Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pumpkin Fudge Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  11:12:19 AM  Show Profile
I just came across this recipe and except for the marshmallow cream, which I don't like the taste of, this sounds like it would be yummy. I have some canned pumpkin puree, I think I'll go tinker with the recipe a bit! I just adore the taste of pumpkin! How Autumn-y is this??

*Pumpkin Fudge*

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup (5 fl.-oz. can) evaporated milk
2/3 cup pureed pumpkin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon allspice
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) white chocolate chips
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the nuts onto a baking sheet and place in preheated oven 5-7 minutes until fragrant. Shake the baking sheet halfway through baking so the nuts will toast evenly. Remove nuts from oven and set aside to cool completely.
Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with foil letting the foil extend up the two short sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends.
In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, brown sugar, evaporated milk, pumpkin, butter and spice. Bring to a full rolling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring constantly, for 10 to 12 minutes or until candy thermometer reaches 234° to 240º F (soft-ball stage).
Quickly stir in white chocolate chips, marshmallow crème, 3/4 cup walnuts and vanilla extract. Stir vigorously for 1 minute or until morsels are melted. Immediately pour into prepared pan and top with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts. Let stand on wire rack for 2 hours or until completely cooled. Refrigerate tightly covered. To cut, lift from pan; remove foil. Cut into 1-inch pieces.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  11:28:13 AM  Show Profile
i adore fall and pumpkin and spices but cannot have the sugar-would have to substitute sf--wonder what i would use instead of the marshmallow creme?substance/taste etc

interested in your report to us on the recipe without it!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  12:13:11 PM  Show Profile
I have to go shopping before I can start experimenting, but I'm thinking maybe cream cheese instead of the marshmallow cream, and since my hubby is diabetic, I'd have to use a granulated sugar substitute.I saw sugar-free baking chocolates somewhere, I'll have to do a web search for that. It just sounds so yummy, that it's worth working out the substitutions for it!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

andwhathaveya
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Tiffany
Beckley WV
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  8:02:59 PM  Show Profile
That sounds so yummy!

Farmgirl #3468
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  9:09:50 PM  Show Profile
It's very difficult to make fudge sugar free at home. Using just sub (even splenda) will not be the same, it will mess with the consistancy and the taste. Especially this much sugar. You can only use about 1/2 cup of splenda in a recipe before it will start to effect the taste-have bad after taste. I haven't tried it yet, but there is one sugar free fudge recipe out there that calls for cream cheese, I trust the author of the recipe, but haven't tried it yet.

ALAMO FUDGE (Joanna Lund) 12-13-03

2 2/3 cups non fat dry milk powder
½ cup water
½ cup corn starch
1 cup pourable sugar twin or sprinkle sweet or splenda
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 8 oz. pkg. fat free cream cheese
2 tbsps. vanilla extract (correction from ¼ cup, thank you Healthy Exchanges!)
½ cup chopped pecans

Spray 8x12 baking dish with butter flavored cooking spray. In large saucepan, combine milk powder,
water, corn starch, sugar, and chocolate chips. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and the
chocolate chips are melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add cream cheese and vanilla. Mix
well using wire whisk until well blended. Stir in pecans. Spread mixture evenly into dish and refrigerate
for 2 hours. Keep leftovers refrigerated.

I didn't type the above up, and didn't go look up the recipe in the book, I did a google and found it online. This comes from Cooking Healthy Across America by JoAnna lund though, and I do have the book, just too tired to get up and get it to check and make sure this recipe is the correct portions, ingredients etc.

However, for the above pumpkin recipe I may sub the fluff/cream for cream cheese, but personally I wouldn't try to make it up sugar free, doubt you will come up with something you want really. But, that's just my opinion. Some things like this I go ahead and splurge as a diabetic, but portion control and control the rest of my carbs for the day/meal.

Now this one below is my website, another JoAnna Lund recipe, I have made it and to me it was just so-so, if I want real fudge, I wouldn't say this is what I want, if I want something kind of like fudge, but not then this could do. I would say this would probably be the one I would play around with making pumpkin.

http://reviewedrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/06/sour-cream-pecan-fudge.html

Here was my thoughts on the sour cream fudge back when I made it-
Healthy Exchanges October 2002 Newsletter, page 9. This gets 3 stars. It looks like you only get a small amount but they are so rich I could barely finish my serving! If you like maple nut fudge, or any kind of vanilla fudge you will probably like it. I probably wouldn't spray my dish again with cooking spray. I think it would be ok to put down plastic wrap. It was a little greasy where the dish had cooking spray on it. I think it called for the cooking spray so that it wouldn't stick to the dish. I really don't think I would have had a problem with it sticking. But, I also used a Pyrex dish. A metal dish may of had more problems with sticking. I also didn't care for the texture much, it was grainy.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Sep 21 2011 9:13:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  9:21:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh and just one more recipe, while I was looking up the sour cream fudge, I found this recipe too, this one I LOVE and have made numerous (countless really) times. I personally use the oreo cookie crust (it has a little bit of sugar, but really you can't make a pie crust with less carbs even sugar free, and it's more of a carb thing then a "sugar" thing when it comes to diabetes). It is much prettier and has a richer flavor then the keebler "chocolate" crust in my opinion.

