Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  4:48:44 PM  Show Profile
I was so inspired by the question about the Poppies, I wanted to see what everyone was doing for Veteran's day!

I have done a little cleaning (not NEARLY as much as I should!) and shopping, and thinking. I am SURROUNDED by military and ex military. A couple of years ago, I was a USO girl, but I have since "retired". The closest post is about 2 hours away, and it's difficult for me to go up to Ft Hood.

My boyfriend was in the Marine Corps before we met, so I am fixing him a special dinner (he loves green bean casserole, so that's the high light, along with scratch made cornbread and ham) and got a card for him with a letter written inside. We had lunch today before we ran errands, so it's all about him, today!

What's everyone else up to to?

Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  5:39:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Miranda. Gosh you are so close by me. I'm right down the road from you. We should get to know each other better. I can honestly say I thought about veterans but didn't do anything special. Not that I don't appreciate their service. My daddy was in the Airforce. I am working this weekend with a veteran and thought it might be more appropriate to show him that respect when I see him.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  5:49:56 PM  Show Profile
I think it's awesome! Whether we quietly reflect, or celebrate with people we love, I'm happy to see so many people remembering this year.

Where about are ya!? I'm just east of Pflugerville, right on the edge of town, surrounded by cows and coyotes!

Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  6:32:38 PM  Show Profile
We went to a flag raising ceremony with the American Legion post DH is in :) It was neat. A few pics are on the blog :)

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  03:45:50 AM  Show Profile
A few of us went out to eat at Golden Coralle.

I was hoping it would be more crowded since they honor the Vets with free meals. I bet this weekend wiol be more crowded.

Was pleased to see donation buckets there, and relieved I at least had a stray dollar. It's hard sometimes when we have become an all plactic society
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  10:36:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad to hear people are still seeking out the vets to donate to.

It is interesting to think about the poppies. I'm 31 and didn't completely understand the poppies till I was older, but it was still something that, if I saw older people handing them out, they were veterans, and I would give what was in my pockets.

I read something earlier about how the generation gap is increasing in the vets that do that sort of thing. It is sad, especially for anyone who has family or friends who rely on the VA & other organizations for help. I'm glad to hear the tradition is still going on somewhere, though!

Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Veteran's Day thoughts! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page