Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Prepper/Survivalist Tips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Prepper/Survivalist Tips Next Topic
Page: of 6

ModernishHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Colorado
USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  5:47:27 PM  Show Profile
I love Doomsday Preppers. Some of those families are truly impressive (others a little nuts). Definitely inspire me.

Anyone read Life As We Knew It? It is a YA book about a global disaster, and is what first got me thinking about making sure I have some preps set aside. It's hard as a grad student in a rental house that I know I'll be moving out of in just a month though . . . can't wait to get a full-time gig somewhere I can settle down for a while.

***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***
I'm just a 20-something girl making a home for me (and my dog) and waiting for the family to fill it!

---

modernishhomemaker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  06:10:05 AM  Show Profile
Lots of good info here! Never knew about some of the stuff, good to keep in the back of the mind :) I keep what I can and since I am an on going canner and "old school enthusiast" We shouldn't have too much of a problem if something does happen. If my ancestors could live of this land, then by all means my little family should be able too as well. I've been studying local forages, learning not just to grow my own food but also seek out what God's creation supplies naturally for us from the land. It's incredibly interesting and also has helped me learn more about living off the seasons and stock piling enough food for the family over the winter. It's sure an adventure finding creative ways to live off the land from the land and also as frugally as possible. My husband and I would love to live off the grid completely some day, mainly for the adventure of it all and because we can, not necessarily because we want to stick it to big business. One of my biggest desires is for a hand pump well someday. A spring room wouldn't be that bad either but for now I will keep my dreams simple and easier to achieve. So, until we actually buy our own land we will continue to be as frugal as possible, living as independent as possible and learning all we can from others so once we actually get there we will have a good game plan and the idea is that it will be easier for us to get off the grid by learning from others plans (sorry to say, also their mistakes but I'm sure we will make plenty of our own too!) so that way it can possibly happen quicker! So excited for that someday to be here but for now, I'm workin' and learnin' away!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  6:01:28 PM  Show Profile
So happy to find some farm girls with the same ideas! It is always great to be prepared.

One thing my husband and I discused is be careful who you tell about prepping. If it ever hits the fan, everyone will know that you are prepared and head in your direction. I know I could not turn away hungry people. With things going the way they are it is best to be safe.

Also, consider what way you would filter your water. We just bought a Crown Berkey (holds 6 gallons). It can filter pretty bad water into drinkable water. It does not use any electricity which is a major plus...just another idea to throw out there.

Thanks again for all the tips!

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  5:41:11 PM  Show Profile
My hubby says "why bother?" If we are in a disaster situation, think New Orleans.. rioters and looters will just take everything anyway. Just WHERE and HOW, can one safe-guard the things they put away for a disaster (Mother Nature/Manmade). After all, NOrleans was not a long crisis.. but people have a Lord of the Flies mentality when they are under pressure - and we saw it on TV.. they seemed to be having getting "free" stuff (after all, how were they going to watch all those stolen TVs without electricity???)
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  6:50:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi again. I just read all the way through the older posts. This is a really fun forum !! I had a relative who was interested in the Mormon church a few years back, so I helped him do research on it and found some food great storage ideas! After all, LDS have taught members to store upto a years supply of food (for their emergency needs, or friends or families). I was really impressed.

I had to laugh at some of the places food could be stored -- make an end table out of boxes and cover with table cloth. Uses boxes of food storage made the size of a twin size bed / add foam mattress, skirt, quilts, spread, etc. = A bed ! Get thick foam in case the grand kiddos spend the night LOL !

Seriouly though, I was very impressed. Also learned how to make a solar oven, 72 hour kits, and all about flour grinders, water purifiers, etc. A whole church (11 million people) are interested in food storage and preparation so they don't have to rely on the government (bet they're are on that watch list too !)

How can FEMA on one hand tell us to stock up to 8 weeks of food in our pantry, and another government agencies think we are anarchists because listen to FEMA? Do these people not talk to each other?

My elderly mom had a large chest size freezer in her kitchen FILLED, and a huge pantry (think 20 feet long, 8 feet high and 2 feet deep off the kitchen) STOCKED FLOOR TO CEILING with food. When she was snowed in for the winter (one year for almost 3 months -- she didn't have to worry about food for her and dad.

I like the company BEPREPARED.COM (Emergency Essentials).. they sell large and small cans of dehydrated or freeze dried foods that have upto 30 years shelf life. Also the white food grade (important) buckets and the snazzy lids, as well as the Mylar liners.

A REALLY GOOD SITE IS THE MOMORNS AT: LDS.org --- click on it and then follow these instructions....

Go to the bottom left of the page and click on PROVIDENT LIVING.
When that page opens us, go to the left side of the page and click on BECOMING SELF SUFFICIENT.

When that page opens up, go to the left side of the page and click on EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS
When that page opens up, go to the left side of the page and click on HOME STORAGE.

