kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  3:25:59 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone do this? To me it's the NAIS. Same thing. But put differently.

When I bought my last 2 sheep just a few weeks ago, the lady said she had not had time to put the ear tags in them. That she would do it in a few weeks when she came to shear the ewes. I asked why and she said all sheep herds in the state of Ga. have to be registered and that I need to get an ID number for my farm. The other 2 people I bought sheep from never said a word about it to me.

So yesterday I went a place I can't remember the name of at the moment and the lady there said she had no idea but that I should go down to the Ga. Dept. pf Ag. and talk to them. So I did and my friend there said she did not know and the guy I needed to talk to was busy. So she gave me the # to the Atlanta dept. of Ag. Also a # of a guy here who has registered show sheep. So I talked to him about it. He said IF I were to have any of the sheep leave my property for any reason, then yes, they need to registered. These are mixed breed sheep so there will be no showing for them. They are meat breeds so I will be selling the lambs for meat. He said it was up to me if I wanted to register them with the state. But I don't want the sheep police to come knocking at my door one day to see my ID #.

So I am going to talk to the guy up on the mountain who just opened a slaughterhouse that is state inspected. I could only sell meat here in Ga. But there is an inspector at every single killing to inspect each animal. She will know what I should do.

I was just wondering if anyone has done this with your farms? I am so anti NAIS that I will probably not do it. The guy I talked to though said they are going to start doing this with goats next. Ugh! I hate when the government is in everyone's business.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  4:03:30 PM  Show Profile
This law has been in effect for several years, and covers sheep and goats being transported. It's all about scrapie, the form of "mad cow" that affects sheep and goats. It's pre-dates the announcement of the NAIS program, but not by much. Many are not following the law, they're getting terrible compliance, but if you don't, you can't legally take animals across state lines, to fairs or to sale barns. It may vary by state, but this was what I found in Arkansas.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  5:33:34 PM  Show Profile
I will never take one of my animals to a sale barn so I should be ok there. But as far as selling meat, I might have to do it. I did know it was about scraipies. But it's strange to me they don't know a sheep has it til it's killed. Why is there not a preventative shot for that?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Premise ID Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page