Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What is it??? Next Topic  

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  10:32:12 AM  Show Profile
And what can I do with it? How would I cook it?

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  11:04:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy

Where did you purchase it from? Ask the vegetable seller.

It looks like a chinese-thai round gourd. In our culture we use this as a side vegetable dish.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  12:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy...did you grow it or purchase it? It does look like a green gourd to me rather than a squash.

Looks like something to hollow out and make a Bird House out of. I would let it sit in your kitchen and ripen...then decide what to do with it.

hugs,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2902 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2902 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  1:56:23 PM  Show Profile
I've always called those birdhouse gourds.. More for a craft than eating, but I'm sure you could probably eat it too. Just never have.
Let us know how it tastes if you go that route!!
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  2:15:45 PM  Show Profile
Well I didn't purchase it. My neighbors grew it along our chainlink fence. The other day while I was cutting the grass, the vine fell to the ground on our side. I just left it there. They picked them when they were much smaller. We now only see 2 or 3 more on the vines.
When ever I go out in the back and the wife is out, she quickly runs away. All I do is wave hello. I believe they are Asian Indian. She sometimes wears a sorry (thats not the correct spelling)and covers her head and face and other times she dosen't. She won't talk to me. So I'm not sure if she does not speak english or if she is not allowed. Her husband talks to my husband, but its mostly just hello or good evening.
Then this morning, my daughter went out to toss some old bread in the yard for the birds, she picked it up and left it on the kitchen table. Her thoughts are that its our fence that they are using as a trelles and it was on our property, so she feels it was ok to just being it in.
The skin is very smooth. Almost like a honeydue mellon. But when they were smaller, they were a little fuzzy. I tryed to google it but could not find anything that looked like it. We went to the asin market earlier today, but they did not have any either. I guess I will let it sit for a while and just hope it does not rot.
Annie, If we were to eat it, how do you think I should cook it??

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)

Edited by - khartquilt on Sep 25 2011 2:17:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  4:18:20 PM  Show Profile
I think if you say Asian Indian they might be from Indonesia, Thai or etc. Yes, some asian are quite shy.

I see the brown spot it is meaning it is aging and it will turn to be mushy.

I just google for more information. In Thai it is called: Round Gourd or Nam Taw Luuk Glom...

In our culture our gourd/melon is much much bigger and we have different types.
We cut the top & bottom. Use a peeler and peel the skin (if you say it is fuzzy when it was blooming it is definitely an asian vegetable (it comes in different sizes/shapes...). Before you cut it I will scrub the white part (similar in scrubbing a cucumber?), cut in length wise and if it is thick seeds scoop the seeds out, if it is thin seeds you can cut whatever way you want or cubes (make sure the size is consistent). You can make a soup or side dish it is up to you. If you want a soup you can have any soup base, boil it until it is translucent (usually & depending) how thick it is will be ready to eat within 15-20 minutes, you can add beef, chicken, pork anything.

For side dish: boil, you can saute it with any oil, add some seasoning of your choice and you can eat it or if you want to put the gourd into the frying pan it is good if you add some water to it so it can boil for a moment. Some people like it crunchy vegetable while others like it soft.

Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  05:17:52 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the other girls looks like some type of gourd to me. Don't think I would cook it my self. Unless I was really, really hungry! LOL. I think I would try drying it out.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

monique
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

monique
lepelstraat noord brabant
Netherlands
165 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  05:45:54 AM  Show Profile
I also say that you can hollow it out and make it into a birdhouse. I used to work at a big garden center here and I gave workshops iin making flower arrangements and one time we also did a birthhouse on such a gourd.or you can dry it , still have the seeds in it and make a beautiful painting on it.It can last a lifetime when properly dried.

http://thymeandlavender.blogspot.com

www.wolshopmonique.nl
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  05:55:08 AM  Show Profile
Annie,
Thank you. I will let my daughter know. She is the "cook" and loves to try new and different things. If we like it, I will save the seeds a grow one or two plants myself next year. We are planning on doing more then just a patio garden next year.
Thanks so much for all the information ladies!

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  09:02:10 AM  Show Profile
Personally, I would set it back on the neighbor's side of the fence. They obviously grew it because they wanted it. Yes, they should have said something about sharing the fence, but...

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  12:17:49 PM  Show Profile
You're very welcome Kathy. Its always good to try something out to eat and if you don't like it you can always trash it.
Go to Top of Page

upnorthgirl
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Sharon
St. Germain WI
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  5:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Send upnorthgirl a Yahoo! Message
Very different, please let us know how it tastes.....

Sharon
FG sister 3239
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic What is it??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page