Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Prepper/Survivalist Tips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Prepper/Survivalist Tips Next Topic
Page: of 6

SunnyJam
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Jamie
Seattle WA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  11:35:02 AM  Show Profile
This thread and all you fabulous girls never cease to amaze me!!! I have never heard of oven canning before. It's something I'm definitely going to have to try!

Farmgirl Sister #2504
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  11:08:04 AM  Show Profile
Its funny all this talk about root cellars...up here in Massachusetts I have yet to see one but home (missouri) they are as common as weeds & boy do I miss having one......I do have a 1/2 above ground basement but there is something about the old dirt wall root cellars that I enjoyed...plus talk about being a great place to go into in the heat of the summer....free air conditioning!........I know alot of the old Red Scare bomb shelters were converted into root cellars but even those you don't hear of often anymore.........I always thought it would be cool to use a old metal shipping box, surround it in the ground with old tires & have wooden steps leading to the door would be cool.....Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Zippy
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Zee
Idaho
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  09:02:53 AM  Show Profile
I apologize ladies if I am posting something that has been discussed... I didn't read through all posts on this thread.

I believe it's pretty important to have some good medical skills. I became an EMT last year and have been serving as a volunteer for our local ambulance. There is no replacement for hands on experience, and being an EMT is a great way to serve your community. I would highly recommend it! It's also a way to get to know who your neighbors are, if you live in a small community. I've learned so much and gained valuable experience and skills.

"Only A Life Lived for Others is A Life Worthwhile."
~Albert Einstein

http://pinterest.com/zipporahd/
Go to Top of Page

hialtfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Terri
WA.
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  7:41:14 PM  Show Profile
WOW!!! 4 years ago when I was on here before,,,NOONE talked about prepping...this is sooo good....I probably am goint o say something that has already been said, bear with me....
Canning,hmmmm,seems like I have been doing this since I could write...mother did all of our growing years and so have I, I use ANY jar I get my hands on,,reuse all of my flats too...just boil the craziness out of them, to make sure there is no spoiled food on the flat..never have I had a problem,,same with those lids off of spaghetti jars or the like, BOIL< BOIL< BOIL...before you use them,,,again, ALL of mine seal, and good too....
Hope I didnt step on any toes....

"LOVING" life at 4000 feet elev.
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  8:00:47 PM  Show Profile
Malena, you and I are a little opposite. Hubby is the one with the end of civilized society talk. While I agree, let's be more self-reliant, back to basics, Hubby would like to stock up on ammo and guns to protect what's ours from the looter/freeloader types if/when something should happen.
Hubbs has a valley picked out way back in the hills behind us to head to in such an event. Being that we are within 200 yards of I-80, IF something big did happen we'd see traffic headed East or West. Literally out my kitchen windows,
We don't have big stock piles, but know how to be very self sufficient. From many types of hunting, fishing, canning, making our own of many types of things (welding, mechanic, sewing, crocheting, cooking) and all these skills we feel strongly about passing on to our boys.
I hope to have a root cellar in the near future. I have 2 dairy cows, and all 3 boys have learned to hand milk the older Cow.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hialtfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Terri
WA.
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  04:26:44 AM  Show Profile
Great suggestions ladies...would it hurt any of us to go "without" something for a while? We moved to 4000 feet elev. and off grid to do just that...it is workable...but!!!....we do "without" alot...I had to ask myself and my dh the question,,,
"Is what we are doing without really needed anyhows ?".
Living in America WE ARE SOOO SPOILED !!!
LOVED the suggestions...

"LOVING" life at 4000 feet..."LOVE" is a very splendid thing...
Go to Top of Page

Zippy
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Zee
Idaho
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  1:06:38 PM  Show Profile
That's for sure, Terri, we Americans are spoiled! We certainly don't need much of what we think we do. It's good to try and get by with less... even a lot less, lol!

~Albert Einstein

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  2:35:49 PM  Show Profile
Zee, "Bird" :) I enjoyed your pinterest pins. I love the Lord too and enjoy Dr. Who :)

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Zippy
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Zee
Idaho
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  7:45:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sharon!

~Albert Einstein

Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  05:41:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies, I wanted to post quickly today. I was roaming on pintrest and found this site http://ms-dee.hubpages.com/hub/Make-Your-Own-MREs-with-Local-Grocery-Store-Items Now for any girls thinking they may have to bug out it was great to see how to make your own MREs I watched a few videos and I thought I would share my notes.

