Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  2:29:33 PM  Show Profile
lori-my sweetie has depression and anxiety issues-he is on meds and doc actually just upped his depression med -as to the anxiety-it is driving ME nuts with trying to move and he cannot help it-i know he cant and i TRY hard not to lose my temper but golly!
so--you are in my prayers on this!!
btw i realized today that i think he needs B complex stress formula so it's on my list!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  09:02:21 AM  Show Profile
Lori,
I'm just now seeing this. I don't normally come on this thread. I suggest more craft nights and more weiner dog races. But seriously, I think depression runs on my mom's side of the family. I used to be extremely depressed in high school. I went to counseling once a week and was on Prozac for 2 years. Didn't help me worth a darn. One day I just finally realized that life didn't have to be that way. Now I pretty much never get depressed. I get a little anxious when certain situations arise, but that's about it. BUT I know everyone's situation is different. It just helps me relate when I can think of a personal experience or someone elses experiences. I think maybe the 1st step would be to diagnose why you have depression. Do you think it's a chemical imbalance or do you think it has to do with some standpoint of your life or environment? I think a lot of doctors over medicate for depression. Some people physically need the medication, but I think a lot of them don't. Anti-depressants should be used short term until you can get whatever it is that is causing your depression in check, but often times I think people become dependant on them. Maybe take a step back and think to yourself...what is making me depressed?? Are there certain circumstances that are making you feel anxious? When you get that figured out, then you can come up with a game plan.
I love Susan's idea about labeling everything you are grateful for. I think thats a good idea for anyone to do just because we all take so much for granted.
I like the idea of getting out in the fresh air. Josh showed me Bark River Park the other day. Have you ever been there? It has nice walking paths along the river. There was snow on the ground, colder than heck, and the snow was coming down on us too. It was still really nice walking so I can imagine how pretty it is in the nicer weather. Since I live closer, maybe we should start a walking program. Lord knows I need it! I'm not saying that a walk is going to cure your blues, but it could help a bit!
You can talk to me, Lori. Maybe we can figure things out together! :)
Love you!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  3:43:37 PM  Show Profile
Emily-
I have talked to you about this and at craft night we can talk some more! I love that fact that we have gotten so close. You know so much about me and my family! I feel so comfortable talking to you- must be the kindred spirit! And yes we should walk together- should we take Jack with us?
Thanks again for everyones help!!

Love you all,
Lori
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  5:18:22 PM  Show Profile
We did talk about it that one night. I just meant that you can talk to me anytime!! I love that our friendship has grown so close too! It must be the kindred spirit. I still giggle every time I think about that text! lol!! And of course we need to take Jackie boy on our walks! Maybe Natalie too.....if she is being good! :)

Love ya!
Go to Top of Page

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  7:19:14 PM  Show Profile
For the past two years I was having terrible anxiety, what I thought were panic attacks, episodes of feeling like I couldn't get a deep breathe, labored breathing, no energy, couldn't walk very far without being terribly out of breathe, indigestion, heart racing episodes, tingling down my arm. I was at the clinic one or twice a month, where they tried to shove anti-depressants down my throat. I know why they thought I was depressed as I would get in there and break down cause I was so desperate for help. I finally after a year and half filled one of them and an anxiety med, but never took them because I felt like something else was wrong. Boy, was I right..I had severe SLEEP APNEA. My Oxygen levels were dropping to 70% at night. My body was literally crashing from lack of sleep and my lungs were so oxygen deprived causing my lungs to feel like they were on fire all the time. A week after I got my bipap machine, my symptons started going away, 3 months later I feel like a new person. My co-workers, family and friends tell me I am the person I use to be, I am no longer anxious, have not had any more episodes as I described above.

So, sometimes there are other medical issues that could be causing your anxiety. At least that is how it worked out for me.

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´Michelle Farmgirl #85

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Edited by - tangledthreads on Jan 18 2012 7:25:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

