Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Silly statement by one of my professors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Silly statement by one of my professors Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  7:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
She stated that "Anyone who has ever owned or milked a cow would know that no one would ever consider that a hobby!"

This was in relation to a tax law discussion but I just snorted and had to laugh even though I was highly irritated by the comment. Not only to I _know_ many people who own and milk cows as a hobby or as a way to supplement their food for their family (in the tax law sense this would still be considered a "hobby") and I wanted to remark that not all dairy comes from huge factory farms!! But of course since she holds my grade in the palm of her hand I decided to come here to growl a bit.

I really dislike blanket statements- especially when it comes to farming and ranching type activities. I understand not everyone has the mentality of a farmgirl- but seriously- some of us enjoy the muck and the mud and communing with our animal buddies.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  7:25:17 PM  Show Profile
Amen...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  10:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like she has never been out of the city...lol....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  2:58:16 PM  Show Profile
I with you Alee - growling and wishing to have her here at the 2 am barn checks and baby pulling.... Maybe after you grade is secure you can introduce her to reality...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  8:08:55 PM  Show Profile
i agree i love my cow! and all the work to take care of her.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  05:20:45 AM  Show Profile
Good professors thrive on discussion and well thought out arguments. I wish she'd created a more comfortable environment so you could have spoken up, if for no other reason than to keep her from brain-washing all the other students into believing that's true. Sigh.

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  05:23:29 AM  Show Profile

I don't see this as an insult. I interpret this as her saying that there is more labor involved in maintaining a cow than in other activities that are considered hobbies--like knitting (which I do), or reading.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  06:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rosemary- I certainly see your point, however things that are labor intensive can be hobbies too. For example mountain ice climbing, or hand carving furniture- or caring for animals. All those things can be very time intensive but can also be considered hobbies. I spend hours grooming my horse and love every second of it but some people (like my husband) would only see that as a chore. I think it is a matter of differences in opinion.

This teacher and I don't get alone at all though. She aggravates me. We have a test due today and on Tuesday we have a homework assignment due on the next chapter. So I have to spend all day on a test today, all day tomorrow reading 100+ pages to be able to do the homework and then Tuesday do the homework in addition to working on several semester long projects from her. She is just a bit over the top in everything. LOL

I am glad you ladies understand how frustrating it is to read something like her comments. I am so glad I can come here and growl a little bit over it! LOL It helps me not growl when my grade depends on it! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  1:53:56 PM  Show Profile
I prefer that people with that kind of mentality stay there in the city because it's the ones like that who move out to the country that spoil all the manure slinging,morning milking,bucking fun for the rest of us so they can keep that mentality and stay right where they are,don't let it bother you Alee,the people that don't understand the difference between home grown produce that was wrought by hard work and love versus something produced in the industrial system,well,they can have it,we all know better so don't let her bother you Alee.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  3:52:52 PM  Show Profile
You go girl!!! I agree with your statement!! And even if I dont do what I would love to do YET, I will be doing this wonderful "hobby" soon
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  4:52:11 PM  Show Profile
I hate that some (not all) of my professors have the "agree with me or suffer my wrath" mentality. Nursing classes are not the place to unleash your political ideology or viewpoints, especially when not healthcare related. If I was teaching I would want to have students wh,o even though they may have different beliefs, believe what they do because they are actually interested and involved, not just because somebody else told them it is what they SHOULD believe.

Sorry, kind of veering off rant. Had a bad experience this week.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  09:33:49 AM  Show Profile
Along these same lines, a professor at Oregon State University, where my daughter attended, announced in class something about chickens and families. She and her friend just snorted.

I realize (and so do they) that chickens are flock animals, but mommy, daddy and children?

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Silly statement by one of my professors Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page