Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  1:17:05 PM  Show Profile
Lorraine ...just say the story of stuff...well worth the 20 minutes.

Beverly

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  2:17:25 PM  Show Profile
Beverly - glad you liked it. I thought it was well done and informative. I never thought to look to see where books were printed - so I looked through the ones that were close by - and so far, they're all printed in the US. So that's good - but its one more thing to check out.

I also had a lot of fun looking at the toys made in America website. I am now almost done shopping for my granddaughters! I and feel good about it too.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  3:30:58 PM  Show Profile
Beverly-
If you son is at India and he is not going back why not buy some things. If I was to go oversea once in a lifetime and I am sure I won't be going back I will definitely going to purchased some things.
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  04:25:33 AM  Show Profile
Probably because I live there part of the year......this is one year I have decided to stay back.

Also, things in India used to be dirt cheap-----not so anymore.....might get them a little bit cheaper...but that's about it.

The Christmas decorations I had in mind though-----I say I could get half off.

Beverly

Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  05:18:08 AM  Show Profile
Dole Peaches in the jar Product of China. I prefer Michigan Peaches.
This was an interesting thing I learned if you eat frozen fish check to see that it is caught and packaged in the US because a lot of it is caught here then flash frozen shipped to China processed frozen and sent back to us. Gross is the first word that comes to my mind.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  2:20:37 PM  Show Profile
why all those steps to frozen fish??

I am very happy to say I did good at Walmarts buying American made wrapping paper......I was afraid....really.

Beverly

Go to Top of Page

SuzanneH
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Suzanne
St Francisville Louisiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  7:41:08 PM  Show Profile
I agree about the fish. I was at Wal-Mart buying Shrimp and looked through package after package looking for shrimp NOT from China. I finally found some stuck way out of the way. They really did not want them to be found. I am from Louisiana and I usually buy seafood fresh from a friend's family shop. It was a BIG shock to see the invasion of the foreign market. As far as buying American. My family trys to buy local as much as possible and I like to support my fellow Etsy artisans.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/countrylifenaturals

http://countrynatural.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  3:31:20 PM  Show Profile
I was in Wal-Mart and saw some dog biscuits - all natural and made in US. My dogs love them.

The fish thing is definitely gross - and how can that be cost-effective??? Go figure.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  10:56:09 AM  Show Profile
I read a quote somewhere that said something to the effect of if you really want to occupy Wall Street, buy local. There is actually a national "shop local" page on facebook, and yes, it is the Saturday after Thanksgiving. You can even get your favorite local businesses posted there (supposedly, anyway, I couldn't get it to work - so I just left their names in the comments). Our little town has a nationally recognized quilt shop, the best coffee house I've ever been to, a great (and reasonably priced) diner, the most wonderful dog groomer, and even a cat groomer - all on our little Main Street. We are so blessed to be able to walk to these wonderful places!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 kiddos, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Avoid soil depravation and get your dirt on! Start a garden in your own backyard...

Check out my blog: http://suburbanprairiehomemaker.blogspot.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker) and Twitter (@sphomemaker)

Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  12:11:40 PM  Show Profile
I've seen several commercials about shopping local on Nov 26, they were from American Express. I like the idea and I also think it will help fund jobs for the unemployed.

www.MurrayDesigns.etsy.com

Farmgirl Sister #710

"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  8:21:26 PM  Show Profile
Saturday is a National shop local day and has been now for a few years. Our local paper puts out a "booklet" every year (came out last week) which is nothing more than all the local business's ads so you know where to go for what to shop local. It's a great promotional item, and we keep it all year. (Our papers are once a week) They have been doing it for about 10 years now.

We try to buy most things locally because we hate driving 100 miles each way to get to a town with box stores and malls. Always have, maybe it's a small town thing, you know your business owners(?). BUT, when your family wants electronics it is very hard to even buy Made in America because Kindle's/X-Box/ etc... aren't made here. At least we can order them on line and save the gas.

And if you haven't changed over to a fake tree or fake wreath yet, please don't. Our neck of the woods keeps people in business from November 1 - Christmas Day making real wreaths. There is the "tipper" who goes in the woods and gets the greens, the "wreath maker" who puts them on the wire, the shop owner who packs them up and ships them to either customers, catalogs, or stores. Just one business in my town makes all of the wreaths for L.L. Beans, Plow and Hearth, QVC, and maybe a few more, I can't remember.

Anaother business just down the road has the "Wreaths Across America" http://wreathsacrossamerica.org where they hire all those involved in making wreaths to make wreaths that are then trucked to Arlington National Cemetary and put on the grave sites. they are trying to get them to all National Cemetarys but need lots of "buyers". You could always buy one and let someone know you did so in their name.

And by doing this "extraction" we aren't "exploiting natural resources & trashing the planet", we are actually keeping the forests healthy and fire free (sorry Lorraine, my two cents is opposite of yours but we can agree to disagree).