http://reviewedrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/06/frost-on-pumpkin-patch-pie.html

My favorite sugar free pumpkin pie that you bake is this one-
oops thought I had it typed up and I don't......ok on my list to get done this week! lol Look out for Pilgrim's pumpkin pie! lol

This recipe below though I made completely up by myself! And I really like it for very high fiber, low carb recipe.
http://reviewedrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/06/pumpkie-pie-bread-pudding.html

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  04:40:31 AM  Show Profile
heather-thanx

i am NOT diabetic-i had gastric bypass surgery and that much sugar would make me wish i were dying.....

so i guess this is one more thing i just won't eat.

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  09:52:29 AM  Show Profile
Well you wouldn't be eating all of that sugar in one sitting. I would just have a small square of it a day. Keeping most of it frozen.

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  3:29:00 PM  Show Profile
ahhhhh...moderation!
haha! nope-one small square probly would lead to two!!!!!
if i could use moderation with food i probly wouldn't have weighed 233# at 5'1" tall!!!!
the original recipe calls for 3 cups of sugar and then the chips and the marshmallow creme then the evaporated milk has sugar in it!!! it spells disaster but sounds so yummo to me!!!!!!!

there is an online store -i'll look but it's so pricey...

oh gosh--moderation--me??????????? naaaaaa
but i know your heart is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  7:50:31 PM  Show Profile
Yeah it's hard, I do understand, I used to weigh 252 and I am only 4'8. But, I lost 100 lbs using the above JoAnna Lund recipes, moderation, and exercise.

One mantra that helped me with moderation was telling myself over and over again when I wanted more then my portion was to say to myself, this is NOT my last meal, I can have more in x hours (say if my snack time was 2 hours away, I can have more in 2 hours), or I can have more tomorrow. This is NOT my last meal. And I would say that every time, and promptly find something else to fill my time. After some months of doing that it became habit to only eat my portion, knowing I could have more later.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  12:05:19 AM  Show Profile
Well, well, well, look what was in today's Hungry Girl email-
http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1277

Pumpkin Fudge Rocky Road brownies? I'm not sure if it's supposed to taste like fudge or brownies. But, I know most of Hungry Girls stuff taste really good. I have tried a lot of her tips, and when I lived in NYC I went to all her parties and all the food served at her parties were recipes from her books and they were GREAT!

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  09:02:46 AM  Show Profile
I've made a similar Pumpkin Fudge recipe but instead of using the white chocolate chips I used butterscotch. And I substituted Baking Spice for the cinnamon, allspice, etc.

Here's the baking spice recipe if anyone wants to check it out:

Baking Spice

6 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon ground allspice
1 Tablespoon dried orange peel
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1)Combine all ingredients together. I have a coffee grinder just for spices so this is what I used.
2)Store in an airtight container.
3)Use this mix in recipes that call for the ingredients above.
4)If a recipe calls for the above spices, add up all of the measurements and use the same amount in your recipe.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  09:12:08 AM  Show Profile
sharon -thx for the recipe!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  09:58:21 AM  Show Profile
My hubby requested a pumpkin cheesecake for thanksgiving and/or Halloween, so I'm off to see if I can find a good recipe for that! I'm real particular about how a cheese cake should taste and favor the authentic more dense style, so this should be a fun adventure!
Meanwhile, I'm going to tinker with that fudge recipe some and see what I can cook up
All of you girls and awesome with your recipes and advice *Hugs* Thank you!!!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:16:53 AM  Show Profile
Annika,

I made this one a couple of years ago and it was SO GOOD! It's from Pioneer Woman. I like a more dense cheesecake too and if you need a recipe for a plain dense cheesecake let me know :)

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/11/caramel-pumpkin-gingersnap-cheesecake-so-there/

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:22:37 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, that sounds SO yummy!
Thank you so much for the recipe! I love ginger and ginger snaps are my favorite cookie, so this is an automatic winner!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  08:31:38 AM  Show Profile
i have to try this

http://www.naturemaiden.com/- Soap & Candle
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ My Blog
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/-Online Thrift Shop

Edited by - naturemaiden on Oct 10 2011 11:37:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

hummingbirdjoy
True Blue Farmgirl

1217 Posts

Linda
Washington State
USA
1217 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  10:56:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting these recipes. I was trying to think of
something different for the upcoming holidays and between the
fudge and the cheesecake, I have the answer.

What I make with my
hands, I give with my heart ....
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  08:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I plan on having a get-together for Halloween the Saturday before and I am going to try the pumpkin fudge. It sounds very yummy. I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2011 :  6:42:18 PM  Show Profile
That pie sounds to die for!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9381 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9381 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  05:41:43 AM  Show Profile
Just bumping this up so others can see these great recipes!

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pumpkin Fudge Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: