Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Non-vet on trial for floating horses' teeth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Non-vet on trial for floating horses' teeth Next Topic  

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  08:15:51 AM  Show Profile
We have a local professional who floats horses' teeth in our area. However, she is not a veterinarian, and it looks like she is going on trial for not complying with the MO Veterinary Medical Board. It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. She apparently has received referrals from several veterinarians for her excellent work. However, I think one veterinarian has taken exception to her practice and called her out.

http://www.newspressnow.com/localnews/29286407/detail.html

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  09:39:27 AM  Show Profile
it does not matter how good you are at something, if it requirs a license, and you don't have one...she should have done this on the Q.T., if she truely is that good...my fear would be, if something went wrong, as a example, she slipped, cut a deep cut, could not stop bleeding, cause she had no way to do so, then what, call a real vet in, which could take hours or more, depending on where you live, and in the mean time, your horse is suffering, and the damage is done...just my opinion...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  5:27:06 PM  Show Profile
The question the court appears to be settling, according to the article, is if floating teeth should be something that requires a specialized licensed vet to safely perform. She already seems to have specialized and documented training to do this. The article mentions that what makes her case "new" is that she actually stopped practicing when she was told to and wants to keep her above board business. Most people go "underground" in this situation.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

gracylfreebush
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Gracy
Alvin TX
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  7:23:04 PM  Show Profile

We recently had a similar case like this in Texas. There was a bill introduced to try to make it illegal for them to practice. The vets in Texas got together and spoke to the law makers and said they want these people out there. So in Texas they can still do it. We do have several that work in the vets offices on certain days of the week. If someone was unsure for the reasons listed above by Tina they could choose to see the dentist on the day he/she was working in the vets office. I have had horse teeth floated by Vets a the dentist/floater and find that the quality of work was the same. Our vets were complaining because they were spending so much time doing teeth they were getting behind on other things.

Thoughts are things choose the good ones.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  7:57:39 PM  Show Profile
I need to ask a dumb question but what is teeth floating?

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  8:27:15 PM  Show Profile
Missouri is a weird state when it comes to animals. They tried to put a guy out of business for providing a swimming pool for dogs, but they're the number one puppy mill state. Go figure.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  04:24:30 AM  Show Profile
Beverly, floating is the practice of dentistry in horses. When a horse sees a dentist it's called getting the horse "Floated". :) Many times horses in stalls and groomed pastures don't eat the rocks and naturally occuring aggregate in order to keep their teeth ground down, so the teeth just keep growing, or grow incorrectly, or become decayed due to modified diets, bit injury, etc.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  09:12:16 AM  Show Profile
thank you megan for the info..

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  12:22:43 PM  Show Profile
I read the deposition that the defendant's lawyer made with the Mo Veterinary Board's executive director who sent the cease and desist letter to the defendant. It was very interesting to read. Basically the wording of the regulations state that 'Veterinary medicine is the science of diagnosing, treating, changing, alleviating, rectifying, curing, or preventing any animal disease, deformity, defect, injury, or other physical or mental condition.' So the lawyer went on to inquire about things like hoof trimming, tail docking, nail trimming, castration, and even grooming, to illustrate all of the other animal husbandry activities that take place by hired individuals and are not considered to be required to have a veterinary license. He made a pretty good case. I haven't heard the final outcome yet.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  3:39:24 PM  Show Profile
Well I hope it all works out for that woman,I think it should be up to the horse's owner who they allow to work on thier animals,the guy who does my horse's teeth is brilliant at it but he's just a cowpuncher who took a course in it,he's technically not supposed to administer sedation but all my horses are still standing after five years of him working on them,I'm willing to roll the dice.
It used to be that alot of farriers offered teeth floating services but as both equine dentistry and farrier science has become more sophisticated the two have split and become much more specialized,in any case,times are changing,I hope it all works out alright.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Non-vet on trial for floating horses' teeth Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page