When that page opens up.. go to the bottom Middle of the page and click on LONG TERM FOOD SUPPLY

You can also order from "store.LDS.com" and don't have to be a member of the Church. The prices are pretty good and the food stuff is all top grade. My DH and I visited Salt Lake City last summer and I spent 2 weeks doing genealogy research there. GREAT facility!! Anyway, I got to tour the WELFARE SQUARE where foods are canned for church welfare usage -- The church does have canneries around the country, and you MIGHT be able to go to one with a church member -- one can buy stuff in bulk their and they teach you how to use the canning equipment.

AND.,.. did you know that it was impossible to order Mountain Home freeze dried food this summer because the US Government was buying it all up and stock-piling it for the potential of a major earthquake along the San Madrid fault line (the midwest). That's the one that rerouted the Mississippi River in the past after a major quake. "A DAMAGING EARTHQUAKE in this AREA, 6.0 or greater, occur about every 80 years (the last one in 1895). The results would cause serious damage to schools and masonry buildings from Memphis to St Louis"-- from the St. Charles, Mo Division of Emergency Management]

Well gals.. let's here some more great ideas.. I used to tell my kids that OURS (the older baby boomers) was the "last good generation" -- we were resonably safe in our homes and on the streets. We had real freedom, and the good guys in the white hats did their jobs honorably. We had healthy, untainted food supplies, and people weren't afraid to help strangers or even go to bed with their houses unlocked. Now-- time as a way of changing things. And the world is not so safe, our foods are not so pure, we have several locks on our door (and an alarm system, a dog with big teeth, and 911 on speed dial), and all is night right with the world.

I pray that you and yours are safe tonight.. and find peace and contentment.

Mary Madelena
FG 3153
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  6:20:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies,

I found this really great site for prepping information.

http://www.preppers.info/Free_Downloads.html

I am in love so much right now.

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  7:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey Emily, that looks like a nice site. I bookmarked it. Thanks!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BitsofEntropy?ref=si_shop
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  7:18:22 PM  Show Profile
Emily, Thanks for the link. I have been reading it most of the night.

Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

desperadosdream
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Malena
Versailles Indiana
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  09:06:13 AM  Show Profile
Dry canning is an awesome way to preserve bulk and food bought cheaper when its closer to its shelf date. It extends the shelf life to virtually forever and keeps it from moisture, pests or other mishaps. Any dry goods can be done using this method...cake mixes, pastas and grains, flour or cornmeal etc. Quick,easy and you have more control over what you have available during times of need (organic vs processed) etc.

Have a great day!
M
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  4:58:17 PM  Show Profile
WHAT IS DRY CANNING AND HOW IS IT DONE???

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2012 :  10:02:43 PM  Show Profile
I am not sure what Malena was referring to, but I can dry food in the oven...called oven canning...fill jars with dry goods, set in low oven for a few hours and cap...listen for the pop....will stay good for years!

With food prices skyrocketing I plan to start stock piling lots of dry goods!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  10:57:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Auntie M,
I am one of those people that need more specific and operational instructions. I love the idea of dry canning. You say fill the canning jars with the dry goods. How much head space do you leave? What temperature do you consider a "low" oven? Leave for a few hours...does that mean 3, 4, 5 hours? Then do you put the lids on when you take the jars out of the oven and they are warm or do you let them cool? You can tell this is new for me! But I love the idea, because I store organic cornmeal ground from a grist mill in my freezer, but would love to be able to shelf it. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Annie
Farmgirl sister #3655

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  05:11:16 AM  Show Profile
Annette, of course, I am the same way. I subscribe to a magazine called countryside and they talk about oven canning all the time. Finally, upon demand they reprinted the original article by Lil Roberts from Manteca, CA....I won't quote te article but will retell it in my own words....

Fill 1/2 gallon, quarts, and pints jars with dry goods...place in a pre-heated 200 degree oven...fill the oven up with your jars...after one hour remove the first jar and cap it tightly, set it on a towel lined counter to cool...the lids will heat quickly and as they cool they will pop. Continue emptying the oven...CAUTION, jars are extremely hot, so be sure and use a good gripping oven proof material to remove them from the oven.

Again, this method is not safe for canning vegetables, jellies...use regular canning methods for those. This is for DRY goods only...flour, dried beans, cornmeal, oatmeal. Dry cereal (not sugar coated). Now dehydrated veggies can also be oven canned.

Happy prepping, everyone...gotta run and purchase dry goods before the price skyrockets!!!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  10:21:38 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Auntie M. This is so useful! One more question..can you dry oven can pasta products like the elbow macaroni, bowties, etc.?
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  12:03:44 PM  Show Profile
Yes, you can....and the rumor is that your dry oven canned goods will last for years!!!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  12:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, Thank you so much Auntie M! This is the best tip I have had all year...other than some of the amazing reading and magazines mentioned by the farmgirls.
I am oven canning as I write this.
Yeah!
Annie

Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  2:54:12 PM  Show Profile
You go, Farmgirl! I just got home from purchasing 25 lbs of flour,25 lbs do cornmeal, 25 lbs of dried beans, macaroni, oats, and some egg noodles....let the canning begin!!!!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  5:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Marylyn Same here I am going to get as much as I can with what we have...

