Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Try This
 Smelly Clean up ...without gagging!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Try This: Previous Topic Smelly Clean up ...without gagging!! Next Topic  

Naked on a Mountain Top
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Seana
Durango CO
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2011 :  4:20:12 PM  Show Profile
Our outside deep freezer died and I had to wait to clean it out (due to work sched.) It had been dead over a week, was omitting a horrific odor and my husband recommended a paper painters mask and Mentholatum ointment. (He said it's a coroner's trick.) I slathered the ointment all around my mouth and nose then pressed the mask on to get a good seal. Worked like a charm!! I smelled nothing but mint despite all the rancid meat!! The worst part was just trying to wash off the greasy goo in the shower.

Love a hubby with good tricks!!

www.durangodream.blogspot.com

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2011 :  4:32:34 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like me when we butcher chickens--peppermint oil in a painter's mask. Mentholatum would be great--good idea!

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  11:13:13 AM  Show Profile
We had a freezer 'die' one year. It was so much fun running back and forth, raking out the contents and then running off so we didn't vomit. Great fun.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  11:34:22 AM  Show Profile
Ewww...been there before. I used lots of tigers balm, mixed with Vaseline and a painters mask and that worked well for me. Two years ago, we had a stray cat crawl under our house and die and no one noticed for days until the smell started... I had to belly crawl under with gloves and a garbage sack...it was the nastiest!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  4:37:35 PM  Show Profile
Had that happen to us twice at our camp. To get the smell out we were told to put a pot of charcoal in a pan with vanilla extract on top. It did help with the order after we got all the stuff out. but, Annika, it was gag, gag, gag. OMGoodness the smell was beyond awful.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  5:57:25 PM  Show Profile
Been there done that.My husband help-standing 20 feet away asking if i'm done yet. Oh it was bad, no mask! you all are right. GaaaaaaaaaaaG!

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Smelly Clean up ...without gagging!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page