True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  07:08:12 AM  Show Profile
Wow she is having another child?

My grandmother had 15 kids on my father side. But back than they needed more kids so they can help out the family and not base on religion.

As long they can manage it I have nothing against it. They are consider lucky now that they have their own reality shows and books to keep their expense otherwise it might be hard now that the economy is bad.

In a way I like their way of approach of shopping thrift and etc but all those diapers (I am not sure if they use cloth or ...) I also know they use lots of plastic cups and paper plates (quite wasteful for the environment).

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  07:14:46 AM  Show Profile
Just seeing the picture of the whole family together is mind blowing. We had a picture with a similar number of people at a family reunion but that was grandparent, kids, grandkids and great grandkids and all the respective spouses. Their picture is immediate family only! I guess after about the 6th child does it really matter how many more? I mean a big family is a big family. I think they are a loving family so those kids shouldn't lack for attention. I just hope they don't stretch the limit with her health, I believe it would be catastrophic is something were to happen to either of the parents. It is in any family but with one that is that large, whew! God has certainly blessed them in the fertility department!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  07:19:52 AM  Show Profile
Being of Mennonite heritage I'm used to seeing large families. 20 is a lot but I've seen lots of families of 10,13, 15 etc. I think it's no one's business how many they decide to have. Me personally, I wouldn't want a family that big and after having one with health issues I wouldn't be trying again, but that's me not them.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  10:18:56 AM  Show Profile
I am not a religious person but I must say i admire Michelle's faith in God, she seems to be such a strong woman at heart & you can always see the love she has for her family in her eyes....Plus she has to be strong to carry 20 babies in her lifetime....I just love her 2 oldest daugs who i think are also wonderful mothers to the children even when they are tired...I surely couldn't do what any of those girls do...my nerves couldn't take it thats for sure...but you have to admire that they are doing this on their own & did it before they ever got on TV...no state of federal help....that Jimbob seems, though quiet to be very smart....investing in properties seems to have worked for them....I too, believe that what they do is their business & who am I to judge a family so big when they all seem to be the type of children we all wish we could have, caring, loving & responsible.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  10:43:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! I've been a fan of this family since their first special 14 Kids and Pregnant Again, and I think that if they can handle it, go for it. The children are all happy and well-cared for, so I guess to each their own! They're an incredibly inspiring family, and I think they inspire so many families.
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  10:47:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure how I feel--I've never watched the show, but I'm not a fan of the concept of making the older children take care of the younger siblings so mom can do x,y,z. And that would have to happen because it simply isn't humanly possible to do it all. I have one child, work full time, manage a household with 4 dogs, pay bills and make Dr. appointments and I don't sit down until 11:30 pm and have "just" enough time to read a few pages in a book before I fall asleep and get up and do it all over again. I'm a VERY organized person, but it still takes every single minute that I breathe, so I think she either has tons of help (in the order of siblings taking care of younger siblings) or she must be some sort of freakin' witch or is magic. I admire her faith, but being faithful can't do that much laundry, fold it and put it away.
And honestly, I'd have to tell JimBob to go take a chill pill. Afterall, it's not his body or his organs or his life that essentially gets rearranged to have a child. He goes to work everyday!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Nov 08 2011 10:49:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  11:07:18 AM  Show Profile
I had a 10 pound baby and an 11 pound baby. That was enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have wonderful grandchildren!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  12:19:10 PM  Show Profile
Um I have never never seen the family "make" the other kids care for the younger ones. However, that's usually what families do. I am not trying to argue or anything. But, I myself am from a large family, 17 siblings, and yes we older ones help out, but isn't that what all families do? Help each other? My siblings and I like helping with the younger ones. It was always "fun" to us. I don't see Michelle out doing a bunch of x,y, z though. she stays home with the children and cares for them. Other mom's often pay for other people to raise their children while they go to work? She stays home and cares for them herself, she can't be too far from the youngest one as she always breastfeeds the children as well.

Up till we had birth control in this country this was very normal though. Most of my family had many children till then.

I am not saying that children in a family should have too many chores or what not, but I do see that the less and less chores/responsibility that children are given as time goes on the less and less appreciative and responsible they are. My grandma grew up in a time, that they had to help their parents with a farm during the depression, so they only made a penny a day picking cotton (very hard work), plus taking care of the other parts of the farm and animals, and their younger siblings. Yet, I have NEVER heard my grandma or her siblings every speak a unkind word about their parents, only that they felt sorry for them having to work so hard, and how grateful they were to their parents for all they did for them. Today with kids, who have hardly any chores or responsibilities in a family I see less and less respect, love, or gratefulness to their parents. But, that's just what I see.

I admire the Duggar's as like was said, even before the show they were doing it all on their own money wise, they didn't have as much as they do now. I do see how they have invested some of the money from the show nicely (looks to me they get to go on more vacations, exposing the children to more places that they probably couldn't of afforded with out the show) but I would much rather see them do that with the money then some actors blowing their money from their shows on drugs, alcohol, and prostitutes and what not!

i am looking forward to tonights episode.