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey

Edited by - Oggie on Nov 20 2011 8:30:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  06:06:40 AM  Show Profile
Ginny - of course we can agree to disagree but I think we're on the same wavelength. If you're referring to something said in the Story of Stuff, I believe she's talking about clear cutting forests in third world countries and creating less than desirable habitats for indigeneous people and the ecosystems.

I do have an artificial tree (sorry) but I buy a fresh wreath for my front door and over my fireplace from the Boy Scouts every year. And I send 3 people evergreen centerpieces from LL Bean - its become a tradition and they love it.

So I think that we only disagree about whether we disagree... Does that make sense??? :o) And that's ok too....

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  09:41:28 AM  Show Profile
I know I'll be shopping local on Saturday. I shop there often any way, but I will be at a local fabric store, and hoping the owner can help me make a new collar on a old pattern. lol haha And picking out fleece for a new coat. Awe her stuff is top shelf, not cheap crud in the big box fabric stores.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  10:00:02 AM  Show Profile
Please go to this link and read it. After reading this and seeing these poor children, I don't know how anyone could ever buy made in China stuff.

http://www.mitzismiscellany.com/2011/11/i-practice-what-i-preach.html

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  11:38:22 AM  Show Profile
thanks so much Kristen.....saved the article---starting reading...flabbergasted at the clothespins near the eyes....will read EVERYTHING later.

Gal friends, continue to read all your labels---then ask do I really want this??????I really have very little to spend.....but I will make my own whenever possible.

Beverly

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  4:31:44 PM  Show Profile
Kris - that was a tough article to read, but an eye-opener. Just when you think you've seen it all... Puts things in a whole new perspective, doesn't it... Thanks for sharing.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  07:44:01 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls...just wanted to share another really cool "made in America" site that I found when reading November's Country Living. http://www.stormykromer.com/
Stormy Kromer was a railroad man who, in 1903, asked his wife to fashion a cap that wouldn't blow off his head while riding in the train car. She did, and their business was born--the site has lots of cool things, especially for the men in your life!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  08:21:01 AM  Show Profile
I've always taken great pride that whatever Mandolin Babe's (my music store) sells is made in America. Music books are published here,so are the strings,straps,picks,rosin,you name it. I agree with buying American!

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

http://www.fiddlebelle.com
http://www.fleabagatelle.com
http://www.celticcowgirl.me

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,dulcimer playin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  8:05:44 PM  Show Profile
I just discovered this thread. I've been trying to buy American, and local, if possible. Thanks for the tips and information!
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  10:22:55 AM  Show Profile
I always try to buy American. We buy a 1/2 hog and 1/4 beef from local farmers. I did my winter grocery shopping at the Amish store. Living here in Indiana hard to buy local fruits and veggies in the winter months but the rest of the year is great for local shopping.
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  07:14:14 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - Thanks for turning me onto Stormy Kormer! I LOVE that gray and pink hat so I put it on my wish list to hubby!

Lorraine - I'm sure you are right about the under devloped nations and clear cutting & I do agree that they shouldn't be doing it, but the movie is a political thing with me. I think that movie is extremely biased and since it's being shown in schools it is teaching our kids things that shouldn't be taught to them, that's all.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  12:52:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sissarge

Just saw this on facebook--remember that the boxes and wrapping paper is made in China. And people at wal-mart was just packing it in their baskets. Their is some made is USA but you have to look. Some gift tags I looked at were also made in China. So this year I am making cloths bags, and my on paper tags. Happy Fall Holidays to all farmgirls. Linda Farmgirl #946

Linda, I just have to say here that a lot of the big chain fabric stores get all the fabric from China too. You have to look at the end of the bolt to see where it comes from.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com [ or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  2:11:55 PM  Show Profile
You're so welcome, Ginny! I love that hat, too!!! I'm going to get one for my husband. Such a great look, and it really suits our climate--and yours up there in Maine!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  3:43:19 PM  Show Profile
Ginny - I agree she is bias and has a political agenda. I do not agree with all of her political statements - but I still think the film has a lot of valid points. So many people are completely unaware what it takes to manufacture products. I think its important for people to realize there are repercussions to having a throw-away mentality.

If the film is shown in schools, I would hope the teacher would make time to discuss it and talk about different solutions - I could think of several assignments that could spring from this subject. I've been an environmental scientist for over 30 years - mostly in environmental compliance and remediation - and I can tell you nothing is ever simple or black and white when it comes to manufacturing, pollution, and waste issues. There certainly are no quick fixes...

Maybe we do disagree on some things - but that's ok too. Its all food for thought. I can disagree without being disagreeable.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  10:29:14 AM  Show Profile
Best US Made coveralls, work pants etc: Pointer Brand. US Made since way way back. worth the price.

My random wacky off-grid blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
Blessings on you from the bottom of my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Buy American Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page