Page: of 5

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  11:00:38 AM  Show Profile
Beverly, I just read you latest post and that made me think that I had seen a list of American made toys and toy makers on line and I found it again! I thought I'd share this link to give us a few options for the little folks of our families.

http://www.toysmadeinamerica.com/

Happy Autumn!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

cottagefarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Cathy
Marion NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  11:39:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the USA websites ladies.
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  1:12:51 PM  Show Profile
thanks Annika...much appreciate that....\\

Beverly

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  04:30:56 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I went shopping yesterday for a few items for the kitchen. Unfortunately, the items were made elsewhere. I tried to look for the USA brand at several stores but could not locate the item made in the USA. So, I appreciate the websites that list items that are made in the USA. Thanks!

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  07:33:44 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
My Nordicware microwave multipot that I bought yesterday, was made in the USA! YES! But, my Pirogi Maker was not. Bummer...

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  1:37:15 PM  Show Profile
One of the things I'm doing is buying from local crafters, other Etsy shop owners, and locally owned restaurants (gift certs.) for the Christmas season. For the restaurants, I won't buy from a chain - I'll get a gc for a family member to a restaurant they like that's owned by a local chef. Keep as much money in your local economy as possible.

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  1:03:49 PM  Show Profile
I guess in a way that's why it might be hard to always buy American----todAY on impulse I saw a cute really cute trddy bear with feathers.....an ornament for $1.00....couldn't believe how cute it was...bought 3. Made in China...wasn't too happy with myself.

Beverly Gill

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  1:31:32 PM  Show Profile
Well, I just knocked three Christmas gifts off my list and I have to say, none of them are US made. One is made in France, one was made 40 years ago in Ireland and the other is made in Italy. I still have several other gifts to buy and those are earmarked for Etsy. My inlaws are super hard to buy for, but I've found many handmade items that I would give them in a second.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

SRhea
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sue
San Angelo TX
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  1:50:03 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for sharing. I am in total agreement.
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  4:20:20 PM  Show Profile
Here is a great store with all made in America items. It is called the Made in America store in Elma New York. http://www.saveourcountryfirst.com/

The only thing is a lot of their items - like shirts - say made in America. I wish they would just have regular items that did not say that on it.

The store was featured on Good Morning America.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page

herbalady
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Lynn
Northford Connecticut
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  10:07:43 AM  Show Profile
I love this site...Just today I shopped for a few kitchen items (crockpot & hand mixer) for a Christmas gift, but didn't buy them b/c they were made in China.
I usually find what I need from the internet by googling made in U.S.A....This may take longer, but we need to look at the big picture and start to support our citizens here so our future generations will have a job to go to each day.

Lynn

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your barefeet and the winds long to play with your hair"....Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  11:35:17 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes Made in USA may cost more, but a few quality items are worth more than a bunch of Made in China, junk. I think for me it is a matter of getting more and more out of the American materialistic mindset and focus on the old saying "Quality is better than quantity".

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/
http://adaywithnonnaandboompa.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  12:08:24 PM  Show Profile
I just wanted to post about MaryJane's own Project Farm and the lovely things that she has in her shops and her online store.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/ProjectFarm/

It's Nov. 11th, Go hug a Veteran today and say thank you!

Have a happy weekend!!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  12:16:03 PM  Show Profile
That's right, Annika--and I can attest to the quality and amazing flavors and scents from Sunflower Sundries in Mt. Olivet, Kentucky (about an hour from me). We go to her annual holiday open house each year and stock up on Christmas gifts for co-workers and plenty of stoneground mustard and hand ground corn meal for corn bread. It's crazy amazing!

Go to Top of Page

hummingbirdjoy
True Blue Farmgirl

1217 Posts

Linda
Washington State
USA
1217 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  12:45:17 PM  Show Profile
I firmly believe in buying "American" made goods and services.
One of my "easy" answers to this dilema is to buy the "Entertainment
Books" which support many local businesses in areas across the U.S.
Right now, they are offering $10 off at some of the local stores
that sell them like Walgreen's or Rite Aid, etc. check your Sunday
papers. You can also buy them on line. It's one of many possibilities mentioned in this thread, the important thing is to
support our US businesses and local services. We need to use every
opportunity to build the economy back up in this great country.

What I make with my
hands, I give with my heart ....
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  1:06:52 PM  Show Profile
I am making a pledge to myself to really buckle down and don't give in to not buying American. I do have to disagree with the thought that everything made overseas is of poor quality......not really.

As I reflect on what really made me start getting real in buying American///////during the October nor'easter I had no heat for 2 days.
It wasn't that that bad but I felt for all the Americans who have to do without heat.....all winter. The homeless.........enough is enough.....if I can help in any way by reading labels and not giving in to buying products not made by Americans.....I will do it.
I say spread the word and help our economy---only Buy American. Lets bring the jobs back to America.....there's just way too much poverty in this rich country of ours.

Beverly Gill.....who usuallynever ever vents like this

Beverly Gill

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  1:15:26 PM  Show Profile
@Bev, I don't buy things from China or Asian countries in general, but I do buy things made in England, Ireland, France and Italy. All from small batch artisans--there is a great resurgence in the UK to buy UK made products, as well, from local artists and farm shops and support small stockists. It's not just America that this is happening to--globablization of products has been difficult for lots of individual countries. Imagine a similar impact on a smaller country like Ireland or England...

That said, I just bought 3 more gifts from Etys :) Missouri, Utah and California.

Go to Top of Page

gypsy farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Susan
Dublin OH
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  4:33:11 PM  Show Profile
Great Topic Beverly..I had to search really hard today to find American oranges.

