Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Productive day... have to share with someone!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Productive day... have to share with someone! Next Topic  

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  10:46:03 PM  Show Profile
I recently made friends with a farmer. He's 80 years old and has about 5-7 acres of farm and a little produce stand. Today I got to go over and mind the farm for him and get to go back tomorrow. I feel like a real "farmer" when I am there helping him out. Digging carrots and beets. Sorting onions. Cleaning the stand. Picking corn. Sorting peppers. Spreading some wood chips and weeding a bit. Hopefully he will be surprised when he gets back in a few days. I am going back tomorrow for another round.

But after my day at the farm.... I came home with a little bit of work...

It's hard to share with people who don't understand how exciting it is to get homemaking things done!

This afternoon and evening's accomplishment.....

2 canners of mixed carrots, onions and celery cooling as I type
5 gallons of grape juice draining
2 dozen cookies
3 loaves of bread
a dehydrator full of zucchini
Part of the evening dishes done because I haven't unloaded the morning load.
Dh's lunch done for tomorrow (the reason for the bread)
And this morning I had roasted a dozen peppers on the stove (first time for that!) So we had a chile relleno casserole for dinner with shredded carrot salad.

Now... reality. Muscle relaxer and tylenol on board and a heating pad calling my name. But I had to share with others who find joy in accomplishing things like this. I won't get to any knitting tonight, but hey... a coma is not a bad thing! lol

What things did you get accomplished today? I'd love to share in your excitement!!!

Do what you love, love what you do.

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  04:11:29 AM  Show Profile
Maybe I should get off the computer. lol
That is a lot of stuff to accomplish.

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  05:38:10 AM  Show Profile
Congrats! That is a great day. I love to have days like that and Ialso agree there really isn't many in my family and friends that would get it either. This weekend was my big accomplishment. I helped my mother-in-law pick apples in her orchard and got rewarded with enough apples to make 7 apple pie fillings which I proceeded to can on Sunday. I also really cleaned out then cleaned up my laundry room and two large storage cupboards. I got rid of a bunch of baby things for two soon to be new moms I know. I cleaned my house then took the time to polish the wood furniture in my living room (which really needed it). I have to run in to town today but hope to make the afternoon just as productive. I feels great. I sadly find it almost embarrassing to tell most of my friends these things because they know me as a veterinarian who works hard professionally and most do get the other side of me. I am proud of you for such a great day and I hope today let's you have another one. Finally great good helping out your neighbor I am sure it means so much to him.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  06:09:49 AM  Show Profile
WOW productive day indeed! I love days like that. :)

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  06:41:46 AM  Show Profile
wonderful day!
i worked at the bank and i went to school....

so i feel like a slacker!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  06:22:06 AM  Show Profile
Angie - what an impressive, productive day !
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  06:27:51 AM  Show Profile
Fabulous day, and you're right - most people don't understand the excitement in getting all those things done! Days like that are awesome!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  07:03:16 AM  Show Profile
emsmommy5 what part of the country do you live in? My garden is cleared off and I'm getting our 10 acres ready for winter here in north Iowa. I'm already missing fresh produce
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  6:27:41 PM  Show Profile
Whoa, Angie, you go girl! Awesome day.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  2:57:02 PM  Show Profile
Angie- you are too cute- what a great day and so productive!! YeeHaw!!
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  3:21:08 PM  Show Profile
I made and froze veggie beef soup yesterday. All that chopping will pay off when the snow is blowing the snow into tall drifts. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  3:51:00 PM  Show Profile
You are so right Angie. At the end of the day we feel like we made the most of it.
Go to Top of Page

Starbright
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Marie
Van Buren AR
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  2:30:59 PM  Show Profile
I feel the same way! I feel so accomplished when I have had a productive day, especially in the homemaking department. I work 2 jobs, some days I am literally at work from 8am until midnight, driving straight from one to the next. But the days I can look back at a fresh batch of jelly on the counter, loaves of homemade bread cooling on mama's old wooden bread board, soup bubbling on the stove, and a clean kitchen are the best!This feeling is never realized by many, and seen as insignificant to others. But we know better :D !

Starbright
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  3:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encouragement and comments. This is my first time back on the computer this week. Been busy canning grape juice, corn, jam and dehydrating peppers and onions. Today I am going to go sit by dh while he watches football and knit something. I am definitely transitioning into the fall/ winter activities of being inside. I am certainly grateful for "seasons" and the canning season is hopefully coming to it's end here in the next week or two.

Oh and Thelma... I live in Western Washington. But the garden's are basically done here too... we had some big frosts and cold temps this past week. Just gleaning the few things we can find.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  08:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Angie, I know exactly how you felt. My Friday was just as busy. I was seriously on my feet all day, started baking and cooking at 7 am and the oven never went off until 7 pm. Baked two types of bread, pumpkin cheesecake, two roasted stuffed pumpkins, apple cider (peeled over 40), squash soup, decorated under the gazebo with straw bales, hung lights, hauled wood.....you get the picture. After the party was over, I did the dishes, showered, took a muscle relaxer and went to bed. Boy, us farmgirls no how to put in a full day. Now that's livin'!

Gail
Farmgirl #486

http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/
http://klamathfallscharmingchicks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  7:08:07 PM  Show Profile
You girls are giving me some inspiration and motivation. What a bunch of busy bees! Thanks for the little push I needed.
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1690 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1690 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  8:45:54 PM  Show Profile
Angie, very impressive. It does feel wonderful to have a busy and accomplished day. Today I weeded in my vegi garden, seeing my acorn squash growing vey nicely and picked several handfuls of cherry tomatoes. Still growing like crazy. Chopped vegies and made a taco soup and cornbread for supper and I sewed for my etsy shop. Then I went to go meet my daughter and grandaughter to go trick or treating in their new subdivision(out in the country.)
Hugs'
Laurie
http://www.etsy.com/people/lauriescott60
Aprons and More

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Productive day... have to share with someone! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page