Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do you have a fear of flying??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you have a fear of flying?? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  08:06:05 AM  Show Profile
Is it wimpy to admit that I hate, hate, hate to fly? I don't like the feeling, I don't like the sounds and I don't like the close quarters. It's bad enough that I'm afraid of heights, but boy, get me in a plane and I'm begging for valium!! What about you? Anybody else out there a weenie too? :-)

My son took me flying on Sunday. I wrote about the trip and put up pictures at the blog if you want to see what northwestern Oklahoma looks like from the air from a really, really little plane! Not sure I'll be doing it again, but it made him happy and that's what it's all about, right?

And when you leave a comment, you are entered in the giveaway for an Apple Peeler and Corer and Apple Cinnamon Bread Mix.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19

Edited by - Okie Farm Girl on Nov 11 2011 08:31:45 AM

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  08:44:14 AM  Show Profile
I understand your feelings. I'm a pilot's daughter. If my Daddy is at the controls, I'm good because I'd trust him anytime, anywhere in any situation. But you put someone else at the controls and I get nervous. But my real FEAR is the ocean. Boats and I are not friends. I was in a ship once that tried to go down. Worst storm, captain of the ship said we can't go, politician got involved and forced them to. STUPID, never tell a ships captain or a pilot when it's safe to go. Those waves were incredible and that was not a fun trip.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  08:54:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh man I love flying-the feel of the jet,the sound of the engines,and watching the ground race away from you as you take off. Turbulance isn't fun,however,and it always seems to hit when A cup of coffee is delivered to my seat. Boats I'm not afraid to be on even tho I don't know how to swim. (I know that's not logical) I do get spooked in swimming pools because I don't know how to swim. I think most people are afraid of doing at least one thing whatever it may be.

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

http://www.fiddlebelle.com
http://www.celticcowgirl.me

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,dulcimer playin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  11:10:51 AM  Show Profile
Can you say drugs????!!!!! Each time I get on a plane I have to take my go to sleep drugs just before i get on so I sleep the whole trip.....I found out years ago I am no so scared of the plane but not being in control of the situation....so instead of climbing the cabin walls I sleep....Trips that go on for too long mean alot of meds but so far I have not screamed or climbed over the seats...lol...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  11:18:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh. I hadn't even thought about boats. Hmmm. Not sure I'd be as bad on a boat as on a plane. At least the boat isn't in the air!! But Kimberly, that story is pretty scary so I don't know about boats either. If my son buys a boat too, I may just have to give up going to see him!
:-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  11:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Nope, not at all! I don't much like the cramped seating, but since I know that will be the case I try to pick my seat if possible, and defintely plan for all of it. The absolute worst part of all of it is going through security . . . YUKKKK!!!!! AND, I'm not particularly fond of going through immigration and customs when flying to and from another country. BUT, I know that I have to do that so I can sort of prepare for that as well. Just put another stamp in my passport please! :)

But it doesn't bother me in the least to fly . . . I've been in two-seaters, commuters, BIG planes of every description, have flown over the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean. Have flown in helicopters and even with the doors off . . . I love that!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

from my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  11:55:27 AM  Show Profile
CeeJay, you are a brave, brave woman indeed. I take my bonnet off to you!! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  3:32:06 PM  Show Profile
Me! I HATE airpalnes. I flew all the time when I was a kid, from Ga. to Calif. But always at night. The last time I flew was 3 years ago from Denver to Portland Or. I was a nervous wreck. I could not take my hands off the seat in front of me. And it was a few days before Halloween with a whole bunch of college kids. They got up after the plane took off and gave everyone candy the whole trip. They had to put mine on my lap.It was awful.

And I have had so many opportunities to go to Italy and the Virgin Islands, paid for, but I am too scared to fly across the oceans. I did say that if Mrs. T is able to go to Italy next summer, I am going to go. There really is NO excuse and this is a once in a life time trip for me. It's so stupid not to go.

And there is NO way I would EVER go on a cruise. Never. My hubby wants to go and I said he will just have to take the kids. I'll stay my scared self at the house.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  4:14:43 PM  Show Profile
I would be the one you all would be reading about on the front page of the newspaper, total panic, and complete freak out, the air marshel would be tackleing me and duct tapeing me to a seat with a gun to my head for the remainder of the flight, to the closest airport to take me to jail, that is if I didn't die from a massive heart attack first...so NO, I will not fly, if I can't drive oe walk there, I'm not going!!!and no one can make me...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  4:14:46 PM  Show Profile
I adore flying! Matter of fact if I was not a farm girl with loads of animals, I would be a travel girl with a packed bag by the door! I find it so exhilarating! But then I used to technical climb mountain faces and rappel down too LOL :-D

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  4:52:45 PM  Show Profile
I'm terrified of heights, and airplanes. My first service date at the USO Post was to send off National Guardsmen. Outside, on the tarmack, was a huge plane. The other girls, and our resident grumpy old man, tried to get me to come up and watch the civies that had loaded the plane as they rode the conveyor belt down. It took them five minutes to even get near enough to the window to watch. I was shaking! I am 31, going on 32, and I have never stepped foot on a plane.

Oddly enough, I should be more afraid of helicopters, but I would be more willing to fly in a chopper than a plane!!

Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  5:10:40 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, I think about Physics.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  5:28:58 PM  Show Profile
teehee one_dog! No kidding!! When I was a little girl, my Daddy lived in Africa for a year, and one trip home, a Nigerian Air plane sat on one side of his plane. He watched it for a moment, then looked out the other side. A HUGE crash came from outside and when Daddy looked back, the engine of the Nigerian Air plane had FALLEN OFF!!!

Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  5:35:44 PM  Show Profile
I'm only nervous when taking off and when landing, but not much. I know how to swim so I'm not afraid of boats. You couldn't get me to skydive unless my life depended on it. I'm also more afraid of dogs than I am of flying.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com

Edited by - FarmDream on Nov 11 2011 5:36:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  02:47:41 AM  Show Profile
It's the sudden stop when the plane plows into the ground that deters me.

Ships, I'm cool with that. Boats, not so much.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1501 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  07:37:43 AM  Show Profile
I don't mind flying, but I have inner ear issues and often have headaches during takeoff and landing or if the air pressure in the cabin changes. And when there is turbulence my head feels like a huge rubber band being stretched and let go. For these reasons I'd much rather drive or take a train, but I love traveling so I've learned to just deal with it to get where I want to go.

I am however, not a water lover. I enjoy canoeing and kayaking, but put me in a bigger boat and I'm not a happy camper. The only big boat trip I have ever truly enjoyed was the Gota Canal ride between Gothenburg and Stockholm in Sweden. Most of the trip is on a canal and except when we were traveling across a lake or through the islands near Stockholm I could jump on and off the boat and walk alongside. I think that freedom is what made it enjoyable for me. Also being able to see the shoreline helps alot. I don't think I could every stand to be cooped up on a cruise ship.

I have a ton of respect for my ancestors who spent 30 days on a ship bobbing across the ocean to get to America! Can you imagine what they might think to know that it is now possible to get there in less than a day?

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Nov 12 2011 07:39:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  08:05:31 AM  Show Profile
Trish, my point exactly!!!! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  09:10:32 AM  Show Profile
I don't mind flying. I even rode on a helicopter once. I am afraid of heights though but I can't let the fear overtake me.

I am not afraid of boats (canoe, motorboats, sailboats) also even though I am not a good swimmer.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  09:58:40 AM  Show Profile
I love flying in a privite plane. I don't mind, flying commercial but absolutely refuse to fly anywhere. I think all the search/xrays are unconstutional. Just because you buy an airplane ticket, they do not have the right to search you at the airport anymore than they have a right to come in your house and go through your underware drawer.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  10:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Oh I HATE to fly!! I hate the airport, even when I'm picking someone up or dropping them off! I am terrified for them. They just got out of, or are on their way up into, the air! Ahhhh!!!! I successfully avoided flying until my 22nd bday. A family member was getting married, and I couldn't get a babysitter for the length of time it would take me to drive to los vagus from sac. My ex-husbands grandmother wouldn't let me miss the wedding, so I was handed a plane ticket. It was only a 52 min flight, but it felt like an eternity. The flight there was fairly uneventful, but home was a nightmare for me. Tons of turbulence, screaming sounds from outside the plane, jerking around, I believe I bruised my SIS-in-laws arm in gripping her for my life!! That was my very last time on a plane.
In two months, I am to fly to Florida with my DH, to get to the port for a cruise. I love the water, I adore cruise ships, I love to travel, and am terrified to fly. It has held up back quite a bit. Id so rather take a train, car, boat, bike, walk... LOL. So I swallowed my fear, and booked the cruise for Feb, as a Christmas present for my DH, and I had to book a flight...God help me!! I'm claustrophobic, afraid of hights, and severely sensitive to medications, so I can't take anything. My poor DH, he may not be all that excited about the trip after our flight to the port!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge

Edited by - Heartbroken farmgirl on Nov 12 2011 10:37:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  12:23:01 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE flying. I´d better love it because I fly to Thailand every year lol. A 13 plus hr flight. The only drawback is that since I am tall...not enough space for my long legs haha. Been to the USA as well, and also did an flight to another state then. AND to Australia that too almost 36 hrs.

Put me on a plain and I am happy. Been on good flights and bad once...not so funny with the bad ones but hey...it is way more dangerous to drive a car (or ride a bike lol) than to go in a plane

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  8:17:27 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, Marian, I bet you DO have to travel alot. I would love to go to Europe sometime, but just don't know if I could handle the flight. Bleh. I was thrilled to be able to make my son happy by letting him take us up. It was kinda weird having my son as our pilot!! But it was so good to see him smile so proud. I guess I've done my mom thing for the next several years!! ;-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  12:19:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm an old flight attendant. I love to fly. The sounds of taking off and landing sound beautiful to me. Now that I now longer work, when I fly I actually enjoy the time in airports waiting for my flights. It just feels familiar - LOL. I guess it all depends on your life experiences. I've always loved this poem and thought it might calm those of you that struggle when you fly:

High Flight
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee
No 412 squadron, RCAF
Killed 11 December 1941

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  2:07:40 PM  Show Profile
I love to fly - and had to fly a lot this year for work. I'm not wild about the work part - but flying is fine. I still love to look out the windows (although on big jets I chose aisle seats) and marvel at the landscape below and the clouds all around... Also, I love an adventure and hope to travel more for fun instead of work soon. We've been to England several times and can't wait to go back. I'm not so crazy about boats - never wanted to go on a cruise - although, I like sailboats - its so quiet and peaceful.

Susan - that's a great poem.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  2:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lorraine. I think it's lovely also. It's sort of known as a pilot's poem. It was written by a pilot during WWII. I'll never forget President Reagan reciting it during the memorial for the Challenger astronauts.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  7:14:01 PM  Show Profile
I use to, I had to be sedated to fly. But I was in Dallas Texas when 9/11 happened. So I asked GOD to help me and protect me when I had to come back to GA. And I wanted to be alert just in case I was sitting near a person that didnt seem if they were acting right. I still have butterflies in my stomach when the plane takes off. To give you an example my DH and I went to Hong Kong this past April. I did real good.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you have a fear of flying?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page