The big fancy oranges from South Africa were placed up front...
the oranges on sale were from Spain...
there were some sad looking oranges in the back from Vero Beach, Florida but since I always try to buy American I looked closer and they were just not freshly picked that's all..
a little soft and small...but since I'm a native Floridian..and planned to use the oranges right away...I bought the homegrown oranges!!!!

Love the gift ideas Luane...and timely...I was just thinking TODAY about the best Christmases ever and they were always the ones where we had given homemade gifts. I remember my brother made keep sake chests or "foot lockers" for both of his nephews. My son kept legos and robots in his when he was younger..now it houses hockey & music magazines and notebooks of his original music.

The first year my husband and I were in our NC home, we made candles for everyone. Each candle had it's own label and date on the bottom and we had hand picked evergreens and/or holly with its berries from our property to place inside the candles before they hardened. They peeked through the white wax just beautifully. I was also thinking that I've waited too long to really properly plan out my hand made gifts so magazine subscriptions and food gifts were running through my mind.

Also, one more thing...one year we limited our gift price to $1.00. YES, one dollar per gift!!!! It was amazing the things everyone came up with from garage sales, dollar tables in the backs of stores, etc. It was soooo much fun and easy on the already empty pockets!!!! The gifts really had meaning that year because so much thought went into them to personalize the effort.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Farmgirl #3632
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  4:37:22 PM  Show Profile
I like that idea alot.......thanks for sharing.

Beverly

Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  04:21:52 AM  Show Profile
Pumpkin in the can product of China WHAT THE HECK ? Keep checking all labels. Women keep up the good work we can really make a difference.!

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  05:51:19 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely.........

Beverly

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  06:02:31 AM  Show Profile
This is a great discussion and I'd like to add something that I hope isn't too controversial. Here is the link for The Story of Stuff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GorqroigqM). Its a video (~20 mins) - and it shows the impact from start to finish. I think its very well done. The Story of Stuff Project was made to make people aware of the real cost of supposedly "low cost" items. The Story of Stuff Project has their own website and has expanded into other areas - including a video on the out-dated regulations used for cosmetics (which was a real eye-opener for me).

I also do my best to buy things made in the USA - just recently I made a choice for a storm door - Larson made in US - vs. another brand made in Canada. Although, I'm not opposed to buying things from Canada - I don't think they support child or slave labor - but it was important to me to buy US made items - even though it cost more. So often, I hear people bemoan the fact that it cost so much more to buy US made items - but they don't bat an eye at dropping a ton of money on a bunch of "stuff" because our advertisers have made it clear that more is better - especially this time of year. I guess its all about priorities. The way I see it is you either pay now or pay later - and I think for the sake of our children and grandchildren, we need to pay attention.

With that said, I own a small tea business - so I buy tea from other countries - and tea accessories. However, it has been my objective to buy organic and fair-trade tea. I buy from a couple small vendors with integrity that I trust. Also, I prefer to buy fine bone china mugs made in England - not China or India even though they are half the price. But I prefer to support craftsmen and artisans - I recently had a long talk with my mug supplier (who is British) and asked why can't we make fine bone china mugs in the US - he didn't have an answer for me. So, when you go into a small shop, check to see where they buy their products - and know there is a reason I have to charge $12 - $15 for a mug... I don't make very much money (I've kept my day job) - but this is the way I want to do business. I don't mind taking baby steps. So yes, its very important to support small, local shops...

Another good resource is the book "Hundred Dollar Holiday: The Case for a More Joyful Christmas" by Bill McKibben - and here's an article he did for Mother Jones in 1997 (http://motherjones.com/politics/1997/11/christmas). The book is short and to the point about how Christmas has been manipulated into the shopping frenzy it is today through retailers...

Anyhoo, I'll step off my soapbox now (sorry, didn't mean to go on and on) - thanks for all your ideas - I LOVE MJ's FARM Project items and the $1 gift exchange idea. We're doing something like that in our farmgirl chapter. We drew names and we're buying gifts for kids to donate - but the gift has to remind us of the person who's name we drew. Then we're going to buy that farmgirl a present that can't exceed $5 and preferably something consumable. Keep up the good work.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  09:02:24 AM  Show Profile
I notice that lots of books are printing from China. I never saw that until this year. I love books so you can imagine when I saw the fine prints.

I didn't see any can goods (foods) made in China yet. Need to check it out one day.

As long there are Walmarts & customers it is hard to find products that last long and Made in America. People love cheap stuffs!

I do buy Made in Japan fabrics though. I really loveeeeeeee their fabrics...the quality and their creativity. I did buy liberty of london fabric too but my goodness sake...the price is very very expensive. I can't afford that. I really wish there is an American textile that have colorful fabric similar to Japan. I would be sooooooo happy.

Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  10:01:35 AM  Show Profile
Annie, I know just what you are saying........my son is due back from India soon.....I had wanted him to buy me some products from April Cornell----she has beautiful merchandise made in India then sells here....then I wanted material from India, and some Christmas products.........now I am not too sure......I really want o stick to helping my first home America.
I too have noticed that a lot of paper goods and books are printed in China......I hope to find som in America.
As far as my barter with Sheila at the scholastics fair...I will try to stick to the USA....try.

Beverly

Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  12:45:01 PM  Show Profile
We have a lot of items made in Pennsylvania. There is a show called PNC tours on every afternoon and it features small factories and companies from PA that make items. It is really interesting. I will see what stores are listed there. I love the http://www.toysmadeinamerica.com/ site that Luanne (I think it was her) posted.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Buy American Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page