Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Two pie pumpkins headed my way--pie question!?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Two pie pumpkins headed my way--pie question!? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  07:18:02 AM  Show Profile
I'm getting two organic pie pumpkins this Friday in my CSA delivery and I want to make a pie for Halloween night. I'm only finding recipes that call for "canned" in the measurement of 15 oz.

Having never done this before, how on earth do you make a pumpkin pie from...well, a pumpkin?

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  08:52:58 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,

I cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff. I then place it cut side down in a baking dish and fill with water about 1/2 inch. Roast in oven (I have mine at 375) for about half an hour. When cool, peel the skin, cut into chunks and if you have a food processor puree the flesh. A little time consuming but SO MUCH better!

I just use the same amount of fresh as canned. Do you have a recipe in mind? I have a wonderful Honey-Pumpkin Pie recipe if you would like

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  08:57:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sharon! It certainly sounds doable. There are so many pumpkin pie recipes, but the one I've always held onto (but never made) is the Martha Stewart New England Sugar Pumpkin pie that was in her original cookbook. It has loads of spices, which I like...I swear, the pumpkin pies I eat around here are just....bland.

I'd love to have your recipe, though, since I've got two pie pumpkins coming my way. One for Halloween night and another for just a Wednesday :)

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  09:12:22 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jonni,

I'll post it on a new thread. I do hope you try it, this one has so much flavor the honey is a wonderful compliment to the pumpkin and spices :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Two pie pumpkins headed my way--pie question!? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page