Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Members with outstanding swaps list
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Members with outstanding swaps list Next Topic
Page: of 5

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  10:47:15 AM  Show Profile
Good point, Pilar.

:)

And, I think having ground rules to protect other members is more than fair. And if it makes you uncomfortable you don't have to forward it to me! But I think that giving that person ample time, plus making sure you've contacted the person and the hostess is more than fair. And let me reiterate that as the forum expands, unfortunately, there will be these type of things that happen. On all the swap boards I've been a member of people have joined swaps just to dissapear. It's awful, but it happens.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LindaJo
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Linda
Fargo ND
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  10:48:51 AM  Show Profile
i second the comment Pilar. Not even an acknowledgement or thank you-inexcusable.

Art cleans the dust of everyday life from the soul. Picasso
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  10:56:57 AM  Show Profile
This is not really the issue. The issue is not receiving the swap item.
quote:
Originally posted by LindaJo

i second the comment Pilar. Not even an acknowledgement or thank you-inexcusable.

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  10:57:26 AM  Show Profile
I am fairly new to MJF but I have had the privledge to participate in a couple swaps and a barter. I have to say that I have signed up for a swap that I had to cancel since I had problems at home and could not guarantee that I could do it on time. This whole web site is a wonderful thing, all the women, farmgirls that is, all the diversity, all the subjects. It is easy to feel that this can get way out of hand. We have our families, jobs, animals, farmland that in my life will come first. I sign up when I can and try not to get in over my head. I would hope others have the same priorities that I do but in fact they do not. Each person needs to be responsible for themselves and stand by their word, if the hostess can be generous and have a spare swap item to send that is terific. Like so many other things, I make to give and if I get it is a bonus. I do not look for gifts from everyone I just hope for the best. I really think that if the admins of this site wants to do this let them do it between themselves not in public. Good luck to all those involved to find a agreed on resolution to this thread.

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  10:58:26 AM  Show Profile
I didn't say thank you when I got bugs in tea. Is my name on this list?

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  11:02:25 AM  Show Profile
This is a free site on the internet, we are taking risks. Let's try to protect ourselves with a private list that Megan can be in charge of, and send to swap Mistresses, if they want it.
I will let Megan kow if anything gets crazy in a swap I am HOSTING. That way she can have the information to keep her list going.
What do y'all think?

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  11:23:04 AM  Show Profile
I think a private list is a great idea. If someone is willing to be the keeper of the list, then that's really a good solution.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

LindaJo
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Linda
Fargo ND
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  11:46:36 AM  Show Profile
Trish
you seem to have an issue with a couple of my comments. maybe i didn't explain myself very well. what i meant is as a hostess it can be tempting to choose the best swappers for yourself but i don't think it's right. i know alot of the swappers on the site and i know who will send and who sends the best. as a hostess should be always pick those people for my swap partners?
no this isn't about sending or receiving thank you or letting the person know it's arrived. but none the less-the same people who don't send the swap items are often the same people who will not let you know they received your item or say a thank you. did the person who sent you the tea know it had bugs-did she do it on purpose? doesn't she still get a thank you for effort? for meeting the terms of the swap?

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  11:53:12 AM  Show Profile
This would not apply to any "Thank you" that needs to be said. The guidelines for the list are not replying to emails from the swappee or the hostess, and an open swap two weeks after the deadline for the swap.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:12:39 PM  Show Profile
I second the private list idea. As for the thank you's, no one can force another to be grateful or polite but it would be nice if we all could do that. The MIA swapers are the ones who don't respond about receiving my package which does add insult to injury.
I also got bugs in my tea and yes, I said thank you and threw it away.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Megan After reading all the post I am still with you on this. It's no different then teaching our children right from wrong, yes we are adults but some people will continue to take advantage of others if nothing is ever said and sending them an e-mail probably isn't going to work as they will delete it instead of reading it. I am not a mean person but I do think people should be accountable for their actions everywhere not just here. I am in many Yahoo groups that swap and in almost all of them if someone doesn't follow through they are out of the group, can't do that here so it's fair to have a list of slackers.

As for Margos comment about #71s comment meaning more because she was number 71, I have been on the forum for several years and never joined the Sisterhood and don't have a number so am I less important. That comment in itself was disrespectful, so why get upset about a list of slackers?

