor shortly! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  06:48:01 AM  Show Profile
Last January I had strep without a sore throat. I had just been to the dr 2 days before (for something completely unrelated), and I woke up not being able to swallow or talk b/c my tonsils were way huge. (It's not like they are small to begin with.) But yeah. There's a lot of stuff that can happen with strep...hope you're feeling better soon!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  06:59:03 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Pam. I just left a message at my son's doctor's office, so hopefully someone will get back to me very soon. I'll schedule my appointment once I've got his in place.

I meant to tell you, Winnie: I honestly had not even considered it could be mono! I am so glad you mentioned that - THANK YOU! That is EXACTLY how this feels! I had a bad case of it as a kid; I should've known. I pray that is not what either of us has! Eghads! No fun at all!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  8:19:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nini!
First I am sorry to hear that several of you are not feeling too well. Second I want to STRONGLY suggest that you DO go to the dotor to be tested right in the office.
Strep if left untreated can cause damage to your heart! Especially in children- very serious!
Oddly enought strep can mask itself in various ways. Some people dont get a sore throat or fever. Some people get a stomach ache as symptoms. Its all rather strange but definately not something you want to mess around with.
Good Luck and please keep us posted.
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..

Edited by - laurentany on Nov 17 2011 8:20:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  10:00:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laurie! I did speak with the nurse at the doctor's office today, explained what our symptoms have been over the past couple of weeks, and how the little girl I babysit, who has had the same symptoms, was just diagnosed with strep. Basically, she said that there are a whole bunch of nasty viruses going around right now, and they are finding that patients are taking a little bit longer than normal to get better. Since we don't have swollen glands or sore throats, it is quite possible that we're just fighting some virus; and since viruses aren't really treated, we should probably take the wait and see approach, and just call to come in and be seen if anything worsens. I was actually pretty surprised by her response, but like my DH said, they probably are overloaded with patients in the office right now, and are taking the more serious cases first. Yippee. So, for now, I guess we'll just take the next couple of days to rest and recoup and see what happens. I'll definitely call if anything worsens, though, don't worry! :) Thanks so much to all of you for your advice and well wishes - I really appreciate everything! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Strep without sore throat??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page