Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  1:08:10 PM  Show Profile
I was just thinking about what would make up my favorite kitchen, what it would look like, what's in it and where in the house it is located...

I have a "Dream House" journal that I keep where I paste pictures of decorating ideas I find in magazines...

In the kitchen pages I found: an industrial size cookstove with two XL ovens and six burners; a stone tiled backsplash above the tiles countertops; a large wooden table made from a huge old door; benches instead of chairs at the table; a floor to ceiling bookcase for my very large cookbook collection; Heavy beams across the ceiling, from which are hung pans and hanging baskets for produce; an old farmhouse sink - large enough to fit the big turkey roasting pan; a big window over the sink to let in tons of natural sun light and with a wide window sill for setting some potted herbs; and more...

What would be in your dream house journal on the kitchen page?

My Homesteading Journal
http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal
http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Aug 15 2006 9:52:14 PM

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  12:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh Erin!! You and I sound so much alike in our planning!! I have journals full for all different rooms of our future home and farm! What fun!!!

Your kitchen sounds wonderful!! Can I drop in and cook with you?!? Oh I think this is a wonderful topic!! I LOVE kitchens!! I love the wood beams and baskets of produce and windows!! LOVE windows!!! And of course a cookbook collection...who could do without! I think it is just wonderful!

Now for mine! Ok...

