Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 CNN special w/Sanjay Gupda re: heartattacks?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic CNN special w/Sanjay Gupda re: heartattacks? Next Topic  

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  12:40:46 PM  Show Profile
Hubby watched and recorded this special for me to watch as I have heart disease in my family (frankly, what family doesn't have some form of it?) I was very intrigued and have been giving very serious thought since to becoming a vegan. How far I or hubby will go with it has yet to be determined as we want to research the whole idea so we can start slowly and work our way up to the full meal deal.

My Dad has had several strokes and is receiving full time care from my Mom. It is heartbreaking to see him this way and a huge reminder of where I may end up if I don't take care of myself. So it was with great interest that I viewed the program and know that it is something that I ' must' do rather than a 'can I' do thing. Cost is not an issue - you can't put a price tag on life, no?

A few of our concerns of the food are flavoring and availability. And do most farm markets (or growing our own) grow organically or does their growing their produce without any spraying healthy enough?

So, I'm wondering if there are any vegan's our there and what different forms of it there are. What are people's thoughts on the 'no dairy' concept?

I will end by saying that we bought the book mentioned in the program and hope to get started soon. Would love to hear from people!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Edited by - missusprim on Sep 11 2011 12:43:47 PM

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  04:57:19 AM  Show Profile
My family has been trying a basically meat free, or rather a meat reduced on our way to meat free, diet for a week now. I watched some movies on netflix that really changed how I feel about diet and nutrician.

You might want to watch 'Forks Over Knives', 'Food Matters', 'What's On Your Plate?', and I could give you a list of several others. The first one was what reached my husband in a huge way, and the third one reached my 11y/o daughter, getting her to watch the others.

I have found the movies websites to be very helpful, and I have found many vegatarian and vegan websites with tips and tricks sections for seasoning and spicing helpful as well.

We are going to keep dairy and eggs, but are trying to set ourselves up to grow all our own veges and fruit as much as possible. As for now, money is beyond limited with us, but we have cut every expense we possibly could without cutting us completely off from the outside world to put into buying the best food we can.

I am actually rewatching 'Forks Over Knives' as I type this to you! I like to watch them until I have really internalized and understand everything the movies are trying to teach.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  07:41:22 AM  Show Profile
Angela - kudos for you and your family for taking the plunge! Am sure they'll be better off in the long run even though I'm sure there's a big learning curve in getting used to the idea. Do you think you or your family members feel better? Sleep better? Any resistance from anyone over giving up certain things? I'd miss chocolate but know that there is karob chips....... :(

We watched the trailer for Forks Over Knives and am hoping to check it out at the library. We still haven't received the book version and am excited to see what all it entails.

With the dairy angle - the gentleman on CNN seemed to think that milk is perfect for calves but not really intended for human consumption. Any kind of dairy was poo poo'd and again - hubby and I are going to look into the science behind whether omitting that from our diet is feasible as well.

I really do like dairy products so I know that will be a tough one to give up if need be. I know there's soy milk and I do recall trying that many years ago. It must not have been too bad as I don't remember disliking it. I've never tried tofu and not even sure what it's made of but if it's allowable I do know that it can take the form of just about anything in many dishes.

We did grow a big garden this year but dropped the ball on canning. We had good intentions but didn't too much with it. I really envy and admire people who can freeze and can all their produce.

I am excited to say that while listening to my hubby retell what we watched on CNN to people makes it clear that he really took to heart and really listened to all that was said. More so than I did even though I am the one with worse medical history than he has.

As far as meat is concerned.....I have a soft spot for animals so I could easily remove that from my diet in a heart beat. Hubby not so much as he seems to think that fish might be something we can still eat.

I have to say that it'd be pretty cool to enter into a grocery store and only have to visit the produce department for our consumables!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  11:55:38 AM  Show Profile
We are gonna keep fish, but only what we catch from clean sources. My hubby also wants a milk cow so we can have completely clean, pure milk and dairy products. He really liked the fresh, unprocessed milk we got from my aunt for a few years and it didn't upset our oldest DD tummy like store bought does. We also want chickens for fresh eggs, cause the just taste better!