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:14:35 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to say we are so privileged to "know" you all! It just makes me proud to be a part of a group of women that care so much about each other! I think you all are on the right track to keep things private and not call someone out publicly. You're the best farmgirls I know!

ps. Hi Nini! We miss you!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:21:04 PM  Show Profile
I was also really confused about the # comment. I don't think she ever meant to attach validity with how long you've been a member of the sisterhood-at least I hope not. I've been on the forum long before being a part of the sisterhood!

Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:24:03 PM  Show Profile
I send out couple of swaps and some never reply back to me. I remember who they are but I never say a thing nor send them an email. I just remember.

I do understand emergency or financial situation. But I did wish they had send me an email say thank you I received your package. That's all it takes. An email would had been fine.

I see another way is I give it(swap) as a charity and forget about it. It hurts but I do try not to dwell about it.

I think private list will be a great idea.
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:26:33 PM  Show Profile
HI :) I think this is a good idea. If eBay & Esty can have feedback, and other swap forums, why not MJF swaps ? It would make those who do not follow through, THINK before they sign up for swaps. They will be held accountable among their peers. Also, those who receive items without responding on the thread or by email, would also be accountable. No one is pointing fingers but we are all adults & should take responsibility for our actions. Like Megan points out once you follow through with sending & post receipt of receiving, your name comes off the list. ;)

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:29:40 PM  Show Profile
While we're at it about confusion, Megan, I wanted you to clarify what you meant when you responded to my post--I don't think I addressed anything in #'s, so I was confused by your answers...my statements were more thoughts as opposed to questions, and I've never been late on a swap, nor have I ever had to "report" to the swap mistress or moderator--maybe you didn't mean to, but your words insinuated that I was late on something and that I had communicated this with the coordinator..

I mentioned that it made me feel weird because I'm such a detail oriented person that I feel guilty about things I haven't even done!!!!!

Honestly, this just all seems like common sense to me (and truth be told, I hadn't the slightest idea that swaps are a "thing" on other sites...I don't have any other sites that I belong to) but it just seems like communicating with the person who initially organized the swap is key, and that THAT person should be responsible for making sure that each swap memember recieves satisfaction. I'm sure that's a huge burden, but if you're going to organize it, do it ALLLLLL the way.

Out of curiosity, with the fall kitchen swap, our moderator was fairly new herself, if I recall--what if a swap organizer isn't proactive in making sure everyone received "something"?

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:32:50 PM  Show Profile
What is your definition of best swapper? I got Brenda Peterson in the spoon swap, with her whole 50 posts, and she was awesome! Let's make sure she gets on the best swapper list.
quote:
Originally posted by LindaJo

Trish
you seem to have an issue with a couple of my comments. maybe i didn't explain myself very well. what i meant is as a hostess it can be tempting to choose the best swappers for yourself but i don't think it's right. i know alot of the swappers on the site and i know who will send and who sends the best. as a hostess should be always pick those people for my swap partners?
no this isn't about sending or receiving thank you or letting the person know it's arrived. but none the less-the same people who don't send the swap items are often the same people who will not let you know they received your item or say a thank you. did the person who sent you the tea know it had bugs-did she do it on purpose? doesn't she still get a thank you for effort? for meeting the terms of the swap?

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:37:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by one_dog_per_acre

I would really like to know what CJ thinks.

I think Sissy knows about other swap sites that have swapper ratings, etc.

It's a way of life that's hard to keep, and it's an unbelievable amount of work. But, it's a promise absolutely anybody, anywhere can make and decide to keep, religious or not-a promise to be faithful in the good in each other. Page 19 of my favorite book.

Make cupcakes not war!

There is the option for MaryJane etc. to start a FarmGirls group on Swap-Bot. On Swap-Bot there is a founder for the group (MaryJane), and then "officers" , and then members of the group. There is a rating system for follow-through on the swaps and each member has a profile with likes, dislikes, ratings etc. Then each swap for the group (any officer can create a swap and also acts as the swap hostess, moderator, mediator etc.)has it's own set of requirements to join. Most swaps ban anyone automatically that has unexplained 1's or 3's on their profile (no sends or not to swap requirements). I love the accountability on the site and there are a gazillion other swaps to join in, not just the groups you are in so a chance to bring even more gals into the farmgirl fold maybe :)
NOT trying to say we should go anywhere but MJF for farmgirl swaps, it's just an option with built-in accountability. AND we have amazing swap hostesses here on the forum! I enjoy the sisterhood-ship of the forums but swapping is mostly done elsewhere - it's just this whole another animal that really requires a lot of mediating and moderating on it's own I think to keep it from getting nasty and taking out the fellowship and friendship of it all.
Anyhoo..... Just an option :)

