True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  1:27:35 PM  Show Profile
Annie,
I completely agree with you! If they lived on a big ole farm, raised their own food and each of the kids was working on that family farm it would be one thing. But what would happen if the tv appearances, the book deals and Dad's job dried up? It would be a family of how many on the dole. I just shake my head...

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  1:45:03 PM  Show Profile
I hadn't given much thought to their carbon footprint, but that's an interesting point. I mainly think, if children are so wonderful and they are gifts from God, as the Duggars clearly believe, why not give a worthy child, sitting in a children's home, the chance to be in a loving family? Heather mentioned that she had adopted siblings, and if your heart and home is big enough to do it, why not? The gift isn't just in the child you make biologically. I understand having a child born to your own bodies (we chose that route, but had I not been able to, adoption was the next option), but it would seem that after 5 or 6, you might want to think of adoption, if you wanted a large family. There are SO many beautiful children out there, just waiting to find a home, and doing adoptions day after day in my line of work, it's so rewarding.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  4:10:22 PM  Show Profile
If I have a choice to pick a family I want to live its angelina jolie. Why because she adopted different nationality. She is truly a remarkable woman. She also use her earnings to give to charities!

Edited by - njaw09 on Nov 09 2011 4:17:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  5:32:01 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I remember on an episode Jim Bob talking about how their frugality helped their carbon footprint. Though their gas, water, and electricity may be higher than a small family, they save some of that by buying used things. They keep those older things out of the landfill, and manufacturers don't have to put forth effort to make new clothes for 19 children. It all depends on how you look at it.
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  5:48:02 PM  Show Profile
What if the twenty Duggar kids all decide to have big families, too? And their children? Etc., etc. Kind of mind blowing!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  5:50:09 PM  Show Profile
Google...fun facts of the duggars.

Estimated number of Duggar diapers to date is 90,000.

The Duggars do approximately 200 loads of laundry each month.

I am not sure what year they updated the information but 90,000 diapers at the landfill is a lot.
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  5:57:38 PM  Show Profile
When my grandmother had 15 kids they never use diapers. It didn't even exist from where we came from. Even my mom told me when I was a baby I never use a disposable diapers.
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  6:07:19 PM  Show Profile
If you want to see where I get my information here is the link:

Duggar Fun Facts : The Duggars : Discovery Health

http://health.discovery.com/tv/duggars/duggar-fun-facts.html
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  6:29:38 PM  Show Profile
They also do give a lot to charities, local and abroad. They cook for the fire dept, and police dept regularly as well to give back to their community.

As for him losing his job, they have NO debt, no house payment, car payment etc, they only spend what they can buy in cash. So if he were to lose ALL three of his businesses at once, plus the TV show, book sales etc all at once (highly unlikely, since the three of his businesses are pretty recession proof-1) used car lots, 2) has the sole tow truck service contract with the local police department, 3) owns property he rents to cell phone tower people, and 4 he also dabbles in politics, that's how the show began in the first place, his running for a office, and the local media picking up on his family story). All that being said even if he did lose all his jobs/businesses etc, they have squirreled back quite a bit of their money, since way before their tv show, and he's nor she is lazy both are hard working people who teach hard work, so I think he would get out there and pound pavement looking for a new job meanwhile they could live on their savings. As their only expense would be food. And even if then they did have to get help, with all the money/time they have been giving through the years to all the charities they are involved with, I think it would be fair turn around. But, highly unlikely. As he continues to try to make good business choices, and keep the family financially stable.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  10:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Isn't there a quote in the old testament about keeping a "FULL" quiver? Even at the expense of a mother's health and her unborn child? I'm sorry, I just would not risk it.

As for Mr. Jim Bob or Billy Bob whatever his name is...I think he should get himself a hobby, go fishing or collect stamps and Michelle should take a "women's assertiveness" class.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  03:49:51 AM  Show Profile
I read somewheres that you CAN lose 2-3 IQ points with every vaginal birth, due to lack of oxygen to the brain.
There is only 50 IQ points between me and a functioning, developmentally disabled person.

Just saying.

She had rings on her fingers and bells on her shoes.
And I knew without asking she was into the blues.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  05:55:02 AM  Show Profile
Not every one loses oxygen during birth. She does bradly method which encourages normal breathing. However, the old lamaz that is used a lot (not bradly method!) encourages loss of oxygen due to hyperventilation, usually resulting in the baby hyperventilating as well and having to have c-sections and other interventions.

In the hospital they put you on a lot of monitors during child birth one is for oxygen, so far I've never had any problems with mine going too low. But, I also don't do the lamaz breathing, just normal calm breathing.

Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  05:58:17 AM  Show Profile
As a mother of six children, now grown, I look back and wish I had more time to spend with them, play time.

Like going to the park, taking hikes, reading together, etc.

Although we did those things, now, as I look back, I wish there had been more time.

More time to be with them one on one, time to celebrate each child, special time with each child.

I did my best. There was always so much work to do. With laundry, cooking, cleaning, work, work, work.

I taught the kids how to work with me, and as they got older, they had more responsibilities.

The world through the eyes of a child is very different from ours. I wish I spent more time in their world with them.

I wonder if the Duggar mom knows what she wants. Or does she only carry out the wishes of her husband and doing, without thinking, what is expected of her?

I wonder if she really, really knows who she is anymore....under all the layers.