I think like was said after 6 it all seems the same! lol haha I've had 5 and I do do it all on my own most the time with my husband's help. And it's really not that hard, I think it has a lot to do with though that's what I grew up with. I for sure want more too! lol haha My husband is worried though about it money wise, so is looking for a new job so that we can do that. When we first got married he really only wanted 2 children, then when he got to be around my family more and more he changed his mind. He was a only child and had no idea how much fun having a lot of siblings could be. And now wants to give that to our children as well. I will say one thing, I have no better friends then my sisters. They literally are my "best" friends. We have friends that aren't our siblings, but time and again my siblings and I always come back together as being each others best friends. We're always there for each other when many other "friends" run the other way. I am very grateful and blessed with my siblings. I often actually feel sorry for my parents. My mom's siblings are alcoholics and have died, and she is very lonely. My dad was a only child, thankfully he has ONE awesome friend he has had since kindergarten. But, I really feel sorry for my mom, cause I see her loneliness sometimes for siblings, and I am so blessed by having great ones. Truly I am so happy I have them. I will say though I was 8 years old before I got my first one, and I remember so hoping to have siblings. lol haha It was always my wish, I had no idea I would some day have 17 though! lol hahaha I didn't have my first sister till I was 12. I really didn't think we would be the friends we are today I thought we would be too much difference in age, but really she is my best friend in the world. And any one who meets us, or is around us any length of time, always comments on our friendship as well, that they can see what great friends we are. Any way, I'm rambling now. Just wanted to add that some people actually like having a lot of siblings. And we're some of them. lol I don't think I could ever have a better friend then my sisters, I've tried! lol haha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  12:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Heather,
I have to say I agree with you. It does my heart good to see a family work together to have a happy life. They are not asking for help from anyone so who are we to judge. We never know how far faith will take us until we exercise it.
I say God bless every one of them.
hugs,
Denise

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  1:02:02 PM  Show Profile
Heather, it seems to me (and most of the American public based on what I've read online today) that it would be impossible to have a 20 children and give them all individual attention--someone is bound to get lost in the shuffle--that to me seems unfair--and I know many children from families with more than 10 children that come from rather disfunctional homes and they have no relationship with their actual birth parents BECAUSE it was their siblings that raised them. A co-worker from a large blended Pentecostal family told me that she called her 3rd oldest sister "momma" for a very long time because that's who cared for her consistently. Their parents continued to have children because "God gave them this gift", and yet, God didn't give her mother the gift of common sense to educate them, bathe them or feed them, and many were removed from the home by social services because the father was disabled and she couldn't work because she had so many children....to this day, she has no relationship with her mother and wants none, since she's married and has a small family of her own. SHE cares for her own children and she makes sure that she can take care of all their needs.

I'm glad that your parents raised a happy family and it's wonderful that your sisters are so close. I am an only child, and have never been lonely--my father was abandoned as a toddler and even though he was eventually reunited with his mother, he never let her get close again. He always said, "you make your own family, they don't have to be blood." and I completely subscribe to that. Most of my extended cousins and I haven't one single thread in common, other than we have shared blood. I've always been quite happy without making that effort.

Again, I don't watch their show or any other reality show but I DO pay someone to watch my child while I head off to work full time--it makes little sense financially to stay at home and be below the poverty line--which, with all their real estate investments and now, tv help, the Duggars never seemed to have that issue to begin with. To imply that I (and mothers just like me) am less dedicated to the whole raising of my child because someone else watches her in the daytime while I sit at my desk, missing her, is ridiculous.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Nov 08 2011 1:15:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  1:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I think at one time, they were sincere, but I think now it's attention-getting. The last time I watched, I turned it off, they were in New York on a vacation and they were handing out flyers about them on the street. They seemed different. They have a show and have notoriety whenever they have a new kid. I think it's sad for the kids to have all birthdays on one day. No individualism, and someone is bound to be left out. It's their business and up to them, but I just think it's a little sad to me.

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775
http://honeybrookefarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  1:36:13 PM  Show Profile
Frankly, I find it disturbing. I had two children late in life with my last child born when I was 39. And it was a completely different pregnancy than my first one at 21...I have a total of five kids. I firmly believe there is a "window" of time for optimum healthy pregnancy's. Why on earth would you want to risk your health and that of your unborn child to have an "EVEN" number of progeny? I thought that remark said a lot about the husband. Women are not puppies and women do not have litters of children. I personally couldn't conceive (sorry no pun intended) of having a family that size and still feel that I was able to give my children my best attention. It just isn't feasible no matter how much help you get from your previous children.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  1:49:52 PM  Show Profile
Everyone is different and I personally think it is their own business. They would still be having this many even if we had never heard of the Duggars. I am sure main stream media would not have left them alone though and that is why they are in the limelight now. If one's belief's are rooted well nothing is going to change them no matter who gives their opinion about what they should or shouldn't do. We are a diverse people and none of us are going to agree totally with everyone else. Just adding another of my 2 cents. :)

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  2:34:42 PM  Show Profile
I never said that any one loved their children less. I'm jsut saying I don't know how having older siblings help is any different then many mom's who hire others.

