Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do you have a fear of flying??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you have a fear of flying?? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  8:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Weelll.... I don't mind flying, per se... It's the idea of the screaming barrel roll as the plane plummets to the earth that really bothers me.

Ever since I was a little girl, every time I've flown there has been a major plane crash, so that really freaks me out.

Ergo I don't fly.

I would fly if I absolutely had to, I suppose, but I'm hoping I never have to. (I wouldn't want to miss out on a trip to, say, Ireland or Israel or France or Greece or Italy, though, so I'm keeping my options open.)

My sister, on the other hand, flies all the time with her job, God bless her, and she loves it - the TSA doesn't even bother her!

I have to say, though, that being above the clouds, seeing all the beautiful landscapes below - those are two of the most breathtaking experiences in the world. There's just nothing like it!

I had heard a televised sermon once in which the priest said it indeed was foolishness and folly to avoid flying. God is in control, and if it's your time, it's your time - you can't avoid the inevitable. My husband's cousin is a retired state trooper and he said that after all the investigations he has performed in accidents of all kinds, he is convinced of the same.

I suppose in the end what really matters is that we understand what our true final destination is, and that we subsequently accept that we are not in control of the when or how, really. It can happen in the blink of an eye no matter how many precautions we take to avoid it...

I'm just not going to be blinking in a blinking airplane when it happens! ;) LOL!

Susan - than you for sharing that poem - it's absolutely beautiful!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  06:39:07 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I knew we were kindred sisters! :-) And yes, I do believe that God knows the numbers of my days ever before one of them came to be (Psalm 139) but I can't stand the feeling of dropping when you hit turbulence or looking sideways down at the earth when they bank and in a little plane, it is that much worse!! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  07:36:52 AM  Show Profile
I used to love flying and even flew my own small plane in my younger years, but since 9/11 every blasted time I've been on a plane there has been some major security problem. I was stuck in central California for 22 hours last time due to some one finding a sharp object in a bathroom and then they for unknown reasons, took my lap top and wouldn't give it back until the end of my airport ordeal. I like that they are trying to ensure safety, but I don't like being treated as a possible criminal. If I need to travel, I'll ride a darned horse! I REALLY want to go visit distant relations living in Europe and travel around the Mediterranean but I don't want to go through another plane fiasco =
Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  07:44:38 AM  Show Profile
I never have, actually--I was first put on a plane when I was 7, by myself, to go to Chicago to visit relatives. The airline took care of me the whole way and my relatives met me at the gate. I felt so...grown up, I remember :) I love it--love the sound, love take off AND landing--I can get a little bored on an overseas flight. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is sitting on the wing or near the engine--wing, because you can't see, and the engine, because the noise is just too much and I actually get a headache from fumes. When I went to school near Traverse City, the airport only had one gate, and when I came home 4-5 times a year, it was on a prop plane until I transferred at Midway or Detroit and that's when sitting near the engine was just a little much.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Nov 14 2011 09:10:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  09:05:53 AM  Show Profile
OMG! Yes, I hate to fly. My stomach does flips if I even think of walking onto a plane! If we can't drive or go by train or some other means of transportation I usually don't go. I would probably make an exception if I were ever to get lucky enough to go to England/Scotland but that is my only travel wish. I get the shudders if I watch a plane in the air. And now that they have so many invasive searches just to get on a plane, FORGET IT! I don't need to go that bad!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  09:08:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh I forgot to add that I've had dreams since I was a young girl that I witness planes falling out of the sky in front of me! Do you suppose those are where my fear comes from, LOL?

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  11:52:49 AM  Show Profile
use to fly a single engine way back before kiddies. loved every minute of it and would love to go and do it again.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  11:59:03 AM  Show Profile
Patricia, well you just need to come down here to Oklahoma and my son will take you up like he did us! He'll even let you fly it! :-) I put pictures up last week at the blog if you are interested.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  4:26:01 PM  Show Profile
seriously Mary Beth I would be down in a heartbeat if I could !
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  4:29:16 PM  Show Profile
and I loved the pictures you took, I remember how awesome the earth looks from 3000 feet how the farmland looks like squares all lined up in shades of browns and greens. how far you can see with a clear sky, I just loved it
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  4:31:36 PM  Show Profile
Well, Ohio isn't THAT far!! And I can take you to the Cowboy Hall of Fame and to the Red Earth Native American Festival!! You'll get it all. :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you have a fear of flying?? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page