Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Prepper/Survivalist Tips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Prepper/Survivalist Tips Next Topic
Page: of 6

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  05:15:50 AM  Show Profile
Angie that's a great idea. When I was growing up it was a sin to waste anything. I've since grown very far away from my upbringing and trying to get back to some of the principles I was taught. I feel it's time to get back to the old "waste not, want not" attitudes we use to have.

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  11:43:38 AM  Show Profile
I am working really hard to not "waste." If we don't eat it then it goes to the chickens or the compost. I save all the plastic containers with lids to reuse in the freezer or for lunch containers.
My daughter loves it when they get leftovers or take out from the restaurants that give "free tupperware."

I try very hard to live by the adage of using it up, putting it up, fixing it up, etc. I firmly believe that the greatest "prep" we can do is learn skills. Should things go south... and I am currently reading 'Patriots' which is a bit overwhelming, even for me- who has been a provident living proponent forever, anyway... should things go south- I believe the "currency" of the day will not be gold and silver, it will be skills and talents.

I am currently working towards a master herbalist certification to round out my "healer" skills. I sew, crochet, create, can, build, etc. And what I don't currently know how to do.... I have been amassing a homesteaders library so I can figure it out!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  7:33:58 PM  Show Profile
Yes ma'am, I hear that Angie ! We just keep getting books and researching online and figure it out. Hopefully someday we'll have people with common interests that we can work with as a group. I feel there's nothing we can't do if we put our minds and hearts into it and like you just keep educating ourselves and moving forward. Not living in fear, just thinking ahead for what may come. The more skilled you are the more confident you can be in times of hardship. I'll definitely check into the Patriots book. How exciting becoming an herbalist, if only we had classes near here, oh my gosh I would LOVE that! Good for you!

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

mountain mama
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Marilyn
Divide Co
168 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  05:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Angie you are definitely right about the currency you can not eat gold or silver and it will not keep your family warm and safe. Congratulations for working on a degree. It will be very useful in the future.
All of these discussions are wonderful it is nice to here that there are individuals who still have some thinking capabilities and are willing to learn new things.

Marilyn
Farmgirl #408
Stress relief: go fishing, play in the dirt. go on a road trip, talk to a farmgirl.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  07:56:13 AM  Show Profile
Anita.... Checkout Vintage Remedies. It is an online/correspondence certification program. That is where I am doing my schooling through. If you have questions about it, email and I will fill you in.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2013 :  10:32:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Angie, I've already viewed and bookmarked the website and it looks very promising.. I'm very interested. Talking to DH about it tonight. Extremely valuable knowledge for the times to come.

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

Antb
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

antonia
Rockforf Il
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  7:04:26 PM  Show Profile
This has been a fascinating read. Have any of you read the Firefox books?
"In the late 1960s, Eliot Wigginton and his students created the magazine Foxfire in an effort to record and preserve the traditional folk culture of the Southern Appalachians. This is the original book compilation of Foxfire material which introduces Aunt Arie and her contemporaries and includes log cabin building, hog dressing, snake lore, mountain crafts and food, and "other affairs of plain living."

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SecondChanceCeramics
http://www.etsy.com/shop/AntB

Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  04:55:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Antb,
I had several Foxfire books when they first came out.
I got out of my teens and took on a tradtition life and got rid of
them. Now, I am back on course with my real values and I tried to
replace the books. I have found them, but they are not cheap! So I am still
looking.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Let all that you do, be done in love. I Corinthians 16:14
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  3:59:33 PM  Show Profile
We have a rescue Greythound (that's what we call these dogs). A recent GH magazine arrived all about pet preparedness. IT talked about how Sandy, the wild fires, and tornados affected our pets. Suggestions of how to prepare for their care and feeding during a disaster or having to leave one's home are discussed.

I will read some of the articles and post what is recommended for various situation end of week.

Oh.. one Prepper asked his neighbor what he would do in a disaster since he was not preparing. He simply said he would get a gun and take food and stuff away from his Amish neighbors. Remember New Orleans. People are "less friendly" and seem to forget their values during such times.

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  4:35:34 PM  Show Profile
The foxfire books are great resources--I have 1 book and have read another online. Amazon had some a little while back a few dollars cheaper than ordering from the Foxfire foundation (can't remember if that's exactly right or not, but anyway the group that publishes those books). Pet preparedness is something that you don't hear too much about, but is certainly important. I'd love to read those recommendations when you have time to post them.

People where I work know that I farm and preserve, etc and they are always asking me why I do this--my family has ALWAYS put food and supplies up for hard times, it is just what you do when you have extra you save it (especially when you're poor and can't "afford" to waste anything). I've asked them about preparing for hard times, they just laugh and say they'll come to my house. 1) good luck finding my house (I don't show up on gps, it'll get you close but not quite there) 2) why does anyone think that just because I know you I will automatically take you in and just give you what I've worked and sacrificed for? I would never rob from another but heaven help someone who thinks they'll just come and help themselves to the fruits of my labor!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  02:12:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rachael.. Just try to stay away from Google Earth. If a satelite can read the name tag on your shirt.. then we have much too much "nosy" in our world today.

I am not LDS, but I like the adage (Poorly paraphrased, I'm afraid... "if a man would eat, then he should work"... Too many people want something for nothing these days.. which is why the world economies are on respirators. Maybe us farm girls should have their own country... LOL.... we would show them how to get things done !!