Sissy

"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

Edited by - sissysquilts on Oct 28 2011 11:11:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
I think it's pretty neat that we can have this conversation....sort of the Farmgirl way to "take the bull by the horns" and address things head on. However, I would be sad to see a public list for not following through. I've participated in several swaps and over time I've gotten a better idea of what's expected. The swaps I have participated in have been wonderful, mostly because I've gotten to know some of my sister Farmgirls a little better. Life does sometimes get in the way of good intentions (and we've all been there from time to time) and some of us do a better job with follow-through and communication than others. I would like to see us find a balance between making sure that women who join swaps receive their gifts and making sure that those who don't follow through or communicate don't sign up again until they are current with their commitments. I also hear the frustration that people are expressing about problems with follow-through on the swaps. I would support the idea of a list that is circulated privately among swap hostesses. I do think that by and large people have good intentions and how we respond to this problem says as much about our group as it does about those who default on their swap commitments....no matter which way we go on this. I am in favor of both firm rules without calling people out in public. When it comes to commitments, sending gifts, dealing with lack of follow through, I keep thinking "Do unto others..."

On a slightly different note, I would like to once again thank all of the hostesses from the swaps I've been in. I had a distressing situation to deal with this summer and the swaps (and getting to know other Farmgirls) was such an important part of keeping my spirits up and my hands busy. Thank you for your hard work and generous spirits in hosting such wonderful opportunities.

Warmly,
Pam

Pam Barnes-Palty
Phoenix, AZ
Farmgirl #1075
Happy member of the Southwest Henhouse

Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:42:03 PM  Show Profile

I hear you all loud and clear. I always try to give someone an e-mail that I haven't received their end of the barter----once I didn't follow through because I had too may books in the box and it never made it to that person's home.Thank goodness she didn't mail me her end. Now today I get a barter returned because the person never picked it up at the post office....don't I feel bad...it was a wasted $16.42. Life happens though.
Did 2 huge huge barters with
scholastic books---never got returns....I know these gals would have returned the barters, something happened.Dissappointed but I just hope life gets better for them.
The end point I have to say----I would never withhold and not e-mail them---I certainly would want to be reminded...so if I ever forgot anyone PLEASE let me know.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:45:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nut4fabric

As for Margos comment about #71s comment meaning more because she was number 71, I have been on the forum for several years and never joined the Sisterhood and don't have a number so am I less important. That comment in itself was disrespectful, so why get upset about a list of slackers?

Kathy

perhaps my comment was out of line- i DID apologize afterward....forgive me if you feel that i was being disrespectful--it was not meant that way.

i'm not going to say anything else on this subject......and maybe not on any other for awhile----

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:47:26 PM  Show Profile
Wow- well obviously this topic seems to be a sour spot for alot of people.
Bottom line is...I truly believe that the majority of people sign up for swaps and fulfill their end of the bargain. Then there are the few who intend to comply but something happens- which is fine if you communicate. I think what Megan (walkinoutcattle) was trying to accomplish was to somehow deter the "repeat offenders" who sign up and NEVER carry through from joining any more swaps.
So many comments on this thread make perfectly good sense, and many people have come up with some great ideas.
I personally think the best resolution would be if there were a moderator directly at MaryJanes, whom one could contact if they have been shortchanged in a swap or barter. Then the moderator could try contacting the person who didnt follow through. Then, if there were no response and the person did not fulfill their end of the bargain, they could be privately "banned" from joining future swaps.
I truly do not believe that any of the girls that have been commenting on this thread mean to be hurtful or humiliate anyone. We are all just looking for a valid answer to this problem.
I would hate to see additional "ill will" come out of this discussion, as it seems already that people are "accusing" people of insinuating this or that, and feelings are already starting to get hurt. I am sure that this is not what Megan (walkinoutcatttle) was trying to achieve.
At this point I would pass the torch to Meg (MJ's Daughter) or directly to a moderator so that perhaps a resolution can be had peacefully.
Blessings to all!

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

LindaJo
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Linda
Fargo ND
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:52:55 PM  Show Profile
i like Megan's solution to the problem. it seems she has thought it out and is willing to take responsibility. it is for repeat offenders and they need to be aware of the fact that it can't go on.

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  12:59:56 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I was replying to Nini with the numbered post. :)

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  1:03:27 PM  Show Profile
And I'm willing to take on the responsibility. I emailed Megan at MJF before starting this thread.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Members with outstanding swaps list Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page