My dream kitchen would be very large with 10 foot high ceilings painted like a blue sky full of big fluffy clouds and a center island with a breakfast bar on one side(the side toward the wood cookstove)that can seat 6. On the end towards the eating table/Living room enterance a built in doll house inside of a glass or decorated cabinet door so you know it is a doll house inside where my daughters and then granddaughters and friends daughters and granddaughters can play as the adults cook. A prep area on the island with a SS sink that has a retractable hose that can reach pots on the wood cookstove and cutting area. And plenty of counter space. All the storage containers and wraps/bags will be in the island so after a meal all the left overs can be placed on the center island, left overs stored or tossed and then turn around and place them in the large sink to wash or place in the dish washer. Also in the island will be a drop in compost bin where you can wipe/scrap scraps into the bin that seals and is odorless and can be easily removed and taken to the big compost pile outside. I want the cabinets to be brite white with green granite counters and some pieces done in old recliamed dark wood. Some cabinets will be frosted glass, some stained glass, and others solid wood. The ones with glass of any kind will have lighting inside so I can illuminate the kitchen with just the soft light of them creating a warm atmosphere and highlighting some neat treasures at the same time. I want a large farmhouse sink with the embossed front and the counters set above the sink so you can wipe the counters right into the sink, no joint or calking to junk up and get yuckie! I also want a good faucet to be able to turn on and of with the back side of your hands for when they are dirty. I also want the facet to be able to move entirely out of the way and high enough you dont have to move it to fill large containers. I would also like a long retractable hose so I can water the plants in the kitchen and for whatever else I may need. On one side of the sink I want a dishwasher that is very good and very quiet raised up to a level so you do not have to bend to load or unload it. A large cook top with at least 6 burners and a built in flat grill for pancakes and sandwiches etc. I also want a pot filling facet right by the cook top so I can fill the big pots with water right there. I want two ovens also raised up so you can see into them and reach in without bending. I want a baking center between the stove and ovens with a garage for my mixer and grain ginder and pasta maker and whatever other machine I need so I can close the door and you do not know they exsist. But when open I can use them right where they are. The counter in this area will be marble and there will be large airtight bins with my baking needs such as sugar, salt, flour, etc I will have mixing bowls measuring cups and spoons, rolling pins, cookie cutters and such all within reach and easy access. There will be enough counter space for two adults to work comfortably side by side. Right above the "machine" garage I want a screened in cupboard to place fresh baked items to cool, like a built in cooling rack. On the other side of the stove top I want my "cooking" center with another set of mixing bowls and measuring devices, and spices/seasonings and salt and mixer, cutting board and knives, etc for all I would need for my stove top cooking. And of course a garage for my blender and other appliences I will need there. The cooking center will have enough counter space for two people to work at the same time as well. Under the stove top will be pull out drawers for all my pots and pans and double boilers etc. And the top drawer will have all the cooking utensils. The refrigerator will be large and will have the fridge on top and a drawer freezer (these keep in the cold air better and thus are more energy efficent). On the left side of the fridge I would like an old fashioned ice box surrounded by heavily insulated walls to help it work to its best ability(past it to the left would be the door to the pantry etc and cornered to that further left would be the door onto the deck). I would like an ice machine on the right side of the fridge under the counter that can produce large quanties of ice as well in a drawer model next to the fridge. I think the order will be (but is flexible to home we end up with) Refrigerator, counter space with storage above and below and ice drawer below, wall ovens with storage above and below, baking center, stove top, cooking center, sink, wall dishwasher with storage above and devided trash drawer below for recycling and trash. Long and big center island. On the other side of center island from the sink etc... there will be three brick or other stone arches. In the middle one I want my large wood cookstove! On either side of the arch I want builtin storage with countertops that high heat will not effect and stoarge above and below for my cast iron cook ware and wood box etc... from the center island on the side toward the woodstove there will be a roll-a-way counter top that can be parked by the wood stove for cooking there and then rolled back under the island to be put away. it will look as if it does not exsist when it is put away. It will have storage under neath and will have power that can be pluged into a floor outlet when needed by the wood cookstove. Above the 3 arches will be a full length 2 high bookshelf full of cookbooks with a rolling lader that goes back and forth. The 2 arches on either side of the wood cookstove will be window seats full of comfy pillows and throws and a teddy or two where people can sit and chat and rest or where I can curl up with a friend for a great chat or with cookbooks to plan my next perfect meal or gathering! These window seats will be at least 6 feet wide. On either far end of the 3 arches to the far left and far right I want floor to ceiling bookcases so the bookcases will go up across and down the 3 arch area of the kitchen! As you face this wall on one end of the arches or the other I will have a desk area with a computer and internet and small printer for recipe card/page printing for all those wonderful recipes my friends and farmgirl pals share with me!And of course for ones I find my self or need to adjust for my vegie family! The side of the room away from the fridge will be the eating area. it will have a full wall of windows and a large wood table from reclimed barn wood that will seat a min. of 12 and max of ? whatever I can fit!! The side closet to the fridge will have the doorway into the pantry, mud/laundry/craft room, steps going down into the root celler, 3/4 bathroom, and butlers pantry that will also pass through to the formal dining room where there will be a table that can seat at least 20, have a fireplace, open onto a deck for formal outdoor dining complete with fire/water pit, bar and lots of seating/serving areas. The wall in the kitchen that houses the wood cookstove will have a deck outside of it and you will be able to access it from a door in the eating area or a door by the fridge/door to the pantry/mudroom area. The part of the deck closest to the eating area will be screened in and have a great big table with benches and some comfy wicker seating. The screened area will end before the first window seat so nothing obstructs the view of the window seats to the great outdoors! The colors will be bright white cabinets, green counters, very light pink paint, dark wood and itricately detailed darkwood door fronts on the fridge and dishwasher and of course the icebox and the cabinets by the massonary arches and wood cookstove. The fabric on the window seats will be white with green, purple, and pink and hints of bright sunshine yellow. This color scheme will flow throughout the kitchen. The flooring will be either a dark hardwood floor from recliamed barn wood with a rubber subflooring so you can stand forever on it, or some sort of rubber type flooring so I can cook forever! That is my dream kitchen and one day when it is all set up, you are all invited for some yummie farm cooking or just a tall glass of lemonaid and a long chat!! Thanks for stopping by my dream kitchen!! Can't wait to stop by yours!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  09:07:24 AM  Show Profile
WOW! You two really have it planned out! I have a "dream" kitch but it isn't that well thought out.

A few things I would like:
*Double wall over
*Island with built in refrigerated drawers
*A commercial style gas range
*one of those things that hangs from the ceiling that you can put pots and pans on
*a HUGE walk in pantry and a chest freezer
* A top fridge bottom freezer
* a built in wine rack (only have wine about 2 time a year but I love the way they look)
*exposed beams on the ceiling where I can hang my herbs to dry!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  09:19:12 AM  Show Profile
My dream kitchen would be my grandma's kitchen but with my countertops I have now. Nothing fancy..just a farmhouse eat-in kitchen with lots of counters. I WOULD have a wonderful Elmira stove though..if we are talking dreams..and a fridge with the freezer on the bottom and hard wood floor.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  08:23:47 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you Aunt Jenny, I will scrimp and save in lots of other areas to have an Elmira stove. I picture it on a brick hearth. That would be my luxury item and the rest can be used or borrowed. I think our kitchens would be very much alike, though, because the other things on your list like a bottom freezer and hardwood floors would be exactly what I imagine, too.

