kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  09:58:10 AM  Show Profile
Ok, instead of living paycheck to paycheck, we are living egg to egg here. Thses stickin' hens have just about quit laying. I might find 1 or 2 eggs a day but latley I am lucky to find 1. I had no eggs at all this morning so we ate oatmeal. I was so hungry a few hours later. It's crazy.

And I wanted to make some cornbread for a my best friend's husband. He does not get cornbread much since she died back in May. So I try to make it for him when I can. But this morning, no eggs. I was going to send hubby to the store to get some but went out just now and found an egg! I was SO excited! So I am making cornbread for Kenneth.

I do not do the lights at night or anything special for my hens. They do free range. But I am going to get some laying feed today. I have 6 young pullets that should start laying any day and this seems to help them along. And I just refuse to buy eggs at the store. And people who sell eggs at the markets are charging $5.00 a dozen. Shoot, I can buy a hen for that much.

Anyone else out there living egg to egg these days?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Oct 30 2011 09:59:39 AM

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  10:03:07 AM  Show Profile
Yep. Earlier we had more eggs than we could eat. Now the girls are just slacking off. However, we do have quite a few young girls who should start laying any time now (and yeah they could hurry up with it) so hopefully we;ll get a few more eggs.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  11:13:25 AM  Show Profile
I had to put our light out. It boosted us up from 2-3 to 6 yesterday :) We have 3 pullets who started laying in the last month and a half, and I have 4 who will start in December.

We sell our 12 packs for 2 bucks and our 18s for 3. It covers the feed costs and I don't think it's right to gouge people.

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  11:17:58 AM  Show Profile
My ducks are still not laying. The adults I got this summer seem to have clocked out because it's not "breeding season"-- I never got a single one from them, and my campbells are not quite old enough and one of them just committed suicide this morning. I'm starting to think we are going to eat an awful lot of duck after Christmas...

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  3:30:21 PM  Show Profile
I am getting 1to 1 1/2 dozen a day, all of February pullets have started to lay, there are 28 of them and none of the guys were DH works are buying. We charge $1.50 a dozen, the local feed stores are getting $2.50. I have a red light on at night to prevent accidents in the dark. I am not complaining about the abundance, I have lots of eggy recipes to use. I feed 1 part whole oats, 1 part scratch grain, and 2 parts lay mash, with oyster shell in bunny feeders on demand. Since we have no grass or bugs, the girls get all of the veggie scraps that would normal go in the compost pile. We did get 3/4" of rain last Thursday and are very gratefull for it. Farm life, gotta love it.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  3:59:31 PM  Show Profile
The only comment I have is, your hen's are free range, are you sure you know where they are all laying, or is it possible something is getting the eggs before you...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  5:58:19 PM  Show Profile
I went to Tractor Supply to get laying feed. I was shocked to say the least. When did it get so expensive? $17. for Purina and $15 for Dumore. Good grief! I asked about it and the girl said it's becaues of the corn. Well, don't we grow boatloads of corn and aren't we like the #1 country that grows corn? She said it's because corn is made into fuel and all that balogna. I went ahead and bought the lesser bag and will mix it with the scratch and strtch it as far as it will go. And I better get some flippin' eggs!

Yes, I go on an egg hunt every day around here. And I listen for the egg laying song and run to where I hear it and look around. There are a few places they lay regularly. I have found some other spots and will leave an egg so they will lay more but they never do. I might leave the chickens in the coop for a few days with this laying feed and see what happens.

And I will look more thoroughly tomorrow for new nests. I need to do some baking this week.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  6:54:07 PM  Show Profile
I keep my hens in the coop/pen area until afternoon, then I let them out to free range. This way they normally lay all their eggs in the nest boxes. This morning I got 9 eggs from 11 hens. I think that's pretty good. :) I'm going to put a heat lamp in this winter to help with keeping them warm and giving them extra light so they'll keep laying. I may not be saving any money but I get good eggs instead of those pale imitations in the grocery store.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  06:34:09 AM  Show Profile
I put some of the laying feed and scratch in the hanging feeder this morning and left them all in there. I'll let them out this afternoon. I have about 13 hens that do not go in that coop though. I gave them some laying feed too. I need to find a place to put theirs where the goats or dogs won't eat it. My dogs are eating the grain that's left over or gets knocked out of the stanchions after milking. Crazy dogs. So I have to be careful where I put things now. So hopefully I will get a few eggs out of this now. And I so wanted some eggs and grits with sausage this morning. I'll just skip the eggs.

Kimberly, that is alot of eggs. Are they young hens? Most of mine are over 2 years old now but have been laying eggs up til now. I sure hope these young ones start soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  08:02:50 AM  Show Profile
Kris I know the sticker shock on feed is more then I can afford at times... My hens have been laying like there is no tomorrow so I have been freezer the raw eggs so when they do slow down I will not be forced to purchase crappy store eggs. When I told a customer how much it costs me to produce an egg he now understood why I sell mine also for $5.00 a dozen - if he wishes not to purchase it just means more for me during the winter.... We have given our feed sources away for all the wrong things - No wonder our country is in such straits. This morning I had 18 eggs - not bad for 23 hens and two might decide to lay later in the day- they are the slow ones. Hang in there - I know it is sad to go out and find nothing... Which you where closer I would share my eggs...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  10:04:53 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I do too. I see all you who are getting so many eggs and I am SO jealous. And y'all are way colder than we are here.Oh well, I know one day they will pick back up again. And good for you for being able to sell your eggs for that much and people buying them. I was selling mine for $3.00 and felt bad but everyone said that was not enough. Some would pay more. I sure miss those days. (Grace, I got my wool sheep Saturday! I love them already. One is full Finn and a dark brown and she's so beautiful. The other is 1/2 Suffolk and 1/2 Finn. She's way lighter and bottle raised so alot friendlier. I love them both. I have them separated from the rest for now. They are both 6 months old so I think I'll wait a few months to breed them.)

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  10:33:30 AM  Show Profile
Yes my hens are young, that definately helps!! :) I'm hoping to get a couple of Brahma hens and rooster and then have my Brahmas, Orpingtons raise babies for me!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  2:19:54 PM  Show Profile
our hens have slowed down laying in the last couple of weeks, but i think it will pick up soon, our hens were molting. If you are looking for a cheaper way to increase protein in your feed, try to get a bag of soy meal from the elevator or coop. it 17% protein and can be mixed with any thing, we use it to help grow our butcher guineas.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  6:00:18 PM  Show Profile
Kris how exciting about the new sheep can't wait to hear more.. Enjoy!!! As for sell the eggs I am keeping them to myself right now so I can have more for winter - I had to purchase store eggs last year and won't be doing that again. Many times my fiber customers want eggs and so I just let them pay me what they think is fair and I get still around 5.00 but they also understand that any money coming into this place goes to take care of the animals - all the animals so they are kind... Not to make you feel bad Kris but I did make egg drop soup for dinner tonight and wished I could have served you up a bowl.. Again, congrat's on the new furry babies...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  7:45:14 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly, I love my Buffs. They have been great chickens. I would like to have some more Welsummers and some Cuckoo Marans maybe next spring. I love their beautiful eggs. I have 4 Americana hens that are probably more like 3 and I have not gotten an egg from any of them in awhile.

Megan, thanks for your suggestion.But I try to stay away from soy as much as I am able to. I know it's in practically every kind of food out there. And is in the goat feed too. I'll have to read the label on the laying feed but I bet it's in there too. This laying mix is 16% so that's pretty good. I know they need more protein and I hate feeding them corn. But they need that in the winter to help them keep warm. I did get an egg today! But I need 2 to make some cookies for Bible study tomorrow so I hope there will be another one in the morning.

Grace, I LOVE egg drop soup. Can you share your recipe? My grandkids like it too. I have lots of chicken broth. And I just made beef broth today. That would be great to have you for a neighbor. There is so much to learn about wool. I am so glad I got these sheep. Do you think they would be old enough to breed right now? They are both really big girls. I know my 3 Katahdin ewes are all pregnant and they will all be a year old in Dec. My ram is only 6 months old.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  9:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Living egg to egg implies you at least have eggs! LOL! My pullets still haven't started yet and now the daylight is getting less and less. Am afraid I won't get any eggs now till Spring.