Just wondering.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  11:39:56 AM  Show Profile
I think some people speculate a lot about Michelle, and spread a lot of rumors that Jim Bob calls all the shots. She has said on many one on one interviews that it is her personal choice to have the children and how much she wants/loves them. She had a miscarriage early in life due to birth control. After that she searched the Bible and her own understanding of her search she decided on her own she no longer wanted to use birth control. In all the interviews to me she seems very intelligent and like she very much has a mind of her own. She seems to think her answers out very well, and they seem to be well put together in my opinion. Jim bob has always said also when asked if he wants another child that that is all up to Michelle and he would never force her to have more. He is asked often on TV, and that is always his answer that he never makes those choices it's up to her, if she wants another one or not.

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  12:46:30 PM  Show Profile
I think some people are delusional-It's a TV series for goodness sake with edits and re-takes, etc. No one knows what really happens once the cameras are off. It is very sad that these delusional people feed into these so called "reality" programs only enabling the show and the "cast" to continue with their sick idea of what reality really is. What is the reality of having two parents who are responsible for 20-TWENTY children?? That you cannot give 20-TWENTY children what they really need while growing up and I am not talking about the physical needs of children with shoes, and books, and a home and food. I am talking about love, attention and time. It is an impossible task because there aren't enough hours in the day. I think the parents are warped and the children will suffer for their parents so called religious beliefs. I feel great sympathy for those children...and disgust at their parents inability to recognize when enough is enough.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  1:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We all have a wide range of opinions which is how life is. I for one am very glad that no one has ever thought my life was interesting enough to film it because I wouldn't like the public scrutiny. Even at work I have been criticised for only having one child which I guess is the opposite spectrum of the choice by the Duggars. :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  5:57:16 PM  Show Profile
I have been reading all the comments here and I was not going to comment myself. But now that I have been thinking about it, there are so many more good things about them than bad. And they are not the only family with that many children in this country. Some of my favorite blogs are about very large families. I sure wish there were more families like them that raise their children to be moral members of society. And to wait til marriage to have sex. And even to court one another so they know for sure they are meant to be together before they jump in bed with someone and really mess their lives up. I sure wish I had known of them when my kids were growing up. I might have done things differently. I am so glad there are families like them still in this crazy world. They truely love and respect each other. The older kids choose to still be at home. How many kids do y'all know that would do that? Not many. And how many kids that are raised in a Christian home do you know that are still Christians after they leave home? Not many. I think we are not giving this particular family credit where it is due. They are not mindlessly having children for the government to raise like so many people do. They are not dependant on the government for anything. Both parents are very intellegent people and very responsible. They have taught their children to not be selfish and to serve others. I am so glad there are families like them all over. It makes me feel better for my granddaughters to know that they are raising their sons to treat women with respect and dignity. And to wait for marriage. I for one am happy to know that they are not out in the world doing all the worng things that are so important to so many young people these days. They have a strong foundation to fall back on and to keep them all accountable.

There are some things I don't agree with about them. Like the way they eat. And they should have a big huge garden and raise their own meat and all. But maybe that's just not for them. Some people just don't like to do that. But that's no reason to judge them.

I do hope and pray that this new pregnacy goes well for Michelle and the baby. But how lucky that little baby will be to have 19 brothers and sisters. I cannot even imagine. That child will never have to lay in a bed all alone crying, begging for someone to come pick it up or talk to it or feed it like so many children do.

I may sound a bit naive and old fashioned and I guess I really am, but I would have loved to have alot more children. And yes, I have heard all the children say they want large families. What about that? Who would have thought?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  6:47:04 PM  Show Profile
Well put Kris
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  7:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Which ever side we stand on the feelings run strong dont they? As an Arkansan I just want to add my 2 cents. I dont have cable or satelite so never have seen the show. Some comments on here were about where they live. They have poultry houses. I dont know if its chicken or turkey. My neighbor went to high school with her and never dreamed her life would be this way. Sure folks talk. Did you hear #20? How can you give attention with that many? and the comments go on, but they dont seem to be angry comments. It wouldnt be my way but it is her business. No I dont think its an ideal situation for their children but have I never lived in their home to know. A church members granddaughter went into labor last week and was sent home from the hospital saying not yet. Seems the granddaughter went to a church thats member had a midwife and 2 that came to help her deliver were duggar girls. Mom and baby were fine. One winter their son who I guess owns a hummer pulled folks out of snowstorms free. We can all find good or bad to say about anyone. Yes it is impossible for one woman to give 20 children "raising" all on her own. Those who work full time jobs outside the home arent running from their responsibility. I have a strong pentecostal faith and had no problem using birth control! We each must decide what we feel is right and live by our convictions yet love those whose convictions are different. Whew! Happy veterans day sisters!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  2:32:53 PM  Show Profile
First of all I would just like to say that Kris you put that very well.

I agree that no one has the right to decide for another when enough is enough. I surely would not want someone telling me I had to stop having children after my, say, second one was born because it was felt by someone else that two is enough. I say that because if we had stopped at 2 we would have not had our son. I agree with the following quote from the above post. Because I don't see how it is right for someone else to have a say in my personal life. Having a baby is very personal whether the 1st, 5th or 20th.

One of my children chose to go the route of courtship. She was 26 when she married her husband and she did not kiss him nor anyone else before her wedding day. That was her choosing between her and God and her future husband. That was a conviction that was her own.

quote:
Originally posted by smiley

Wow! We each must decide what we feel is right and live by our convictions yet love those whose convictions are different.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Duggar's BIG announcement Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page