osbornefarms
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Leslea
tn
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  8:25:05 PM  Show Profile
Your going to think im crazy but im not. Well i had kinda the same promblem. Life is stressful. I sold my big house moved to a farm and we built a cabin. And live off the grid. Alot of people dont think of how much money they pay out. It stressed me out to pay $400 for electric bill, house paymet,car payment, and so on. When i realized that was what was makeing me so sick was the stress. And i learned a car that is paid for gets you the same place the car that is not paid for. Life is sooooooo much better without that stress. And animal if you just sit and watch them . Not sure what it is but they really help. I have sheep. I laught so hard at them. The lamb are so funny. I cant stop smiling just telling you about them. I found my calling. And it makes me happy. You will find it to. I will be praying for you. All else fells buy a lamb you are bond to laugh your butt off.
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirlie
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Vicki
MA
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  06:38:47 AM  Show Profile
Like many suggested, go to your doctor and have them run a whole blood and hormone profile on you including thyroid. If your doctor is not helpful then find someone who takes you seriously and deals with women's health. Also seek alternative medicines if you are comfortable with that (acupuncture, reiki etc.)
When I start getting down, I find that exercise really helps. A quick walk, taking in the sights, deep breathing. Playing with my horses and doing physical labor (moving hay, shoveling manure etc.)
Its not easy and its all very individual but when you find your special combination, you will feel better.

Take care,
Vicki

"Built Farmgirl Tough"

Farmgirl #3825
Go to Top of Page

amarquardt
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Amy
Lindenhurst Illinois
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  8:19:51 PM  Show Profile
Brewer's yeast might help. It contains the B vitamins and all the amino acids along with selenium and magnesium all which have mood boosting qualities.

Amy
http://www.farnorthfarmgirls.blogspot.com
http://www.marquardthealthcoaching.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tes
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Nancy
New Jersey
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  6:35:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by oregonatural

Lori, Oh dearheart, you are so brave to open up about this. This world has become increasingly difficult as anyone can see from the headlines, so I would suggest you just disengage from that. Spend some time nurturing YOU. So here are my best tips: 1) Don't watch TV. 2) Get off the couch and the internet and walk at LEAST 2 miles a day. This has saved my life. 3)Get out in nature as much as possible. Get your hands dirty. There are things in soil that have been proven to improve our mood. 4)Meditate and pray. 5)Lean on your sisters, that's what we're here for. Talk it out. That always helps. 6)Do something special for YOU every day, even if it's just making yourself a cup of tea and taking a hot bath.
Also, when I got terribly depressed at one point in my life I actually couldn't believe I had things to be grateful for. So I started putting up notes on the things that I loved to remind me of my blessings. Truly I had to start with a note titled :TEAPOT. Then QUILT. PILLOWS. HOT WATER. Pretty soon I had notes all over my house. It was fun and a great reminder that I really was blessed. Try it!
Love you so. Don't forget!
Susan

Off-grid living in a small solar-powered cabin. Please subscribe to my blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
and visit my ETSY shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/OregonNatural?ref=si_shop
THANK YOU from the bottom of my mountain girl heart!

Go to Top of Page

Tes
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Nancy
New Jersey
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  6:41:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I just wanted to say that I loved the reply from oregonatural! These ideas, especially the turning off the TV one, are so important to manage the symptoms of depression and anxiety. I have been on zoloft for years with recently added klonipin, and I feel like I am starting to rattle with the medication that I take. Another good thing to do is to listen to calming music, and when I meditate on God and what He has done for me, that also helps immensly!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  7:54:12 PM  Show Profile
Our bodies are so complicated with hormone up-and-downs and vitamin deficiencies, the best thing is to work with your doctor - blood tests will tell if you are deficient or nearly so.

And I second the ideas of spending time with friends, keeping track of things you are thankful for, and remember the advice from the movie the SOund of Music -

Sunshine, fresh air, exercise..singing

These are critical. I need more of all of these in my life also!!!!! hang in there, hugs to you...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  08:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Fought this myself. My thyroid wasn't functioning at all.

If I get down feelings, I eat black licorice. I buy the vegan kind at World Market. It does something and I have less anxiety and feel better. Even my doctor said that it works.

You may also need seleium and magnisum.

I moved 1400 miles from friends and family. I still have very hard days. I have to make myself go to the park, to crochet/knit night, church, etc. You need to do it.

Good luck.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Tes
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Nancy
New Jersey
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  6:01:36 PM  Show Profile
Get out your Bible ladies! I suffer from severe anxiety and depression for at least 20 years and have been on antidepressants for as long as that and just recently added clonazepam for the anxiety. This disease has its ups and downs, but when I can, I open my Bible to my favorite Psalm 91, followed by psalm 139 and then psalm 139. God knows my brain chemistry since He made me! That in itself is a great comfort. I guess currently I am battling with my only child going off to college. Thank God it isnt far away (about 2 hrs). It will be difficult especially since my relationship with my husband isnt the best. I can only lean on Gods Word and trust that He is in charge of it all. Sometimes I just feel so alone.
Go to Top of Page

Tes
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Nancy
New Jersey
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  11:38:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! Just wanted to make sure that I am doing this posting thing the correct way. Anyhoo, my daughter is set to go off to college the day after tommorrow. All I can say is Thank God for medication!
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  07:47:14 AM  Show Profile
Bumping this to top. This the season for depression, anxiety, and there is new compelling information about adult ADD/ADHD.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3945 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3945 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  09:45:55 AM  Show Profile
My name is Marie and I am mentally ill.