I'm at work, just browsing a bit on break, but had to chime in and now I have to go. Have a wonderful day of blessings.

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  08:52:16 AM  Show Profile
You know what I forgot that I would do in my kitchen if I could do anything is raise the countertops to a normal height. They are so short!! There is no way to raise them without spending a ridiculous amount and the cabinets are old and i like them alot..but if I had a dream kitchen they would have to be taller. I am 5'8" and these were made for 5' tall people at the most.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  09:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
lol Jenny..so sorry... Must be awful when you are cooking but I bet your kids love it! It sounds more their size! Maybe if you put a thick bamboo butcher block top on? I dont know ...would be interesting to see if one could come up with a way to fix that problem and it not cost much, function, and look good....hmmmmm....
Well here is to hoping one day your kitchen looks like your grandmother's with your countertops, higher up!! I so enjoy hearing everyones ideas and dreams!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  09:05:39 AM  Show Profile
Above, when I said my grandma's kitchen with my countertops I meant the formica I put down..not the height for sure..haha.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  2:07:05 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I know you just redid your kitchen somewhat. But, what if you could build something UNDER the cabinets to raise them up? I've seen these drawer things you can put under regular cabinets that I would just love for storing things I don't use very often, but don't want to get rid of.

Okay, as long as we're dreaming, I'll dream big. My dream kitchen would look just like Martha Stewart's new one, flat screen tv and all. Of course, her kitchen is probably bigger than my whole house.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

emma.birdwhistle
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Elizabeth Ann
Ontario
Canada
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  2:25:55 PM  Show Profile
My kitchen wishes include a big copper sink with a hand pump (get me off the grid!), wooden countertops, and a brick bake-oven. I should just move into the nearest living history museum.

- Elizabeth Ann

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  2:36:40 PM  Show Profile
More space. More countertops. More storage. Room for a bigger table. Another sink - one for dishes, one for rinsing/cleaning garden stuff. A "beverage station" - a countertop with outlets for the coffee maker, another small sink, with cabinets above and below with mugs on a shelf, storage for coffees/teas, pitchers, glasses, etc.

Did I mention more storage? A butler's pantry would be nice. More windows. A skylight. A commercial-style gas range would be nice. I would like a oversized fridge with glass doors but hubby thinks I am too messy for that.

Did I mention more storage? I have kitchen stuff in the garage, in the other garage, in the basement, in the library, in the living room. I want to put the appliances (mixer, breadmaker, toaster, food processor, blender) away.

Oh, I almost forgot the electronics- space for a desk/chair to plug in my laptop for searching for online recipes and for sorting coupons and meal planning. Speakers for a stereo/FM/AM/Satellite radio/CD player. A small TV for watching the news in the morning before I go to work.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com, web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Aug 15 2006 2:40:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  10:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Wow! This is so fun! My dream kitchen is actually TWO kitchens but I only mentioned some of what I clipped for my journal in my first post - the rest is under my dream farm posting....

I don't want a modern kitchen with the island or fancy cupboards... In fact, my kitchen won't have a bar/serving area with stools and I won't even have a separate dining room in my house, but I do want a walk-in pantry for food, and a second kitchen area for canning and making pasta and such. In both kitchens, I'll need a ton of shelving or cabinets to accomodate the cooking utensils, appliances and misc. junk I have inherited.

Since my early background was in cooking, I'd really love to have some of those commercial stainless steel cabinets/cooking tables with the shelves underneath. Some of them come with doors so you can hide stuff, but they are super easy to clean and I do love a shiny kitchen... And I would love a huge metal sink to match. And a big Hobart dishwasher, even though they are huge - the hanging sprayer makes rinsing dishes a snap and the flat trays make washing silverware a breeze.

We are pricing a walk-in freezer, but that's a luxury... In the meantime, we do have a tiny chest freezer, and we'll have two normal household refrigerators - one will be JUST for hubby's condiments! (And drinks!)

