musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  07:26:25 AM  Show Profile
6 years ago, we moved to our current home. It took us a year to find this place, but we were hoping for a few acres. During that search, we realized, we could afford the house or the acreage, but not both, so we went with the house. For the past 3 years now, we've continued our search and it just isn't happening. We live in a rather expensive area and there is no chance of moving out because of hubby's job.

We live in a perfect home for us, in a great neighborhood, in a wonderful little town, but I just keep on looking and come up with nothing. We really wanted to make this happen while the kids are younger.

How long did it take you to find your perfect (or not so perfect) place?

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com

Edited by - musicmommy on Oct 05 2011 10:37:33 AM

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  08:07:41 AM  Show Profile
Once we decided we wanted land, we were basically stuck in the city for 10 years. Once we were actually able to get land, it took almost a year. Hang in there, Wendy. It will happen. I'll be praying for you!

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  08:13:40 AM  Show Profile
I lived in Tigard, Oregon for about ten years. It was an up and coming neighborhood and found a place on almost one acre. You should see that place now! It has been divided up so there are about five houses on that 0.9 acre. In fact, my house now has a deck on the back that looks directly on the neighbor's sliding glass door. Just too close for me. Sometimes I wish that I had kept that home, but I am content where I am and the lot (in a development) is big enough for me to take care of and the house is small, just slightly over 1000 sq ft. I wish for more, but know I can take care of what I have.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  08:40:49 AM  Show Profile
There's a good reminder in the latest MJF issue about growing where you're planted. It took us a few years to find what we were looking for. Several times we found what we thought was perfect and it all fell apart. Now we dream of moving to another state but at the same time we continue to grow right where we are. Those are future dreams and we have to live in the present most of the time. Keep praying for it and know that you are right where you are supposed to be right now for this time in your life.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blackfell_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Casey
Chandler AZ
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  09:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see blackfell_farmgirl's MSN Messenger address  Send blackfell_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
@ Wendy: I sooooo feel your pain! I live in burbs in Chandler AZ and would give anything to live in the burbs in the northwest, let alone acerage in the northwest. I am very trapped by both hubby's job and my job, but I know I don't have this dream for nothin! Perseverence is everything. I will be prayin for ya and hopin it happens for you soon!

blackfell_farmgirl

HorseCrazy!
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  10:48:18 AM  Show Profile
Hubby and I ditched a sedentary life in an apartment in favor of leasing 10 acres with grass and trees 45 minutes outside of town. Sure the commute is a little longer, and it doesn't rain as much as I'd like it to in AZ, but at least I have my duckies and as much garden as I want while we fix up our credit to buy our dream farm in Missouri and hubby gets the education for his dream job with Arizona's deeply discounted resident tuition and second to none instruction.
I take great comfort in the fact that our life is close to our ideal while we have a specific goal in mind and a plan to reach it. I am lucky in that my landlady is a country girl who love animals (her hubby moved them into a fancier house in a planned development.) She likes the garden improvements I make and loves my farm animals.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  07:58:09 AM  Show Profile
I know how you feel Wendy. We moved into town when the kids were active in school. It seemed lik a good idea. The kids have all grown and the last one is in college. We are looking but just can not seem to find what we want or can afford. So we are blooming were we are planted for now. The lot we have now is good sized, so we are putting in raised beds for gardens. I also found out that there is no rules against chikens in the area. We have some chickens and two ducks. My last child, the one in college, wanted ducks.What I can tell you is that it is not what we want, but we are getting closer. Keep looking. God will provide the right place at the right time
Go to Top of Page

sondrak
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Sondra
Colorado Springs CO
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  10:10:11 PM  Show Profile
Julie, keep your dream alive. Yet at the same time trust the Lord that you will find the place when He feels the timing is right.

When I moved to Colorado, I searched for a year for a place in the country. The Lord kept shutting doors. After a year, I finally decided to buy a charming 1906 home in the downtown area and boarded my horses. A year later, I moved the horses to a different stable. I discovered that the stable had a cute farm house for rent. The rent was about half the amount of my house payment. I was able to lease my downtown house in about a week. Everything just fell into place. So, now I'm making a little bit of money on the rental and I live on an awesome horse farm that I could never ever afford to own and maintain. It has two covered arena's, outdoor arenas, barns, pastures etc. I trust that when the time is right, I'll buy another property but won't be constricted by the commute to and from my current job in the Army.

You can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take the Texas out of the girl.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  11:41:12 AM  Show Profile
I recommend a book called The Backyard Homestead, it's a nice guide on getting the most out of a small parcel of land via garden and small livestock. The back cover boasts that from 1/4 acre you can harvest 1400 eggs, 50 pounds of weat, 60 pounds of fruit, 2000 pounds of veggies, 280 pounds of pork and 75 pounds of nuts. If zoning allows livestock but you don't think your lot does, there are mini dairy and beef cows, smaller breeds of pig, rabbits, goats and mini dairy goats, triple purpose sheep (wool, meat, dairy) and all kind of heritage breeds that are many times more efficient for the small scale farmer than the mainstream counterpart.

Here is the amazon link for the book and similar titles, and it's available new, used, or in kindle format. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+backyard+homestead&sprefix=the+backyard

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Terrielee
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Terrie
Salem OR
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  10:17:09 PM  Show Profile
I feel your pain Wendy! And with the economy such as it is, I'm going to be stuck in the city for a lot longer than I had anticipated.
Jen - I agree, The Backyard Homestead is a great book. I'm learning from it while I wait for my own little farm.
Terrie

FG #3587
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  06:30:56 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
It sounds like we are in the same boat. I couldn't afford both either. The housing/land prices are outrageous in my area. So, here I am, in a small town on Main Street. After almost 5 years, I have decided to make the best of it here. I can't have chickens, but, I do have 3 fruit trees and plan for more projects as time permits. It's a start. Maybe someday that dream property will be attainable. I am keeping my fingers crossed for the both of us. Good Luck!

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain
Go to Top of Page

JessyLynn88
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Jessica
Harwood Texas
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  1:24:36 PM  Show Profile
We are right there with you! The Army blows us where ever it wants, Atleast for the next 3 years. We want to be able to buy land when we get out even if it doesnt have a house with it. We want roughly 10ac + if we can at all manage. My husband is deploying next year and we are really going to buckle down and save as much as we can between now and him getting out in 3 years. My oldest child is about to be 6. I want to get them all away from the city by the time shes 13.

-JessyLynn

Farmgirl Sister #3675
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic I Want One Now! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page