I have always been sensitive to teasing and criticism. As a child, I tended to internalize everything critical anyone said to me even if it was a joke. It helped me academically as I remember everything. But remembering all the jokes, teasing and bullying I went through was very hard on me.

Our family moved every three years, so I was always the new kid. In some places newcomers were not accepted. Our family did not keep to themselves and neither did us kids. We were involved in anything we liked and wanted to be. I, in particular, did not fit in being a "smart" girl with unconventional looks. Actually, I looked just fine and once cruel kids learned my trigger they kept pressing it until I became despondent.

One of the lowest times for me came in my senior year of high school. I was in a small farming town in South Dakota. The rest of my family had moved to Nebraska and I stayed in South Dakota to finish high school. I don't know why I did it. No one there even liked me but I had worked hard for some small status I had. One day was a very bad day for me. As I walked in a deserted hallway, an underclassman called me "cat eye". This was a reference to a time when I was a freshman when I needed a replacement pair of glasses until my new ones arrived. The only pair to be had was a pair of cat's eye frames made of shiny gold and silver metal and scrolled, etched designs. Now I would think they were lovely. Then, they were just embarrassing. When these two guys in my class teased me about them, I took them off, threw them at them and walked away. They returned them to me later with some trepidation. This terrible day when this fellow teased me about something that happened three years ago, I put a big, false smile on my face, walked right up to him and punched him as hard as I could in the stomach and walked away. I didn't know I was capable of such anger and physical violence.

As I grew older my anger grew and it came out of my mouth. Many people were frightened of me because of it. In my 30's I was diagnosed with bipolar affective disorder. My first regimen was two pills for the disorder and two pills to handle the side effects. I felt as if I were a zombie. My affect was so slack and my emotions squeezed into a small box. My anger was still there only now I beat myself up about it because I knew I shouldn't do it but I couldn't stop. Now that I am in my fifties, I found myself using physical and emotional violence to express my anger. My wonderful DH, Lowell, is very strong emotionally and urged me to seek help. There were also other changes happening with pre- and peri- menopause. I was dangerously angry and despondent after being laid off from another job -- even suicidal. I got help from an organization called COPE (Community Outreach for Psychiatric Emergencies). They took me to a temporary residential treatment program.

After 10 days, I came home with an array of coping skills and some appointments. It still took me a few months before I stopped crying when I talked about the disappointments I had with my life. I regularly went to a therapist who is wonderful. Eventually, I felt in control enough to join some groups. The most insightful revelation I had is that those of us with mental illness benefit greatly by speaking with others also afflicted. We know this is a physical illness. We know how this affects our lives. We know what works for us may work for others. We understand each other's ups and downs and can gain comfort from each other.

I wish to declare, right here/right now, that this thread is a safe place for all of us to come with our problems and perplexities, trials and triumphs, our happiness and sadness. This is the place to find others who know what it is to have a mental illness. I volunteer to monitor this spot and provide insight when I can.

I have a book suggestion which I believe can inform all of us about the problem of equitable medical treatment for mental health - A Common Struggle: A Personal Journey Through the Past and Future of Mental Illness and Addiction by Patrick Kennedy. He understands and is so correct about the problem of getting treatment.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.

Edited by - churunga on Dec 19 2015 09:54:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  11:40:47 AM  Show Profile
Marie-
Thank you for sharing and being brave, and YES this thread is a safe place.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3945 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3945 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  12:12:17 PM  Show Profile
I may be starting a new thread which will be more inclusive. Stay tuned.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  4:14:35 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Marie. I might add that most people with depression and other mental illnesses tend to be very sensitive. People say things to us and we internalize them when other people would just shrug it off. The medicines available today are much better than the ones I was on back in the 1980's when I was first diagnosed. I was on Haldol and thorazine--talk about feeling like a zombie. I feel so much better now but still get depressed easily. Luckily, it doesn't last for long and then I feel better. It is a bumpy ride and I've been thrown off more than once. There is a list of famous people who had/have mental illness and I'll try to post it. You will be surprised at some of the names on it.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  4:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Sorry--I don't know how to copy something and paste it.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Depression and Anxiety Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page