Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Garden still producing...how about yours?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden still producing...how about yours? Next Topic  

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  5:46:06 PM  Show Profile

Fresh from the Garden even means more at the end of the Season.
I am not sure about you...but our grocery stores are charging so
much for fresh produce...even though it is still being harvested
and sold fresh to the grocery stores. I don't want my garden to
quit...it hasn't been great but very tasty non-the-less!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 20 2011 5:47:51 PM

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  5:54:12 PM  Show Profile
My garden is all done for this year, we had frost a few days already, but yes, the stores are just outragous with their prices. Potatoes are over a dollar more now than they were last month, and this is when they are getting the local ones. I miss my veggies, but did get alot of it frozen.

Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  10:08:10 PM  Show Profile
We are valiantly trying to hang onto ours. It's been in the low 40's for the past several nights so it's getting harder and harder but by golly I've still got tomatoes that need to ripen and green beans that need to fill out a bit before I throw in the towel! Probably will put it to bed sometime next week. Sigh...

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  06:15:35 AM  Show Profile
I'm still getting a few green beans, strawberries and tomatoes. Soon it will be time to harvest corn, sunchokes and potatoes, too. Just hoping we don't get rain and frost for a few more weeks so everything can finish ripening. I was awed by prices on corn and tomatoes when I was grocery shopping this weekend. Wow! How can something grown locally possibly cost more than the stuff that gets shipped in from other countries?

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  06:27:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm getting green peppers, cayenne peppers, a few more banana peppers, pie pumpkins, spaghetti squash, and green tomatoes.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  07:20:52 AM  Show Profile
I am getting tomatoes from my greenhouse, carrots, beans, squash, beets and I have a fall crop coming of carrots, beets, lettuces, and radish. Love my garden.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  12:28:59 PM  Show Profile
I have just planted okra, Tomatoes,collards, and Turnips in my fall garden!! I hope I have not waited to late. I usually plant the fall garden the last week of August. I am behind a little so wish me luck!! I still have a few more items to plant. Hum Should I stop or just keep planting ? That is the question. Am I wasteing my time!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  07:19:05 AM  Show Profile
I still have lots of peppers coming on but the tomatoes are about done. I need to pull them up.

Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  12:16:22 PM  Show Profile
Your produce is soooo beautiful PeggyAnn!!

I still have some skinny & long eggplants blooming, round & fat eggplants, roma tomato, grape tomato, some green pepper, roselle leaves, basils & sweet mint is still blooming....its getting slow. This season is good.
Go to Top of Page

upnorthgirl
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Sharon
St. Germain WI
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  5:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Send upnorthgirl a Yahoo! Message
If you can believe it, here in Northern WI, we still have tomato's turning red on the vine!!! Peppers are still producing also. We did have a hard frost 2 weeks ago, but I managed to cover everything I wanted to save. Still have carrots in teh ground to pull, and onions. Does anyone know, can you leave onions in through out the winter? I remember my mom leaving onions in and having bulbs on the tips... I would think they would freeze, just thought I would ask. Thanks:)

Sharon FG sister#3239
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  5:23:31 PM  Show Profile
I think what your mom had may have been something like "Egyptian walking onions" or a perennial onion. My dad grows them and leaves them in the ground year-round. I have never seen anything recommending leaving regular onions in the ground. I even just checked my "Vegetable Gardener's Bible" and the author would mention it if it were possible.

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  6:27:04 PM  Show Profile
I grow onions through the winter here where we often get temps in the mid - lower 20's for a few days here and there. Last year we got down to zero twice and they did just fine. I plant the starts in October and harvest in July or August. Maybe the young plants are hardier than the fully developed onions are?

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  08:33:09 AM  Show Profile
i have so much to harvest, but am waiting for junior to put in an appearance so I can bend over again and pick. Fortunately no frost, so the cabbage, potatoes, carrots, etc can wait. I do get out and try to keep the Zucchini and tomatoes picked. The green beans (only a few plants) got away from me adn the broccoli is starting to as well. This year I put in sweet potatoes too. Haven' even sneaked a single peak at them, though I am tempted. I am trying to give them as much time as possible.

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  05:13:48 AM  Show Profile
We haven't reached freezing yet, but everything has really slowed down and the deer have sped up. Winter must be around the corner because all of a sudden the deer are eating my tomato plants down to a nub. The zucchini wants more heat than we are getting and I don't know what is taking the blackberries so long this year. They still are not ripe!

My neighbor came over yesterday and she took eight grape vines that I didn't want to fool with any more. The roots were really deep! I hope they do well for her, I was so glad that someone wanted them and they would be appreciated!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  08:24:30 AM  Show Profile
I just picked some runner beans and snapped them this morning. They are on the stove cooking right now. I love beans! I havew not dug up my sweet potatoes yet. The vines are so long and the leaves are still green and growing. I did dig up one hill a month ago and got 7 huge taters. I want to wait a little longer to dig the rest up. And I still have beautiful zinnias. And that's about all. I am waiting on my Granny Smith apples to ripen so I can pick them. I won't have much but what I do get I think I will make pies.

And I did plant turnip and collard greens in my cold frame about a month ago. They are almost big enought to pick some. Can hardly wait for those!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Beca
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Becky
Chino Valley Arizona
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  08:56:06 AM  Show Profile
We are getting near freezing temps in a couple days so I need to pick what is left in my raised beds. Transplanted some herbs into pots and they are in the greenhouse now. Soo being that this is the first year doing this: I hope to have some tomatoes, basil, parsley, lemon & limes. Picked one little cucumber and two small zucs the other day that was good. Oh also have green onions and carrots. The marigold flowers and beans took over the raised beds again this year. Next year I will be better at pulling out volunteers. Or heck...just grow marigolds and beans. LOL.
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  3:38:06 PM  Show Profile
Peggyann , My summer garden is over. But my fall garden is doing great. I should be picking okra, Tomatoes, Datyl peppers and greens soon out of my garden. Sometimes I think the fall garden does better than the spring garden! Not as many bugs and weeds.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Lilwren
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Ninon
McKinleyville CA
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  8:24:19 PM  Show Profile
We are getting blueberries, asian pears, apples some carrots, green beans --been fighting the bear (fruit) and the deer (veggies and fruit). Got the gopher's licked and now it's almost time to plant the garlic (the mesh finally gave out last year and they got up and into the planter beds and ate every bulb overnight--dug out and reinforced, so...maybe we'll see the results of our efforts. Now to fence the back garden...which won't stop the bear, but at least keep the deer at bay.

Lil Tweetie
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden still producing...how about yours? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page