Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  1:48:43 PM  Show Profile
Buying more American is one of my top priorities this year! It takes some research but so worthwhile! I am also learning more and exploring the Etsy stores or home online stores for merchandise too. In my opinion, we need to support our entrepreneurs who are working everyday to create goods for home and clothing. So, more that just at Christmas, I am working to learn more about where the goods are and then support those small businesses. It makes sense to have fewer quality items that were made here in the USA than a whole house or closet full of stuff from overseas. I know I have a lot more homework to do but it is so worth the time I spend. Let's all support America's Yound Entrepreneurs and spread the word to our friends and family to do the same.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TorahCowgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Faleena
Kiowa Colorado
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  7:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I am a new member and was reading through some of the articles and was very excited to see that this was an issue for people.! A song that sums up this topic a lot is Toby Keith's new song "Made in America". My mom and I try to grow and buy as local as possible! Here is the YouTube link for Toby's song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaAF_3WMJGM
Long live Cowgirls
Faleena

Don't forget who you are and life is a climb but it is always worth the view.

Remember who you are and that life is a climb but it is always worth the view!
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  11:23:55 AM  Show Profile
The past year my husband and I were looking for USA made farmtables. I did not find any made here, so I sketched out a table for my diningroom and gave it to my husband (who by the way is not a carpenter lol) and he actually made me this incredible farm table. I recently painted and stained the table. Now if I can only figure out how to take a pic of it to post lol ..that will be my next project.

Happy Trails
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  3:21:42 PM  Show Profile
I have finally realized that I need to start buying American products. This is a good thread. We are looking to buy a car at the end of this year, and it will be made in America!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  4:59:57 PM  Show Profile
Saw this on the news. It proves that buying American/Locally can really make a difference! The amount of love shown is just amazing.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/cash-mob-creates-movie-fairy-tale-family-ohio/story?id=15449809

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

susieat50
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Susan
Nevada Missouri
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  8:47:58 PM  Show Profile
I used to work at a saddle shop and we made a lot of expensive saddles and acc. My boss was all the time threatening us to increase production. That all it would take would be a phone call to take his business to Mexico. He was all the time telling us how much cheaper he could hire help there. Some boss! And here he was in the business to supply our historic 'American' cowboys with saddles. Needless to say he is not in business anymore. I too try to buy 'Made in the USA'.

http://etsy.com/shop/GrammyandGrampys
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  04:14:55 AM  Show Profile
Just listened to Made in America----thanks for sharing Faleena...it was very moving.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  06:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link Stephanie, that was so great to see. I love those kinds of stories. It really makes you try even harder to help out your community I think.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

CCChristen
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Cynthia
Lockwood CA
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  10:39:13 AM  Show Profile
God Bless the USA! And we make it a prictice.

Cynthia

Happy to be an American
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  05:45:30 AM  Show Profile
my next venture is to check out where the books are printed....a lot are printed in China......yikes.

Did anyone see Shark Tank....where the man wanted to start his business in USA and keep it here...no one took him on......sad. But it was nice to see that he didn't bow down to them and have the parts made overseas.

Beverly Gill

Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  2:11:42 PM  Show Profile
I did see that Shark Tank and the shark guys just made me angry. Here was a guy who just wanted to help the people in his community get jobs and the shark guys all said he should have it made oversees and that he was too rigid. I was so glad to see his determination and pride-made me want to go and buy what he was selling.
I just found this thread and read all 6 pages. WOW!! So much good information, and although I try to buy American and local there is so much I haven't thought of. I will be checking EVERYTHING from now on. Thanks for all the great ideas. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  5:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Anyone else watching the superbowl? I am really proud of all the made in America commercials. While I am not one that likes a lot of marketing/advertising- sometimes the companies need to be a bit more outspoken about the items that are made here in the US.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  10:16:59 AM  Show Profile
I did watch the Superbowl. I liked seeing the commercials, especially the ones with the American made products.
I usually don't pay attention to the other commercials, unless they were about animals.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  09:17:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone: I just came back from Michaels Craft Store looking for an embroidery hoop so I can decorate my badge. To my surprise not one hoop is made here in the US. So I didn't purchase any :(

Happy Trails
Farmgirl 3842
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  09:54:09 AM  Show Profile
Joan, I would be sure to contact Michaels Corporate (and Hobby Lobby, since they have the same problem) and let them know that. I think if more of us started to pass on these items and locate them elsewhere, the more likely they are to eventually provide alternatives, even if they're a little more expensive.

Farmgirl Sister #3754
www.facebook.com/bellcountybelles
http://bellcountybelle.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/bluemonarch/
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  09:56:17 AM  Show Profile
I didn't see this posted on this thread, but I may have missed it in 6 pages! Sorry if it's a repost. Take a look at this website:

http://www.handmadeinamerica.org/

I'm a little sad that MJ's organic cotton sheets aren't made in America. :-(

Farmgirl Sister #3754
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  10:15:52 AM  Show Profile
Sharon - that's a great website. We need more like it. Also, I know what you mean about companies - including MJ's - going overseas for labor. I'm sure this is naive, but there are so many people out of work that it should be a lot easier to find companies that can do the sewing and/or assembly of products here. I'm willing to pay more if it were made here.

Joan - Congratulations for standing up for your principles... Check out this website: http://www.faersc.com/. They sell embroidery hoops and quilting frames made in the USA. There are others too - Google "embroidery hoops made in USA".

I agree with writing letters to companies about this, but on another thread with a similar topic, someone said the wrote Walmart to ask where their dried beans were from - and the response was telling them they had to fill out a form or something and mail it back in. Long story short, they didn't get the info and got the run around because they didn't want to answer the question. It can be very frustrating, but I think we must have patience - its going to take awhile to turn things around.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  12:32:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks my Sisters for the websites. I will check them out :)

Happy Trails
Farmgirl 3842
Go to Top of Page

LisaH
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Lisa
Granger IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  06:47:16 AM  Show Profile
I recently read two things that might be of interest to my sisters. The first is an article I read on yahoo just yesterday that said companies like GE and Boeing were moving many of their production companies back to the U.S.A. because even though the labor was cheaper the shipping was extremely expensive. They also felt that the quality of the goods being produced weren't the best. Then almost as an "oh yeah" they indicated that they we want to support our country too. It is the new "trend", the new "cool" for companies. While I am thrilled to see some pride coming back, I some how have to think that if it didn't benefit them financially they wouldn't be doing it. On the one hand people need to work and having big companies like them back would certainly help, but I almost wish no one would work for them because it isn't really the American interests they seem to have at heart but rather their pocket books. For this reason and others I try to support small businesses as much as possible.

The other item I read was a book titled "A Year Without Made In China". It was about one families choice to try and live for one year without buying anything made in China. It was an interesting experiment. It was a pretty good read. It was a little frustrating for me because the entire family really wasn't on board with the idea which made it more challenging for the author. But it was interesting to see how the simplest things we use and need can't be found any where these days but China.

Lisa
An Indiana Suburban Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  09:43:56 AM  Show Profile
I've also had these books recommended to me, though I haven't read them yet: _Poorly Made in China_ by Paul Midler, _Re-Made in the USA_ by Todd Lipscomb and _Confessions of an eco-sinner : tracking down the sources of my stuff_ by Fred Pearce.

Farmgirl Sister #3754
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  8:18:14 PM  Show Profile
thanks so much Sharon,,,,will look into them.

Beverly

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  12:46:08 PM  Show Profile
Didn't have time to scroll through all the posts.

I may have posted something similar under the kitchen forum when talking about canning jams and such when I bought "bargain" canning jars only to discover they were made in China...found them at Wal Mart.

They were 2$$ cheaper but did not marry well with Ball, Kerr and Golder Harvest lids and rings (all of those are made in the USA) so lesson learned.

These China jars have a greenish cast to them, and they are stamped on the bottom with made in China. So I just throw them away.

And on a different note, please to know the Carhart name is made in the US too--yea!
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  3:29:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters,
I enjoy the woolen products made in America by Johnson Woolen Mills in Vermont. They have an online outlet store at http://www.johnsonwoolenmills.com They are pricey, but high quality and very well made with attention to craftmanship and detail and will last for decades. The items I have will no doubt become heirloom clothing for my daughter. They are timeless, rugged beautiful woolen wares. The mill was featured a few years ago on the television series "Made in America"
Best to you all.
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Lexi Lavender
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Lexi
Bangor Maine
USA
92 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  4:30:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies,
I always check labels to buy American and you probably think of this too, whenever possible I buy local. Farmers markets these days have meat, cheese, vegetables, fruit, plants, bread and other bakery items, jams, honey, plus other hand made things... all produced by someone like us! Plus it all tastes so much better.

Silverweed-Alexis...Farmgirl#4034

A weed is just a plant that no one has found a use for yet...
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  3:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Buy fresh, buy local. Did you know that when you spend money doing business with a locally owned business, much of that money goes back in to the community in the form of taxes, support for local charities, and jobs for your neighbors? It's true. Unfortunately, some of the products they use or sell may not be made in the USA, but many of such business people try to follow that rule. I know I do. As a designer of print media, I insist on using paper made in the USA by a family-owned paper company that runs its factory in an environmentally safe way. It's the little bit I can do. On the other hand, I use an Apple computer. That's an American company, but like most other manufacturers in this country, part or all of my computer was made elsewhere in the world. I have followed with concern the recent stories about the conditions in China under which people make Apple products. But switching isn't an option for me -- and anyway, what would I switch to? Another product made under the same conditions? Or go out of business? Every generation has it's moral dilemmas. This one is ours.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Buy American Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page