Homemade MRE Content Notes
Lysol wipes in baggies
M and Ms
soup, in own baggie
salt and pepper packets
gum
100 calorie packs
small thing of peanutbutter
grain bar/fig newtons
tea, gatoraid, crystal light packages or instant coffee
spoon, fork, knife
breakfast can be made with oatmeal
Knorr rice sides
spam, can come indiv pack
tuna packs
seasoning packs, can use MJF book one to find spice mixes

General notes
Food saver bags can have boiling water in them.
Calculate how long to get to bug out location, via car, or on foot
topographical maps of local area
how to make granola bars and package them

Just thought I would share. Have a great day

Also wanted to add my pintrest boards
http://pinterest.com/alterationsbyem/preppin-for-the-apocalypse/
http://pinterest.com/alterationsbyem/preppin-for-the-apocolypse-gardening/

---
Farmgirl #2951
2012 Farmgirl of the Year
http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily

Edited by - alterationsbyemily on Dec 13 2012 05:44:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  4:21:41 PM  Show Profile
We aren't off grid, but I always try to use as little energy as possible. I had about 30 pounds of elk meat to grind, and I didn't want to take it 10 miles to a grinder. Years ago I had gotten a #10 Enterprise/Chop-rite, crank meat grinder. I had never used it. I use the little ones all the time to grind cooked meat, fruit, etc. The #10 worked wonderful, it was easy to crank, and worked really fast. It probably only took about 20 minutes to finish. I looked them up on Lehman's and they are spendy, but I got mine at a thrift store, and see them quite often. Something every homestead should have.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  4:39:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by westfork woman

The #10 worked wonderful, it was easy to crank, and worked really fast. It probably only took about 20 minutes to finish. I looked them up on Lehman's and they are spendy, but I got mine at a thrift store, and see them quite often. Something every homestead should have.

You are incredibly lucky then. I've only come across the occasional rusted-out/broken meat grinder for sale at consignment shops for $15-$20, kind of a let down. Even cast iron is a small fortune here, been looking for a big flat griddle for myself for over a year, and no dice (I want an old Wagner or Griswold two burner griddle because, well, I feed 6 people!).

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2012 :  09:40:38 AM  Show Profile
Lanna, Thrift shopping is one of the only things I like about living so close to Boise. There are lots of second hand, and thrift stores in the area. When we were in Wyoming I found out not everyone is so lucky. I have found really amazing things at thrift stores. One day there was something in the as is room at our local store. It was an insulated 2 peice cup holding about a pint, with a crank on top. I didn't know what it was, and obviously the store didn't either. I bought it for $2. I found out it was a Williams-Sonoma, very expensive ice cream freezer. I just don't get to go thrifting as often as I used to.

Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  11:15:57 AM  Show Profile
So excited, got our generator yesterday, been wanting one forever. Now for some shelving for basement and garage for food storage and disaster supplies. I'm so excited, this will be a great wintertime project. Got some really nice bail jars with rubber seals at the goodwill last week, think will be great for storing dehydrated stuff. Got a combo grill that can cook with propane and/or charcoal, so if power is out we can still fix hot meals.

Farmgirl #522

Edited by - neeter302 on Dec 30 2012 12:24:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2012 :  12:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Just curious about what ya'll are doing for the EMP threats? Anything specific with regards to communication equipment?

I am more of a self-sufficient, provident living type person than a "prepper" - but both ways of life do cross each other!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2013 :  09:16:52 AM  Show Profile
RE: EMPs
I am not sure what we can do as individuals. I understand that the sun is planning some big solar flare ups within the year and this could create a "natural" (though self limiting) EMP effect.

My immediate concern is water (electric pumps), food (cooking devices), and communication with family (solar disruptions of cell phones, land lines, computers, etc).

At any rate, if there any solar disruptions were strong enough to create a negative impact, it might start a much needed conversation about this not-so-new threat if used by "unfriendlies".

I believe the old survival tv show "Jerico" started out with an EMP attack. Might want to review the first few episodes on line.

Thuoghts anyone?

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2013 :  11:20:23 AM  Show Profile
EMP?? Sorry but I don't know what that stands for.I just prep for hurricanes so far, but I am pretty self sufficient and want to do more. This site has been most helpful. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2013 :  11:41:02 AM  Show Profile
ELECTROMAGETIC PULSE.. I think I got that right. What it does is interrupt electro-magnetic signals.

If an EMP device were put inside missle and launched against a nation, it would create this EMP effect it would stop everything that runs on electo-magnetic waves.. Think your microwave.. your radio/tv/computer/phones... your automobile.. the gas pumps...the ELECTRIC GRID !!

