Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic where is your man??? Next Topic
Page: of 2

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  11:00:37 AM  Show Profile
Michele - While many of us have traveling husbands, few of them are in a war zone. Please exend our thanks to him for his service to our country.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  11:30:06 AM  Show Profile
I grew up in a house where my father was gone 9 months out of the year with the horse racing industry. He was generally home for the winter season, December, January, February, and would come home, when he could, from West Virginia, Southwestern Kentucky, Delaware, Arizona, Arkansas, Louisiana...you name it, he worked there. I never really thought much about his being gone all the time because my mother, bless her, was such a great mom. The greatest mom a child could ever ask for. It also never occurred to me how difficult this must have been on her because she never complained. Ever. She worked full time, managed to take me to and from school (2 counties away to better schools), took a late lunch hour to take me to ballet classes everyday and picked me up at 10:00 at night to do it all over again the next day (and the next, and the next...). She also managed to keep the time Daddy was home very special--date nights, and concerts together, dinner out and good time with family and friends. When something broke, she either fixed it herself, or called someone to do it. But gosh, as a kid, it never occurred to me that she might have been lonely, or if she needed an "adult" to talk to. Those were the days of high long distance and no cell phones, so he only called once a week. I'm a grown woman now, with a husband and child, and I get lonely and he's in the house! When Daddy died, I was 19--and true to his nature, he was working away in Arizona, in Tuscon. Mom said she dealt with his death for the longest time as if he was just "away, working." It broke my heart, honestly.

Mom was raised by a single mother--my grandfather was a drunk, and bailed on the family when she was a wee thing, and my Great Grandfather was long dead, so she grew up around strong women, with absolutely no men around, and the traditional roles of women in the 40's and 50's got blurred because of necessity, whether it was taking in wash and ironing to feed the family, or working outside the home in an airplane factory. I was blessed to have my grandmother and great grandmother for a large part of my life and I've never heard them complain about what they had to do.

But, women are the mother's of invention--and necessity. You do what has to be done, when it needs to be done, no matter how tired, no matter how poor, or whether you're feeding 200 head of cattle, or 2 toddlers.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  6:32:49 PM  Show Profile
amen jonni, what a fine post. it is great to be a part of the farm spirit. getting things done when we rather not. today lisa and i took hazel and cripple cow maudie out to pasture. they are jerseys. i traded maudies keep for a year for her calf she will have in spring. so 2 cows out. now i am hoping maddie is sold for beef. then millie will go. i will have 2 jerseys here if penny gets well and my heifers bred back for spring. maudie is a jersey that is knock kneed. i saved her. she is a sweet cow. so this is good for her. getting a crippled cow in a horse trailer was tricky. we did it and were very amazed at ourselves. LOL oh megan so sorry about your father in law. jennifer all the way to the antartica. all you woman make me proud. well i have cow poop all over me. so time to get clean from milking. have a fine night all you amazing woman. lets add some daily stories here of what you are stepping up doing right now. like me loading maudie. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  7:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I love this post! A lot of times I feel like I'm the only one doing this alone. Even when I was married, I was pretty much left to fend for myself and my kids. Now I'm working on putting our world back together and getting us back onto a homestead. Some days I really do miss having a man in my life, but in my long term view of the future I just can't see where one would fit in.

www.muddyprincess.wordpress.com

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  08:56:11 AM  Show Profile
well today i have to say i am thinking we need to rethink our life style. financially i think it is going to stay hard to survive in america. i am honestly thinking of moving into a 5th wheel. papa will have retirement SSI in 14 months. holding up the farm is breaking us. i love what we do. i am just thinking the place has NO value in this market. it would be a walk away deal. maybe it is time to do a new adventure. it would take a year at least to move all our stuff gone sold given away etc.so a lot on my mind today. not bad just thinking things through. i would sure like to be some where warmer in the winter months. 2 nights ago it was 13 then next night 10. brrr way cold. anyway anyone living in a 5th wheel now? i could then go with papa when he does work away. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  07:36:56 AM  Show Profile
i am not wanting to beat a dead horse on this thread. BUT papa now is going to hermiston oregon for work. we need it. well i am missing him big time today. you all are so strong to do this day in and out over and over with out your man. its a little warmer now. that is good. today will be a day of driving i think. i need to pick up my meat still from the butcher. i hope you girls are having a fine day sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  09:24:18 AM  Show Profile
Hang in there Sherrye!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  11:45:00 AM  Show Profile
i am still hanging margaret, LOL going to go get the meat today. probably 700 pounds. yikes. we will see. any way i love this thread. so any plumbing going on girls. my toilet started leaking where it bolts to the tank. took a flash light and a few tries with different wrenches. then i got it. not dripping now. it felt good solving it. happy days to you sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic where is your man??? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page