gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  4:41:51 PM  Show Profile
I really want a couple of new dogs what kind do you suggest?

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  5:06:29 PM  Show Profile
The kind from a kill shelter.

In my dreams I have an olde English Bulldog, a purebred Cairn Terrier that rings a little bell when it needs out, and Staffordshire Terrier. Maybe a Basenji.

She had rings on her fingers and bells on her shoes.
And I knew without asking she was into the blues.

Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  5:14:15 PM  Show Profile
I have a cairn terrier too. My husband adopt our beloved pit-bull from the shelter few years back. The terrier and pit-bull was best-friends.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  6:46:18 PM  Show Profile
GREAT DANES!!!!!!!!!
My heart is all Dane
Pic is of my dear Dane Emily, who passed in 2007. I have never been the same. She had my heart
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  7:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love Aussies and now English Shepherds...very fun loving and loyal...but really if the dog speaks to your heart no matter what the breed you can't go wrong :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  7:22:04 PM  Show Profile
It would depend on where you live, are they going to be house dogs, lap dogs, running partners, working/guardian dogs, do you have livestock, cause not all breeds do well even from puppyhood, their prey drive can be too high...have you had dogs in the past that make you want that type of breed, character and disposition, do you want to "rescue" a dog, or does it have to be a puupy, do you have kids or grandkids, can you comfortbly afford to feed and care for a large breed, do you want a mix, or a purebred (both are at rescues), and do you have the time you will need to be with him/her everyday for several hours to train and socialize, do you have a small yard or do you have acreage, answer these questions and we all can give you our opinions...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  7:30:02 PM  Show Profile
The boy I just lost last week was a purebred Cairn Terrier. They are so full of character. I'm one of those that must mourn for my lost love before I can get a new one but DH and I are already talking about maybe getting one this coming spring. Actually, we decided we'd probably get more than one this time! Check out http://www.cairnrescue.com/ if you'd like to give a needy Cairn a good home or as they say on their website, if you home is in need of a Cairn. Also they have some great videos on You tube. Just search for Cairn Terriers.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  7:37:34 PM  Show Profile
Audrey-
I have the same color also. I will try to find a picture of him & post him here.

They are the sweetest and he always makes me laugh. He loves to follow me...when I go to basement, cook, bathroom...almost everywhere.

Also when I point at my husband he barks at him. He is my alarm clock when my husband takes nap and he doesn't wake up, he also telling my husband not to pick on me....all i have to do is to point a finger at him.

Edited by - njaw09 on Nov 09 2011 7:56:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  04:00:21 AM  Show Profile
Diana,
Do you still have the little white dog?
I think you need to adopt a couple of dogs, go to a shelter and just get a feel for some.

This is my rescue Corgi/Australian Shepherd, Molly Mc Gee

This is my other rescue English Bulldog, Ms Tankins

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  05:00:36 AM  Show Profile
What ever you do DON'T get a Jack Russell Terrier unless you have boundless energy, extreme patience, a great sense of humor and an off the chain pair of running shoes-

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  05:19:06 AM  Show Profile
Wilma was on the 24 hour list at the local animal shelter. She was one of several on the list to be euthanized the day she proudly walked out of the shelter and jumped into the back seat of our car.

Hazel was from a puppy mill breeder who had sold all he wanted and was in the process of physically disposing of the rest when she was rescued by a very nice couple.

Sophie was saved from a high kill shelter and fostered by a lady who normally rescues Golden Retrievers. She was at the shelter to pick up a Golden when she saw Sophie in the kennel next to it and knew she had to get her out of there.

We drove to Follansbee, WV to get Beauregard. His shelter name was "Highway", because that is where they found him wandering.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  06:49:17 AM  Show Profile
I love you, Paula :)

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  06:54:40 AM  Show Profile
Most dogs choose us. If you go to a shelter, the dog will speak to you and you will know in an instant. Bubba and Stella chose us. And I am so glad they did.

All these dogs are so sweet. But you have to know if you want a little dog or a big dog. I am more of a big dog person. Good luck! I hope to see pictures of your new friends here soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  06:56:38 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, your dane is beautiful. I'm so sorry about your loss. My friend has a harliquin just like her.

Farmgirl Sister #2667
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  06:56:47 AM  Show Profile
oh melody, you made me laugh. yes like getting a puppy and forgetting its a long time growing up. i just spent night hours a while back looking for my yorkie. if he smells skunk at dusk---GONE-- soooo all the ideas and questions here are great to ponder. keep us all posted. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  06:59:24 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I'm all about shelter dogs, though, like Trish, in my dreams there is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, a Siberian Husky like my Lily-girl, who passed several years back and a Airedale Terrier...