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lwm
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Loralie
Duncan AZ
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  9:21:34 PM  Show Profile
My hens have really slowed down in producing also. They are mostly older hens. I'm thinking it may be time to put them in the crock pot & start with new chicks in the spring. My daughter lives next door & her hens are younger & producing better, so she'll share with me through the winter.
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  09:33:32 AM  Show Profile
I feed my girls a mixture, 1 pound each, lay crumble, whole oats, scratch grains every evening at lockup time. During the day, I put 1 pound of whole oats in the pen before I open the henhouse door. I let them out around 1 pm daily to forage, they raid the compost pile every time I empty the bucket there, and yesterday they got 3 pumpkins as a treat (pumpkin seeds area natural wormer) also, In the spring I feed dog kibble for the extra protein to help get the spring laying off to a good start, 1 pound kibble in the above mix, usually one 20 bag gets the girls going.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  12:57:11 PM  Show Profile
I got 2 eggs yesterday! 1 was in the coop with all those in lock down. A green egg. So I know those girls still have it in them.

I raked up a bunch of the goat hay and put it in the coop for them. It's raining right now and just wet and yucky outside. It's not cold just wet. So that will give them all something to do while they are in. They love scratching around looking for bugs and goat poop.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  1:34:45 PM  Show Profile
Congrat's on the 2 eggs. I gave my girls some pine needles before the big blizzard here which kept them busy while they where locked up. Last storm they got some peppermint plants that I cut before the frost and they loved them and the coop sure smelled great when I opened the door the next morning. Today they are getting some shredded paper to play with - this makes a great addition in the compost when I clean the coop. Worms love paper.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  2:06:34 PM  Show Profile
I've got a bucnh of chickens running around here and I'm only getting one egg a day,at least it's a huge egg from one of my older barred rock hens,the others are all molting and the other ones were just hatched in September so I'm hoping once the older hens get through thier molt I'll get some more again,all the ones I have don't slow down much during Winter and I don't provide them with a lamp either,I don't like to gamble on the fire risk of having one out there.
I have a bunch of new hens running around that should start laying this Spring so I'm hoping that they'll make up for this slow egg time.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  04:35:50 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kris,
The coyotes killed all of my chickens! waiting until spring to get more! i miss baking with all of my fresh eggs!!

Kelly #238

May your bobbin always be full...
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  06:59:28 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, I'm so sorry you lost all your chickens. I can't even imagine that happening. I here them all over out here sometimes but they go through really fast.

I made some feta cheese for my friend up the road that I walk with. They have chickens that are laying pretty good right now. So she gave me a dozen eggs this morning! She's going to give me 5 dozen for the cheese. I am so happy now. And they are so pretty. Now I can make bread.

I did get 2 eggs yesterday so I am getting at least 2 a day now but sometimes I don't get any.

Kathryn, I feel the same way about a light around all that hay on the floor of the coops or barn. Too scary. I did that once and had a fire and I will not do it again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  09:42:06 AM  Show Profile
If you want more eggs you really do have to have a light on to make the day seem longer for them. they have to have at least I think it is 12 hours of daylight a day. It may be more than that. it really is how much light they get not necessarily what or how much they eat. look it up...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  4:05:03 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, that is an interesting feast your hens get! I will be taking note of that so when I get my next set of hens!

Kelly #238

May your bobbin always be full...
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  2:28:56 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry to hear about your hens kelly,it's so upsetting to invest so much time and love into your animals and come out to find them killed by some fly by night critter,I sure wish you were closer as I would sack up some of these young pullets I have running around here and give them to you,I had a dark cornish hen hatch sixteen chicks at once and then I got quite a few more from my blue wyandottes and these hens were sitting on a mixture of eggs from my variety of hens so I have a very colorful flock,wish I could share them with you and help get you started again.
Lights sure did help stimulate better egg production,I used to use a red bulb with my hens but last year I had a heat lamp in my goat shed and the outfit came loose,leaned against the wall of the shed and smoldered there,thankfully it didn't burst into flames but the smoke was terrible and caused permanent lung damage to one of my nice Nubian does so if you use lights definitely be sure that they are well mounted,my barn at the time was real old and apparently the screws mounting the lamp to the wall gradually rusted out over time so check all electrical implements all the time if you use them in your housing,I wish I had been more careful but it could have been alot worse.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Living "egg to egg". Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page