My Homesteading Journal
http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal
http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Aug 15 2006 10:17:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  10:11:32 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Ann, I am with you!! I think though I would like a porcelain sink with a copper pump, but definitely a fireplace to bake in, one set in at waist height. Plus a wood stove, to cook on and to heat water. All the rest, counters, cabinets would be wood. A huge walk-in pantry, more like another room really. And I would love to get rid of electrical gadgets, but hubbie would die! He gets out the electric beaters when making scrambled eggs - I've given up showing him what a whisk looks like!
Best wishes and keep dreaming,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  10:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Laura, What a neat idea! Jenny, that might work!!

Elizabeth, I LOVE living history places and kitchens!! I want mine to have a lot of old world charm! I also thought about having a huge hearth type fireplace in my summer kitchen so I can cook over an open fire when I need to or want to! And YES!! A handpump is a must have!! I want one on the side of my farmhouse sink so I CAN pump water in when need be! Oh Your dream kitchen will be so fun and sentimental to be in!!

Brenda...LOL...so it will have storage?!? I have a lot of kitchen things too and just love kitchen things so I am with you on the storage! I think a beverage center is a very neat idea! As for viewing, if I do not have a window over my sink, I hope to have a fish tank instead so I can watch the fishys while I work!! How about frosted glass or stained glass then for your fridge!!

I am so loving this thread!! Thanks!!
Hugz!

LOL...I get caught up with the kiddos in the middle of a post, come back and ...surprize!! More posts!! lol

So....
Erin, I read your other post so I know you want two kitchens in your home and I think that is such a neat idea!! And yes those sprayers are great! I have worked in many commercial kitchens. I will be curious to see yours when you are done! I dont think I have ever seen a home with two full kitchens side by side...very neat!

Jayne....a big YES to the walk-in pantry being large! I want mine full of canned goods and sweets(homemade of course) and just overflowing with our harvests to savor all year! And I have never baked in those bake brick ovens, but have heard a lot about them. I think it is neat that several of you want one! I will stop by with jams and preserves and try your baked goodies...K?!?

Hugz to all!
Talitha

Edited by - Buttercup on Aug 15 2006 10:26:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  12:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I have two items in my dream kitchen that I love. Yes I am living with my dream kitchen took a long time to get but I love it. My two favorite things are.
1) A Craftsman tool chest. It sits right next to my stove and houses all my cooking hand tools in a very organized fashion. No more pulling open that drawer of clutter to find just the right spatula or whisk. It hold all my measureing spoons and cups along with spatulas, rubber scrapers, wooden spoons, I'm sure you get the picture. It also matches my black applances.
2)A huge 8ft tall by 4 foot wide by 3 feet deep Antique Armore. We converted it to hold all of my cast iron, stoneware, glass and metal baking and cooking wear. Not my cast alumiun pots and pans but all my other treasures.We put 9 shelves in it and now cast iron fry pans are not stacked but housed in a single row. Yes, I do have 16ft ceilings in my kitchen so that's how we got it to fit.
I also have a huge split level breakfast bar that is 4 inches higher then what is standard to builders but makes it easier to stand around. The preperation top is Formica and the eating area Black Walnut. My kitchen cabinets are taller the standard which means I have to use a stool to reach the top shelf but I store items I only use once in a while up that high. My suggestion when planning your dream kithcen is think through how yu use your kicthen and do not let anyone talk you into do what is in style today unless that's what you want. This is my 4th from scratch kitchen and I have learned that most of the model kitchen are not made to be used but to look at.

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  6:27:56 PM  Show Profile
Erin, two kitchens reminds me of my aunt's house - it was a "century home" and had a huge kitchen with pass-through ceiling high cupboards into a "mud room" although I'm sure they didn't call it that when it was built - it was an unheated room where they hung all their coats and boots and things when they came in from doing chores - and my aunt used it to stage things from the garden before she brought them into the kitchen - the back door opened up from the mudroom and two steps away was the "Summer kitchen" which had a wood stove. My aunt didn't use it but I am sure they used it back in the 1890's when the house was built. It kept the house from heating up in the summer when they were canning or baking!

Everything old is new again!

Your description of the stainless steel makes me remember the restaurant I worked in when I was home from college in the summer. I can just picture the Hobart dishwasher in that summer kitchen!

Talitha, maybe TWO kitchens would solve my storage problem!!!!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com, web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  6:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Betty Jo,
Good advice regarding our kitchens! Thank you!! That is such a unique idea you had for you utensils!! I may have to have a custom drawer set up in my Kitchen to do that! I am BIG on organization! You could have all my cupboards open and it look ok..LOL!! And I LOVE the sound of your old armore! I LOVE antiques! Your kitchen sounds wonderful and I am so happy for you that you are in your dream kitchen!!! How awsome!! I hope to join you in 5 years or less!!