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  07:06:48 AM  Show Profile
I want a Corgi too.
here are my dogs that no one wanted, but me.
Jasper had 9 days to live. His Petfinder ad was scary looking, and when we met him, we figured out why. They took the profile pics in a room full of cats in cages, and some are wandering free.

Tina was a phantom poop and peer. We got her from friends that said she was house broken. Accidents are few and far between now. Mainly, I forget to put her out after she gets excited.
Wouldn't you know these people, who spent $700 on Tina. from a pet shop, have a new dog to replace her. I'm not into Irish setter types, so they'll have to find someone else.

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  07:08:03 AM  Show Profile
Sorry it's so huge, I'm in a fight with Photobucket.

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  07:22:02 AM  Show Profile
So I love all the advice I have LOTS of room 30+ acres and no other large critters just the odd deer that come thorough and the turkeys.
I had always wanted a Newfoundland and had 2 of the best. Both have since passed on I do have a Spitz who is deaf and I feel that he is a target waiting to get eaten. He is 13+years old and I really don't trust him around the grand kids if they startle him which is all too easy.
I have no shelters that would allow me to adopt as they will not allow if you don't have a completely fenced in yard and that is not doable or wanted.
So my only way is through a breeder. But I just wanted some incite as to what everybody has. I really like the idea of a non shedding and nonallergic. Both my daughters are some what sensitive to pet hair.

Thanks Ladies
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  10:04:35 AM  Show Profile
Cairns are known as non shedding and non-allerginic. Sounds like you need one that would be a guardian to your Spitz. How about the local paper? Lot's of people put in ads for free dogs that are older and for what ever reason they need to go to a new home. We found a stray a couple of weeks ago, just came right up to us as we were out on our property. It was a beautiful young G shepard I put her in our dog run we got for Hobbs which he never used. I asked her if she were to stay with us if she would guard Hobbs from the coyotes and she wagged her tail yes. Found out one of our neighbors was dog sitting her and she took off looking for her real dad. All was well since we lost Hobbs shortly thereafter.

Keep us posted on your quest.

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  11:24:38 AM  Show Profile
How are Cairns with little kids? I have always wanted a terrier and am really looking seriously at a Cairn. I have wanted white and black Scotty dogs too. I will have to look on line. I have really no other access as to dogs for sale or adoption.
Thanks for the information.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  12:06:23 PM  Show Profile
This is a good way to find a specific type of dog, or the closest dog of your choice to your area. http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  3:12:12 PM  Show Profile
Diana,the "white" scotty dogs are actualy "West Highland Terriers", commanly called Westies, they are great with all, and very good mousers, work well with livestock, and love going for walks...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  07:20:55 AM  Show Profile
We never had kids so I really don't have any experience with mine. All my nieces and nephews were a bit older when we got him (I think the youngest was 5). All the Cairn Terrier groups advise if you are going to adopt one that you not have children in the home that are under 10. I think that is for full time members of the home and not just occassional vistors. I'm one of those that was always super paranoid that my dog would bite one of the kids so I was always hyper-vigilant. Nothing ever happened thank God but one of my nieces was bit at a family reunion by a cousins dog and I never wanted that to be my dog. The Cairn is reputed to be one of the calmer terriers, he was my first and only so I can't compare. We called him a couch potatoe but when people came to visit he was very active and involved so people thought he was more hyper than he actually was.

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  08:34:27 AM  Show Profile
My great loves are for Great pyrs for livestock guards, german shepherds for personal protection, and beagles for "small dogs" and doxies for lap dogs!

I've currently got a couple pyr hybrids and a welsh corgi and the corgi has a napoleonic complex!! He's also a cowardly little sissy yappy dog, but he is excessively cute.

If I were to go out and look for a dog I would visit some shelters and also look at independent rescue/foster groups. When you adopt a puppy from either of those sources you're doing good because at the very least you are freeing up resources they can use to help other needy animals.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Nov 11 2011 08:36:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  08:07:21 AM  Show Profile
What about a retired racing Greyhound? They are not called 40 mile an hour couch potatoes for nothing! They are very low key once retired. We have had four over the years, and they make absolutely wonderful dogs. They do need a walk a couple times a day if you do not have a fenced yard, but you will never meet a more grateful animal, as one who has been rescued from the jaws of the racing industry (that applies to horses and dogs!)

There are many wonderful rescues all over the country. Here are pics of our two current Greyfaces <3 "Festus" who is 10 and "Willow" who is our Old Gal at 15!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic New puppy what kind? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page