Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Best Emergency Chicken De-Wormer?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Best Emergency Chicken De-Wormer? Next Topic  

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  07:30:51 AM  Show Profile
Since I discovered my sick hen has worms, what's the best wormer for right now, to kill them and get her back on her feet quickly? Can't do a vet, and she's pretty sick. Someone else mentioned -

safeguard (fenbendazole) or valbazen (albendazole). Any other ideas? The farm store opens at 10, then I'm off to see what they have... The I'll do the other 2...

Be the change...

http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  2:32:57 PM  Show Profile
thank goodness you caught that...any chicken wormer will work so don't fret over which to get but do get some apple cider vinegar while you are out...this will prevent worms later for you...1 capful per gallon of water each time you change the water daily will be a big help to them........also remember you can't eat the eggs for the next 10-14 days after you give it to them...I do the 14 days to be on the safe side....also increase their protein now for the next 10-14 days as well...the worms have depleted them of what they need...increase calcium also...give yogurt/milk/whey/cottage cheese once daily...a few tablespoons mixed in with dry feed...best time to do the extra protein & calcium is late in the day so when they roost they are slowly working this thur their body & getting more of it in their system. Protein i use for a fast help is the dried mealy worms for wild birds...with the few you have just give enough each day in the feed so they each get a few pieces....don't have to do alot or give the whole container at once...yes it runs about $9 for it but if you divide it for the 10/14 days you will be helping the hens get back to their old healthy ways faster....good luck & am sorry you are having to deal with this....
also make sure to sweep up any bad bedding ect daily so they aren't eating the dead worms...yeah yucky but will help greatly if they can't get to any live ones & if possible rake out the run if they are in one.....also if you have dogs/cats make sure to check your shoes so you don't track any in where they can accidently eat them.......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  2:36:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, I did get her started on Wazine 17 since it was all I could find. I started her on a high calorie paste that was recoomended to help bring her energy back up...

Be the change...

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  2:38:37 PM  Show Profile
that sounds perfect...good to know the paste will be a big help for you....& get them back on the road to chicken happy dances...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  2:42:03 PM  Show Profile
can you share what the high calorie paste is? I have to deworm mine in two weeks for the first time.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  3:44:22 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I used PetSmart's GNC's High Calorie Booster (for dogs) chicken flavor. She's got her color back and has much more energy. I read about the paste on backyardchickens.com

Be the change...

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  10:23:33 AM  Show Profile
I had to smile when i read it was chicken flavored...lol...did you tell the hen it was turkey flavored...thats what we say around here now...we never eat chicken now its always small turkeys...lol.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  4:01:05 PM  Show Profile
Nope, she didn't ask :) Smelled like beef to me!

Be the change...

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  12:52:13 PM  Show Profile
LOL.....mine get that look you know like they know I am up to something....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  4:06:41 PM  Show Profile
I just opened her beak and smeared a little 1/4" blob, she worked it down...

Be the change...

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Best Emergency Chicken De-Wormer? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page