We visit the Rio Grande Valley in Texas each year.. and talk about industrious !! Many people are self employed and do two or three things to earn money. Handymen? Work done around the house by individuals or entrenural companies.. outstanding. I miss it when I get back to Central Texas.

My Mom used to say.. A job well done is it's own reward... howcome I quote my Mom a lot these days. hmmm

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  05:09:55 AM  Show Profile
I love the comments here and all the good sense and good recommendations. I would like to get a dehydrator. Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced
dehydrator for home use? Not a common practice in this area. Also, most
here also seem to have the mindset that if hard times comes, someone else, the gov't or others will take care of my needs. I am also amazed at the low inventory at food stores. Does anyone else notice that in their area?

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Let all that you do, be done in love. I Corinthians 16:14
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  06:54:35 AM  Show Profile
PET OWNERS.. EMERGENCY PREPARATION IDEAS --

1. TAGS ON DOGS/CAT COLLAR with your name and contact phone number. Or on Cat Carrier if Cat doesn't wear a collar MAKE SURE RABIES TAG IS THERE TOO!

2. COLLARS/HARNESS AND LEASHES - Crates -- especially for cats!

3. Muzzles.. Yes, even your sweet Baby can get stressed when frightened. Might never use it, but in close quarters with other dogs.. well

4. MEDICATIONS, PRESCRIPTIONS AND ANY OVER THE COUNTER MEDS YOUR ANIMALS NORMALLY USE

5. RECORDS -- VACCINATION !!! Especially Rabbies. Health history, etc -- store in waterproof PLASTIC bag -- Make sure your dog is vaccinated for KENNEL COUGH..
ANY OTHER IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS YOU CAN THINK OF?

6. FOOD.. pets favorite food (not 72 hours -- more like 2 weeks -- FOR YOU TOO )

7. WATER.. LOTS AND LOTS Think hours in a traffic jam in 100 degree summer heat! Unsanitary conditions, etc.

8. BEDDING.. dog beds, blankets, Coat and/or raincoat for your dog--mine HATES rain and wet.

9. FIRST AID KIT .. think hydrogen peroxide, liquid bandage (small cuts/scrapes), bandage rolls, tapes, latex gloves, saline solution, antibiotic creme-- BASICALLY WHAT YOU MIGHT USE...

10. FAVORITE TOY OR TREAT.. yes.. they will be stress and need a little loving

11. PICTURE OF YOUR DOG WITH YOU.. HAVE SEVERAL YOU CARRY. IF YOU ARE SEPARATED AND HAVE TO RECLAIM YOUR PET.. OR LOOK FOR A LOST DOG/CAT -- IT WILL HELP TO IDENTIFY THEM.

12. CHIP YOUR ANIMAL !!! COST ABOUT $50 -- ANY VET AND MANY ANIMAL SHELTERS CAN SCAN IT.

Other types of pets.. adapt this to fit. Store the BASICS in a way they are easy to grab.. You might only have time to grab BASICS: wallet/purse and Meds, etc, when the Evac People are at the door -- Or less time if you are sheltering from a tornado. Packing your BackPack or Plastic Covered Buckets that you can grab last minute is the way to go.

Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  07:26:37 AM  Show Profile
TYPES OF EMERGENCIES..for pets and you ! Think these through and remember Murphy's Law...

EVACUATE.. consider the following:
-- What to assemble in advance
-- Will you likely be at a shelter?
--- Are their friends/relatives that could board you and your pets?
-- What about motels/ hotels out of the danger zone?
-- Boarding your pet at a safe Kennel or Vet Hospital (you and how many other people???)

BUDDY SYSTEM
-- work with friends and neighbors to make sure someone can help evacuate your pet if you can't
(we go on vacation and get a cousin to visit, feed and pet kitty.) Have Pets EMERGENCY KIT available (and crate) if someone else has to rescue him and keep or have him boarded.

-- ASK YOUR VET MICRO CHIP YOUR PETS.. Maybe your Vet will give a discount if you have several to do.

-- Research LOCAL HUMANE SOCIETIES, ASPCA, ETC. in case you and your pet are separated.. Have phone number of places he might show up.

-- Use "PET INSIDE STICKERS" on your windows.. whether at your home or in your camper.. This lets rescuers know ! - "EVACUATED WITH PETS" sign.. if time permits.. put in your window.

-- VACATION/TRIPS.. what if you are on out of town only to return and find out you cannot enter your neighborhood or community.. What would you do next?

RECENT EVENTS TO CONSIDER...

--STORMS ---Tornadoes, flooding, snow storms - What can happen in your area?
--POWER OUTAGES.. MAYBE DAYS MAYBE WEEKS if you are housebound. How much food for 2 weeks? Four? WATER ?
-- CHEMICAL SPILLS/LEAKS ... trains, trucks, plants -- What is the community plan?
-- WILD FIRES... can happen in a suburban neighborhood too! Time to leave might be very short
-- THE UNTHINKABLE... 911 ? Live near a big city or military base. Are you a target. Will you need to shelter in. Or do you and the other 1 million people want "to get out of Dodge?"

I guess whether you have a pet of not.. The unthinkable, no matter what it may be, needs to be considered. My hubby thinks we'll just be fine and all the ATMs will work, etc.

My Motto: Prepare for the worse and it will never happen. If it does, you're ready."

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  05:13:17 AM  Show Profile
I now keep clotheslines in storage. One came in use yesterday when my clothesline broke. It's just something folks might not think about (considering power could be out if a disaster did strike).

Farmgirl Sister #800

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Our Family Store: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Prepper/Survivalist Tips Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page