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  6:19:46 PM  Show Profile
I have oven canned a total of 75 lbs of dry goods this week! My kitchen sounded like popcorn was popping this morning as the lids were sealing...I giggled to myself!!!! I've got pasta and Oats yet to do.

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  08:57:41 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you tried dry canning in recycled jars? Think pickle jars from the store.

My canning jars are always rotating through the system with "wet" food. I just put up 49 jars of tuna yesterday. Anyway- I don't have canning jars to spare for dry canning. Just wondering how else you have overcome the jar shortage issue. Right now all my bulk is either in 50# bags or buckets.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  1:11:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi...I am new at canning, but in a recent web surfing on that very question I came across a comment that remarked that the glass in other jars not produced by American Canning Co in the U.S. (They make Ball, Kerr and Homestead Canning jars) is not nearly as strong as in the true mason jars designed for canning and the glass can crack or break. Many people use the jars of their empty Classico Spagetti Sauce jars because the canning lids fit that jar. That is all I know. Perhaps a few more responses will post for you to make an informed decision.
Way to go in all your canning!
Annie

Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  1:59:43 PM  Show Profile
I remember my grandmother always recycled jars for canning...any jar that came in the house was used for canning! I get my jars from yard sales, estate sales, from friends, and I buy a few dozen every year....

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2012 :  11:35:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by naturemaiden

i am preparing to start building my pantry and putting aside food for an emergency as well. do you girls have any tips for starting?

Start small. 72-hour kits for every person in your household. Then a week's worth of food in the house. Then a car emergency kit. Then a month's worth of food in the house. And so on.

Second tidbit? Eat what you store. A #10 can of dehydrated butter won't do you any good if you don't know how to use it or your family refuses to eat anything with it.

Oven canning... sounds like a lot of time/effort/work. I'm lazy, and have just repackaged foods with fresh oxygen absorbers (if at all). If you have dry goods/food and get your good seal and no/little oxygen in there, you should be golden.
That said, again, I'm lazy. So I have a tendency to push the boundaries of storage time/method... I've had flour and brown rice and some other stuff like that in 3.5-5-gallon bakery buckets (washed out thoroughly, and some with gamma seal lids) last much, much longer than 'safe' recommendations say. Granted, it's stored in my dry, steady temperature basement, but still.

I definitely reuse all the glass that comes through my house if I can. Or any 'disposable' jar... like the ones you get marinated artichokes or roasted peppers in or whatever. We wash everything off, get the labels and goo off, and I use them for dehydrated goodies or seed saving storage.

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page

desperadosdream
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Malena
Versailles Indiana
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  10:47:43 PM  Show Profile
An idea for you gals. I have a friend whose uncle was in the concrete business making septic tanks. When she and her husband built their home they purchased a new concrete septic tank from her uncle had it set on its side and covered it with a mound of earth all but the top opening, then they laid up a concrete block "front" wall and put in a door frame and steel door with no glass. It made a very nice cool and dark place to use for storage of any number of things or as a storm shelter. They put shelves inside for their canned goods etc and voila. They had a safe place for their goodies to hang out but they were easily accessible.

My husband thinks all the preppers are laughable for going to such extremes but I am not of the same mind in many regards. While I am not worried about the world ending or zombies coming to devour my family, I do think that anyone not open-minded enough to consider some very difficult times in our not so distant future (no matter the nature of those hard times) will find themselves in very serious circumstances. Kudos to all of us gals from doing the job of thinking ahead and preparing to go right on taking care of our loved despite in times of hardship despite the naysayers. I love reading everyones thoughts and ideas because while we may not all prepare in the same exact ways at least we are making an honest attempt to be proactive in our futures.

Malena
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  12:03:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by desperadosdream

An idea for you gals. I have a friend whose uncle was in the concrete business making septic tanks. When she and her husband built their home they purchased a new concrete septic tank from her uncle had it set on its side and covered it with a mound of earth all but the top opening, then they laid up a concrete block "front" wall and put in a door frame and steel door with no glass. It made a very nice cool and dark place to use for storage of any number of things or as a storm shelter. They put shelves inside for their canned goods etc and voila. They had a safe place for their goodies to hang out but they were easily accessible.

Cool! I saw a man in the same general area as me turn an unfinished boat (you know, one with a cabin/door/windows, that kind of thing) into a root cellar. So. darned. cool. It's been underground for 1-2 years already, and doing splendid. Talk about an almost instant root cellar, without the pesky bricks and such. :D

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Prepper/Survivalist Tips Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page