True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  6:01:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls!

I was trying to follow a recipe for making truffle chocolates so my daughter and I could make them as an after school project tomorrow. I followed the recipe exactly, but instead of getting a nice, firm chocolate cream mixture to roll into balls, I have a chocolate paste. It's thick, but not firm and is the consistency of peanut butter. I tried melting more chocolate into it, but after putting in an entire second bag of chocolate bits, it's not improving. I was wondering if there is anything I can transform this into (and how!). Any ideas?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  3:10:04 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne,

What kind of chocolate did you use? Truffles require a very good, high quality chocolate.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  3:31:34 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne, does the recipe not call for confectioners sugar? That is what you add when making other kinds of fillings that you want to roll in a ball and dip. Just a thought

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  4:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Traditional chocolate truffles are a just a ganache that is cold. A truffle is simply butter, good quality chocolate and cream. Have you chilled the mixture to firm it up? You can't make truffles out of milk chocolate as it is the wrong texture. If I am using chips to make truffles I only use the Ghirdelli double chocolate (60% caco) variety.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  04:52:04 AM  Show Profile
Your chocolate has seized. It got heated to quickly/too long. The only save for it would be to put in vegetable oil. Try a tablespoon and work your way up. Sometimes it takes a log. Next time you heat chocolate, try putting it over a double boiler (I'm betting you heated it in the microwave) or, if you have to use the microwave, decrease the power to 50%.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  06:11:23 AM  Show Profile
I don't know what went wrong. I actually used 70-peercent imported organic spanish chocolate I paid an arm and a leg for, and when I decided to add in more chocolate to see if I could get it to firm up, I used the Ghiardelli 60 percent chips. I also did use a double boiler (I don't own a microwave - I've never been good at managing anything in them, so I tossed ours out when we moved to this house 8 years ago). I have a feeling the recipe called for too much cream in relation to chocolate. It called for 1 1/2 cups of cream to every 5 ounces of chocolate. That seems like too much, doesn't it? Anyone think I can use this as frosting? I hate to throw it away!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - LuckyMommyof5 on Oct 11 2011 06:12:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  4:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Here is the recipe that I use (I make lots of truffles):

16 oz. bittersweet chocolate (I use the Ghiardelli chips), 1/2 c. heavy cream, 6 Tbsp butter, 1 Tbsp vanilla (I use 2 Tbsp Kahluia in mine). Bring cream to simmer in top of double boiler. Remove from heat and add butter and chocolate. Place over simmering water, stir until smooth. Pour into a greased, wax or parchement lined 8 x 8 pan and cool until firm. Shape into balls (I use a small scoop). At this point I freeze the centers so that they are easy to dip. If you don't plan to dip them, roll the balls in nuts or cocoa powder. Store in the fridge. I hope this helps.

I am sure you could use yours as a chocolate glaze. Bake a chocolate cake or cupcakes. Warm the mixture up slightly and then dip the cupcakes in to glaze or place your cake on a rack over a cookie sheet and pour glaze over.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help! Recipe gone wrong! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page