I also don't believe that blood is all that makes a family. Only one of my sisters out of (10) are blood. My other sisters are legally adopted from Haiti. And we still love them very much. At the same time.....I must say there is a bond with my blood sister that is different, not better, or worse, etc, but different, and I have to attribute that to blood bonds. I can't deny it. I used to think before she was born that it was all the same, but really it's not. However, we still have strong love with my adopted sisters. My oldest adopted brother is my husbands BFF. lol Oddly enough his name is Haitian, when translated to English is also the same as my husband's name! Serendipity we say! I have to say I'm not sure if my husband would have a blood brother as close though as him.

And I am sorry to hear about the families you know of that did such a thing. I think all of us can name people like that with small or large families both. It's not about the number of children but the parents, and the dedication, love, and responsibility they take for such.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  2:42:24 PM  Show Profile
oh and BTW for individual time, there's a lot in my family. My dad does bike rides with the kids often tries to go to most their sporting events, When he comes home he plays with the kids, etc. I think not having TV helps this. We have TV cause my husband likes it but I think I finally talked him into getting rid of it. But, the duggars, and my parents don't have TV. I think that frees up a lot of time for family.

One day when we were visiting my parents my dad came home from work, and one of my little brothers was laying on the couch, and my dad jumped on him and started playing with him and wrestling with him. My husband was a only child......he said his father never played with him like that and still almost cries remembering how my dad played with my little brother that day (that was the first time he seen a dad play like that, my dad does all the time, but that stands out in my dh's mind cause it was the first time he seen something like that). He was a only child and his parents dropped him off at his grandparents house and didn't come back for 15 years. He didn't know real fathers played with their kids like that. My dad takes each of the kids on a camping trip at least once a year too. My parents have jobs though where they don't have to be away from home long periods of time. I think that's what helps the duggars as well.

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  3:01:33 PM  Show Profile
I think it is wonderful news! I love the Duggar's and wish I had a family like they have.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  4:57:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm happy for the Duggar family. They love and support each other. They seem like a genuinely nice family. I am also glad that they are a couple who say that children are a welcome blessing, because they are.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  06:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
The only thing I think should be considered in the mother's health and that of the new baby's.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  07:19:21 AM  Show Profile
I am sure MHO will not be appreciated, but I think it is disgusting that she is pregnant again. I believe their last daughter had health issues. Why take a chance and have another baby? She is a high risk pregnancy at 45 years old. Someone said they do not ask anything from anyone, perhaps not, but they make tons of money from their television show and television appearances. And these appearances are always timed for when someone in the Duggers is either pregnant, getting married, or they are circulating rumors they are going to get pregnant again. In this day and age where our world's population is exploding, and resources are becoming scare, and there are starving people in this country, it is completely unethical to be seeking a Guiness Book of World Records record. I will hop off my soap box now.

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  08:04:07 AM  Show Profile
Natural resources? I've never seen it, but unless half the kids are feeding livestock, and the other half are riding bikes hooked to turbines, it's fairly selfish.

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  08:23:40 AM  Show Profile
While I love kids to pieces, I find it disgusting and selfish. I get that its part of their religious beliefs, but please, people, we have 7 zillion people already on the earth, that's a lot of mouths to feed, consider what kind of future you are giving your children before you have just one more. Get off your fame binge and think about your kids!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  09:34:54 AM  Show Profile
I frankly just worry about the mom's health. I hope she does fine and will pray she does. I do believe it is their business but that has to be very hard on her body and 20 kids without a mom would be just terrifying. so I pray her health stays good for her sake and the sake of the children...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  11:44:56 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget Margaret. She has 2 books out too.

Annika-They were talking about that last week on Yahoo. 7 billion children (I mean people...7 billion people in this world now) and what is happening to this planet and what will be coming soon. Lots of people all over the world is fighting poverty and resource.

Edited by - njaw09 on Nov 09 2011 12:45:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  12:01:36 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you Margaret. We do have too many people on this earth and our resources are dwindling. Sad to say, I'm against having all those children. I had enough to do raising my two sons by myself, working full time, and then doing some of the housework. They helped, but I think they are doing more now than they did then.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  1:13:21 PM  Show Profile
If the whole family was self-sufficient I won't have doubts.

If they raise their own animals (meat, milk and such) and have their own vegetables/fruits for food I will give them all the credit of having a terrific huge family...or create their own textile, clothing and such.

Yes, I give them credit for shopping thrift for clothing and toys.

But I would truly like to know as "duggar" family how much environment footprints they putting out as a whole? How much gasoline they use, diapers, waste, food they eat, do they recycles (did anyone see their pantry??) and many many more questions I will like to ask.

I am not here to stir any trouble. I am just thinking.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Duggar's BIG announcement Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page