Brenda, yes two kitchens may be just what you need!!! lol then you can have lots of storage X 2 !!

I am so enjoying this thread ...thank you Erin!!!

Go to Top of Page

emma.birdwhistle
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Elizabeth Ann
Ontario
Canada
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  03:54:06 AM  Show Profile
Brenda,
Thank you for bringing summer kitchens to mind. I would love to have one! I'll have to add that to my list of kitchen wishes. While I'm waiting for that to magically happen, I'm hoping to build an outdoor adobe bake-oven later this month with my mother and a friend. I'm very excited about that!

- Elizabeth Ann

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  10:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello, Just had to post some pics of my cabinets and pan storage. Please excuse the lack of decorations as we are just starting to unpack all of our teasures.

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2007 :  1:21:45 PM  Show Profile
I love thinking about my dream kitchen! It would have the following features:

-- Beadboard walls.
-- Large windows on at least two walls, with large windowsills to hold plants.
-- No built-ins! Instead, I'd have a hoosier cabinet, large pine plank farm dining table in the center, and open shelving to display all of my glassware and cookware and such. Only built-in would be a butcher block countertop surround on either side of the porcelain farm sink.
-- Seperate walk-in pantry: red screen door so I can see in and out, a window in the pantry, open shelving, large bins for dry goods and a chest freezer tucked away out of sight.
-- A vintage-look gas range and oven (I really like some of the ones Elmira Stove Works makes).
-- A vintage-look refrigerator.
-- A fireplace with bread oven at one end, with a grouping of arm chairs and a couch. I'd like to follow the colonial home model, and have one large "living space" instead of a seperate kitchen, dining room, living room, etc.
-- Wide plank yellow pine floors.
-- All the fixtures, lamps, etc. would be vintage or reproduction.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Opening in March 2007:
http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2007 :  4:41:56 PM  Show Profile
I tore down walls and spent the entire christmas holiday of 2005 rebuilding my kitchen. It's my dream kitchen, I spent nights awake thinking about what light fixtures and what cabinets. I have a contemporary house and I wanted this kitchen to fit in even though I admire and love all the country kitchens of the world........ The best thing about my kitchen is that when I'm at my island I see all of Alaska, birds on my deck and it makes me feel so happy to be part of this state. I love to bake bread and look out. So it's my dream kitchen! The tile depict all of the wild animals around us and it's very "earthy". Here's to all of our dreams, I finally made mine come true. jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  09:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
BUMP!

Go to Top of Page

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  1:03:49 PM  Show Profile
Betty Jo, what a cool coffee grinder in your photo mounted to the cabinet. Did you purchase it new? Can you tell me something about it?
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  11:45:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow everyone has such good ideas and very nice kitchens. I have been promised a new kitchen this summer DH is a carpenter. Although I have replaced all of the appliances this summer and last, the cabinets are original to the house built in the 40's, and they are not in good shape.
I told DH, I want modern ht & w cabinets... and a lot more counter space. I was going to pick out plain cabinets, and neutral counter tops. We may be selling in the next few years and looking for a one floor living.

Dream kitchen for my forever home.... a wolf stove and a custom Sub Zero.
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  09:14:21 AM  Show Profile
Amanda ~ your dream kitchen sounds very similar to mine! I want something old and primitive looking. No built-ins (or if I did, I love David T. Smith's cupboards) and all the appliances hidden. I did see a neat stove on HGTV. It was gas and had six burners which were shaped like stars - it was so neat! I would love a big pine table as as island and lot of old cupboards to hide my clutter. I would have a pantry with a window and a buttery for all my wooden ware and pottery. Wide pine floors, old tin light fixtures, wooden beams with herbs and baskets hanging fro them and a farmhouse sink.......
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  2:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You all have such wonderful ideas and beautiful kitchens! I am not quite sure of the exact lay out of my perfect kitchen, but it would include a big pantry with workspace inside and lots of windows. I would want a lot of work space and counters that are not too high as I am only 5 feet tall! I would love to have a 6 burner stove and multiple ovens. The other thing that I would like to have is a garden door so I could always step out to the garden to get fresh herbs!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Your Dream Kitchen Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page