We have noticed a little more energy lately. The kids seem less fussy, too. Just last night our 2y/o didn't get to bed on time because we were cleaning the room, and she is usually a demon if she doesn't get to sleep, but she was only fussy and pouty. It was a difference in her!

I have noticed less tummy troubles for me and the girls. They usually come to me about any ills, so it's pretty easy to track with them.

We aren't into the diet very far yet, but we are seeing little differences, so we are gonna run the full course with it.

Tonight is chili beans and griller patties.

By the way, tofu is made of soy. You can get soy meats as well as milks. Griller patties are soy burgers from the freezer section.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  12:12:51 PM  Show Profile
We watched Forks over Knives and bought the book (it has a lot of recipes). I have high cholesterol and some other things. I also am lactose intolerant. So I have been off milk for a while. I have just took meat out, all dairy and oils. So far so good.
Now that said I am not opposed to eating meat every once in a while (just because I like it). But at this point I feel so good and have a ton of energy that eating meat is not something I want to do.
Now for clean veggies and dirty veggies (and fruit) go to http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/list/ for the list. This has helped me with which foods I should buy organic and which ones are "OK" not too.
I hope you find what you are looking for. Whatever you do, I am sure you will do what is right for you family. Try not to get overwhelmed start off slow. Take Care!

Happy it is, indeed, for me that my heart is capable of feeling the same simple and innocent pleasure as the peasant whose table is covered with food of his own rearing, and who not only enjoys his meal, but remembers with delight the happy days and sunny mornings when he planted it, the soft evenings when he watered it, and the pleasure he experienced in watching it’s daily growth.

J.W. von Goethe (the Sorrows of Werther)

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  4:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Got the book yesterday in the mail. Looks like some good recipes in it, too.

I read out loud to my hubby the animal cruelty that they must endure. I think a lot of it he was unaware of. Being an animal lover as I am - I hope it opens his eyes and gives him pause the next time he wants a good burger. However he has stated a few times that an occasional steak might be on the menu.

I love salad and I know it will be a big staple but disheartened that oils are a big no no. BUT, I read where there are oil free salad dressing as an alternative so all was not lost!

Thanks for the website reference as to which veggies are okay and which are not, Tina. I am so glad it all seems to be working for your family and especially the kids who tend to have tummy probs. And I'm not surprised to hear that your DD's behavior might be nutrition related, but only time will tell.

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

prairie
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Anna
Plainfield IL
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  7:35:55 PM  Show Profile
Being a vegan is not as hard as people think. When I tell people I am
a vegan they always ask about protein and do I get enough to eat.

If you like to bake, you still can. I use flaxseed, tofu, or a product called
EnergyG for egg replacement. Semi-sweet chips are vegan, you can also
get white chocolate chips.

Tofurky makes many meat alternative products. You can get
lunch meat, bacon, sausage, pepperoni, the list goes on.

You can get great cheese alternatives, along with sour cream, cream cheese,
and
mayonnaise.

Believe me anything you eat now you still can with all the vegan
products available now days.

The best part, animals are not suffering abuse so we can have a dollar
hamburger, or a cheap bucket of chicken.

Being on a vegan diet will save your life.

Anna, The Vegan Farmgirl #595

Being a vegan saves over 100 animals a year.

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  3:37:37 PM  Show Profile
Well, I now have confirmation that I have ticker probs and a dang good reason to SERIOUSLY change my ways..........

I broke my arm last week and went in for the pre op testing of blood work, EKG, etc. Blood work was fine but they called me back for another EKG as my first was abnormal. Second was 'okay' but they were still concerned of what appears to be some blockage.

So the day of surgery (yesterday) anesthesia doc explained that rather than go the normal anesthesia route they opted to do a block instead for safety reasons because of the EKG results. Glad that DH was there to hear this as I kind of feel he's dragging his heels on the diet change. Now he KNOWS.

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic CNN special w/Sanjay Gupda re: heartattacks? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page