Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What a modern Amish Farm looks like...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What a modern Amish Farm looks like... Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  10:22:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls, I've been hitting the listings again. I've seen a few Amish farmsteads listed before but I thought I'd share this one for ogling, as it's a good example of the modern amish standard of off the grid living. Enjoy!

http://www.landsofamerica.com/america/index.cfm?Detail=&INV_ID=1021868

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  11:04:57 AM  Show Profile
I wish - I wish !!!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  11:16:42 AM  Show Profile
I wish, I wish, as well!!!

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirlonPark
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Kelda
Des Moines Iowa
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  11:21:32 AM  Show Profile
What a realization! For some reason it never occured to me that they would sell their homes outside their own family/community...I wish, I wish, too!

God Bless & Happy Trails!
Kelda
Farmgirl on Park
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  2:22:34 PM  Show Profile
Exactly what I picture when I think of an Amish homestead! Price seems reasonable but I guess most people wouldn't appreciate no electricity and water to the basement only. They are a prime example of being able to live with less!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  3:36:46 PM  Show Profile
interesting-we have Amish here in our community-
what stuck me tho looking at the main pic of the house is how nice it looks unemcumbered by the electric wires and outlets for gas meters and cable etc!!!!the simplicity of the look! without even thinking of the concept!
jmho

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  3:57:30 PM  Show Profile
I would have like to have seen more of the inside.... the bedroom etc... the table for the kitchen..

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  3:58:33 PM  Show Profile
but 64 acres and 5 bedrooms...oh I do wish too and that is not a bad price for 64 acres and a house....

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  4:35:09 PM  Show Profile
Must have wood cookstove.........

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  5:31:49 PM  Show Profile
I wish too! It's so nice! I quite like it - too bad it wasn't closer to me! (Or in Canada lol).

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  7:26:42 PM  Show Profile
Wow, what a great peek inside and out! Thank you for posting it! So simple and beautiful.....and it must be a lot of hard work, but just lovely.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

ksharp
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Kathee
Mannington WV
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  7:42:22 PM  Show Profile
I agree Wow! That's a lot of house and land for the price. Loved the kitchen stove.

Kathee
"The crazy,dancing,goat lady." - #3462
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  02:51:43 AM  Show Profile
I wish, I wish too!

Also it depends on the ordinance. (sp) I know here where I live, the amish fellow that works with my husband says they can not have electricity in the house, but can on other parts of the farm, for instance he has electric in his barn and that's ok.......he goes and listens to the radio in his barn. hehe. ;o)

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  07:05:48 AM  Show Profile
That's not too far from our neck of the woods, and very close to where my father grew up. It is beautiful country in that part of northern Missouri.

The first thing that crossed my mind looking at the photos was, "those fences could use a little work." But compared to the prices of land and property in that area, THAT is a bargain, even if you decided to spend some money and bring in some utilities....especially indoor plumbing.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  5:01:36 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, ordnungs have the right to set their own rules. The basic idea is that amish refuse to let their lives be dictated by conveniences or modern efficiency, and don't employ any automation that would take away from the environment of community shared labor. The houses and barns are built by the community members. If a house burns down, no one is invited to the rebuilding, they just show up. As far as I know even non Amish neighbors would be welcome at that sort of function.

I've seen many Amish properties come up for sale across Missouri while I've been looking. Some of them are as is, and some actually have electricity put in. Amish builders are well acquainted with electrical wiring oddly enough. Construction is probably their second industry only to farming. Amish young men frequently work in construction during off season for "english" contractors.
There is also a construction company out of Columbia, MO that is owned, operated and staffed by ex amish youth who leave the plain folk for usually religious reasons.

Here is another Amish house (enjoy all the woodwork and the canning in the basement!)
http://www.landsofamerica.com/america/?detail=&inv_id=933770

This one is lovely if you want something small.
http://www.landsofamerica.com/america/?detail=&inv_id=876940
"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Sep 29 2011 5:21:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hidy
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Heidi
Hoffman Estates IL
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  5:12:58 PM  Show Profile
My dream. I love everything Amish...mostly the cooking!
Go to Top of Page

upnorthgirl
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Sharon
St. Germain WI
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  5:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Send upnorthgirl a Yahoo! Message
I love it, thanks for posting! I alway's thought I would like to live in that type of environment, so simple.... Not to be political, but there are times I wonder if we all lived like the Amish, would we have the problems in our communities and nation, that we have today??? Probably not... but at least I can try or at least lead by example....
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  2:54:58 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, but they have their own problems. The view of God and religion is very narrow and they are forbidden from continued education and this is why many young people who choose to leave, do so. They are dependent on englishers for expertise with things like law, real estate and medical care because they can't attend school past 9th grade. The fear is that higher education would lead to "hochmute"- or pride.
Different families and ordnungs have different shunning practices. Sometimes they only shun people who make a commitment to the membership and then change their minds later, and sometimes they shun their youth who never made the commitment but chose an ordinary life.

Go to Top of Page

ksharp
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Kathee
Mannington WV
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  5:00:07 PM  Show Profile
Sighing longingly at the pictures! So, beautiful. When my now fourteen year old son was little he used to tell us "I'm gonna marry an Amish girl. Because I hate make-up and she could bake bread."
We will be taking a trip to Pa.Amish country next week for the Springs Festival. If I lose him there at least I'll know what happened. LOL.
Have a wonderful evening ladies. Thanks for such great pictures to dream of.

Kathee
"The crazy,dancing,goat lady." - #3462
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  05:00:50 AM  Show Profile
Love. This. A Lot. Thanks for posting! It's a nice look inside a REAL Amish house. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  07:27:17 AM  Show Profile
I think it's so cool to see a room with NO clocks, no phones, no computers...it's refreshing. That's a really cool place! I thought it was here in KY for a minute-looks similar to our terrain.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  08:10:53 AM  Show Profile
Megan, That's funny that you would say it looks like Kentucky in that photo, because my father's ancestors who settled in North Missouri moved there from Kentucky! So, they must have felt comfortable making a new home in the same type of terrain that they came from.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  08:09:36 AM  Show Profile
How beautiful!

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  8:04:51 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful. But call me odd, My wish would be to convert the barn into a home. I really love big old barns.
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  5:03:18 PM  Show Profile
Gorgeous! And priced so reasonably... How does one plow snow in the winter sans vehicles... cattle/horse plows?

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  6:45:19 PM  Show Profile
Plow it?? You go by sleigh!! :D

But really, the state/county/city maintains the roads. Amish communities aren't set up like communes. An order chooses an area to settle and everyone just buys available land in that general area. Amish farms are interspersed with modern farms. A good thing too! the next Amish household could be 10 miles away!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What a modern Amish Farm looks like... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page