True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  03:56:56 AM  Show Profile
Deb,
I have RA, I was diagnosed 10 years ago. It is an auto-immune disease where the immune system attacks the fluid around all the joints. It causes fatigue, pain and makes you feel like you have been hit by a truck every day. I have been on all the medications out there. I had to quit taking methotrexate and steroids because my liver wasn't handling them anymore. I am now on Enbrel. It is an injection I do once a week. I have never felt better! After I was taken off my other meds, I tried to go it alone. I was in so much pain I had to do something. Another thing is low impact excercise helps alot. Swimming and walking are both really good. I am sorry for your sister, it really is an awful thing to have and the "rest of your life" is discouraging. E-mail me is you would like any other information or just to chat.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  5:11:05 PM  Show Profile
thank you so much
she was also on the methotrexate and stopped
trying to go natural but the pain is aweful.
i will copy your respond and tell her see
that she is not alone..
blessings deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2011 :  3:37:08 PM  Show Profile
Not sure how much truth there is to this, but I have heard something about soaking white raisins in gin for a week and then consuming 8 raisins a day. Might have to do your own research on that one......

My husband was recently diagnosed with RA and has been taking the Methyltrexate 1x/week. it makes him feel a little pookey for about a day. Anything with tomato sauce turns his stomach. He gets most of the swelling in his hands/knuckles or wrist. Not so good for a groundsworker-horticulturalist. He most recently had to be placed on Humera too every other week, and lemme tell ya, that stuff 'aint cheap! It works much better though and he doesn't feel pookey the days after the injection either. So far, blood and liver has checked out ok.

I'd have a serious heart to heart talk with your sister and a visit with a rheumatologist. If your sister's RA is the crippling kind, in years to come, she may regret not getting treated. There are two kinds of RA, so maybe she can get by with therapy, exercise and diet for now. Keeping fingers crossed!

My husband's is the crippling kind, and if left untreated, his joints would deterriorate and cripple him to the point of not being able to move any more.

The redness in the joints is what's doing the damage

Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  10:23:39 PM  Show Profile
I have RA and I take methotrexate. I think it is a god send - after 4 years, there is still no damage to the joints of my hands or feet. I was lucky in that I had strong symptoms before any damage started, which forced a diagnosis and treatment. I do not like to take meds unless needed, and am for everything natural. But you have to realize that by the time an autoimmune disease surfaces, a lot of the body has already gone haywire. Treatment isn't so much about alleviating symptoms but preventing a progression of the disease. Those meds, when you find the right mix for you, can stop the disease from causing joint damage that can later disable you and render you useless with fatigue. Personally, I think it's more dangerous to NOT be on meds for my RA than the effects the meds have on me.

OK, so off my soapbox....something I have found that really helps is a cream made with MSM, emu oil, and a mix of both base and essential oils known to treat pain. It works well on my hands, feet, elbows....those joints just under the skin. Also, the pain can make you want to not move at all, but that's the worse thing you can do. Even if it's just movement to loosen the joints, move everything a few times a day. The worse you feel, the more you need to do it. When real bad, water movement can help lower stress to the joints while allowing the right tension for movement. Sounds and feels so contradictive, but it really, really helps. I cannot let my hands get too cold - when they warm up, the pain doesn't go away. I also think that regular drinking of kombucha helps ever so slightly in pain management of any kind.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  10:30:24 AM  Show Profile
We might need to start another culture growing then and give that a try too.

Certainly can't hurt, that's for sure!

Our local health food store had to stop selling it. Apparently somebody without a head for slightly fermented drink,- drank to much and got into a car accident. This was second hand form one of the store workers. I can get it from Earth Fare, but I do have the recipe for starter culture and can save time and $$ on gas.

Phooey I say, but never could drink an entire bottle of the pre made stuff anyway out of fear of it causing a stomach ache.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  10:33:45 AM  Show Profile
OH YES!

And I did jump online and filled out a prescription card so DH would only have to pay 5.00 for his Humera

This was a little after Christmas and we are still waiting for the card. 5.00 is WAY better than the 100.00 for sure!!

So anybody else with RA on this drug, you might want to go online to humera.com and just follow the prompts
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic RA help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page