This is not a newly discovered phenomena.. It has been know about for ages. The Jericho tv drama was about the aftermath affects on the USA after an enemy attack with an EMP.

The EMP effect would not last forever, but could truly cripple a society for a period of time if it were done by an unfriendly nation or person.

NOW.. THE SUN.. the sun can send out waves can act like EMP in effect. When we have Solar Storms, we are sometimes advised that some communications may be disrupted temporarily.

In the mid 1890"s there was such a big solar storm, that the Aurora was seen in the southern USA and some telegraph wires exploded, it was said that telegraph machines that were disconnected from their wires were reported to be receiving messages (???)by picking up the solar EMP frequencies, etc.

Are we in any danger? The odds are probably slim that we would be the victim of an EMP attack. Countries can upgrade their Grids etc to overcome the affects.

We are more likely to be affected when a satelite that bounces signals goes out and our credit card doesn't work until the signal is rerouted to another satelite.. Or the East Coast Superstorm, the southern tornadic outbreaks or another major Hurricane.

It's just one more of those things like Y2K that companies/governments need to upgrade their systems to prevent. Prevent what you can.. Be Prepared for the rest. Good Girl Scout Motto...

Have a Great New Year !

MJ

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2013 :  6:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Faraday cages can protect electronics from EMPs, you can build one any size you like and it's not difficult.
Just type how to make a faraday cage in your search engine and there are tons of easy and great ideas out there.

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2013 :  04:05:10 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Anita...

I thught I heard about something that could be done if this was ever a serious threat...

Please correct me if I am wrong...but I think I remember that a Faraday Cage insulates one against electric current.. Think about being in a car during a thunderstorm -- or if you accidentally drove over a downed electric wire after a storm.......just don't touch any metal.
\mj

Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  5:44:32 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies - I've just started reading more about prepping, and started to put together a small kit of "emergency supplies" that might come in handy in a portable bin.

As I looked around my house, I realized how many things I already own that would be helpful in an emergency - they were just scattered/hidden/buried, so I either forgot I had them, or wouldn't be able to find them.

For example - a "shake up" flashlight that doesn't need batteries that I was given years ago that still works, a swedish "fire starter" that my dad got my husband because he thought it was cool, and about 5 different swiss army pocket knives in different locations around the house.

There are still some things I would like to buy, but I was so excited that so many things really just needed to be organized and put in a central location. I'm going to keep working at it!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2013 :  11:44:07 AM  Show Profile
One of our neighbors is into preparedness, and has been for a very long time. She presented to program at our Ladies club. She has a medium size soft sided suitcase, and a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid. Inside are everything you need to evacuate in case of emergency. All the usual things you would need, and nside the bucket is a portable toilet shelter thing from a camping store, and heavy plastic bags. Think how handy that would be if you were stranded in a traffic jam while evacuating. She joked you could even make money charging for its use.

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2013 :  07:43:30 AM  Show Profile
When you do a first aid kit look to the sales. I bought a several styles of boxes of band aids for $1 at the grocery one day. The clerk just looked at me and I pointed to the 10 month old and said, getting ready.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2013 :  3:34:54 PM  Show Profile
I've never been a big fan of dehydrating, mostly because I've been under the misconception the foods didn't taste so good. Boy was I mistaken, or well uneducated maybe. LOL. Anyway this very sweet lady totally changed my perception and now I'm a dehydrating nut. Watch her You Tube videos Dehydrate2Store, which for some reason are not on her website, but many other wonderful and helpful videos are. She made a believer out of me ! www.dehydrate2store.com
I'm amazed at all the things that can be dehydrated. Longer shelf life, lightweight,can be stored/packaged in numerous ways, more versatile than canning, preserves vitamins and enzymes, possibilities are endless, check it out my sisters if you don't already dehydrate.
Farmgirl #522

Edited by - neeter302 on Jan 13 2013 3:39:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2013 :  09:03:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the resource! My dehydrater is running most of the time. I love the compact, easy storage of dehydrated vegetables. I am an avid canner, but the dried stuff is quite handy.

I started a veggie powder jar. Anything I have that's "left over" the last bit of celery, vegetables we aren't going to get too, peppers, even lettuce- I dehydrate them, powder in the blender and then add to my jar. It's great seasoning in soups, casseroles, even on hamburger. You never know exactly what you are going to get, because it depends on what went in. Sometimes it's a little warmer than others if I had extra jalapenos. But then it mellows back out again. It's an ongoing jar.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Prepper/Survivalist Tips Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page