sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  8:00:53 PM  Show Profile
well she is still sick. we called the state vet school. spoke with vet. we send her milk in tues. then we start an 8 day regime of infusions and shots. if the test comes back the incurable kind it will be bad for her. she is the most wonderful black face jersey. she is sweet and follows me any where. she is sick in all 4 quarters with what ever this is. if it uncurable her whole life changes. it is not good for her calves to even nurse IF she has it. so help us send thoughts and a prayer. she deserves to be well and be a milk cow. oh my do i love my girls. sadly yet hopeful sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014

Edited by - sherrye on Mar 08 2012 7:26:18 PM

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  8:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye-
Sending prayers your way that everything will be okay.
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  8:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Sending prayers for penelope...hope she gets well and you find some peace with what ever happens..I understand the love of our animals..

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  11:30:17 PM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear this. I hope she gets a good prognosis.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  08:19:23 AM  Show Profile
Poor Penelopy! I just sent a quick prayer up for her. Hope her tests come back favoribly. Let us know.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  11:09:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh I hate it when one of my animals is sick and I don't know what to do to help them. I hope your Penelope gets help from the vet and I hope you are doing okay as you wait.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  6:50:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh no..just saw this!! I will be praying!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  7:23:48 PM  Show Profile
yes this poor girl. what a fine cow she is. she is letting the calf nurse which helps keep her cleaned out well. BUT her fate will be decided next week. so very sad. a lot of tears i have shed as i am now. darn it. i just love her. i so hope pirsue etc will heal her. we draw milk tuesday from all 4 quarters and send to ore. state vet school. they will test for mycoplasma and all other bacterias etc. on her. i am having hazel done also. the vet there SAID... NEVER buy a cow with a sore on her orifice. the bad stuff crawls right in. so we were doomed to have an issue. so she was a good girl tonight. the calf is growing. tues. when we send her milk in we start aggressive treatment. both injections and infusions for 8 days. during this treatment they will let us know if we should continue or not. i had no idea there were mastitus issues that have NO CURE. so hanging in there in limbo for a while. maybe 10 days before we know. so you who can send a little prayer for her and i to be able to overcome this. so she can be a milk cow. solemnly trying to stay hopeful sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  11:06:52 AM  Show Profile
My Dear Sherry - I just read this posting and my heart broke - I am so so very sorry and will be praying for healing... I know this is not what you had hoped for this gal and sometimes we feel like there is no hope but please don't give up yet. Miracles do happen and we will pray for that!!! My heart and soul is with you and know that their are still miracles to be had. Love and Light my Dear One. I am sending also hugs and a big hanky for the tears.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  12:07:52 PM  Show Profile
oh thanks grace. she did really well this morning. she milked out completely and the hard spots seem better. it is called sub-clinical. it shows under stress. it was very bad. i am going to try to be hopeful and open to her getting well. i will see if my friend can help me post a pic if the outcome is good for her. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  4:39:22 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I've been praying for her too. I know God cares for all our animals. Don't give up on her yet. She may just pull through this ok.

Hugs, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13643 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13643 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  06:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sending prayers. It so hard when our animals and/or pets are sick and hurting.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  06:48:22 AM  Show Profile
the waiting is the hard part. we are waiting on meds. then we send her milk in to be tested. we are doing hazel also. thanks for the support girls. it is hard. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  1:24:05 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like there is some improvement. I think there is some sort of liniment with peppermint in it, to increase circulaion and help fight the masitis. My friend used it with her jersey cow, in additon to what the vet gave. You massage the udder with it.
My prayers are with you.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  7:27:42 PM  Show Profile
thanks mary, i have done that. the concern is if it is the mastitus that has no cure then its a bad deal for her. it is a myco-plasma that stays sub-clinical.it has no cure. can even harm calves. so we are waiting to find out what type she has. we know she has strep and staph but now worried about the myco one. if its treatable mastitus we will use pirsue. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  07:23:20 AM  Show Profile
I am still praying for her and will check back in to see where you are on this... It is never easy but stay strong...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  12:10:42 PM  Show Profile
I just saw this post and my heart is breaking for you. I'll be sending up prayers for sure. Big hugs, Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  02:48:20 AM  Show Profile
Praying for sweet Penelope.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  06:29:20 AM  Show Profile
Sherry what kind of meds are they going to put her on? We had a doe that had a really bad strain of mastitis and we used Excenel. Its really pricey but it worked. Hope its good news.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  12:01:03 PM  Show Profile
well howdy girls, i have been crazy upside down busy. still waiting on one cow result. i put penny on pirsue. they wanted 8 days. thats $300.00 dollars. so i did 3 days and now the todays for 3 days then a shot of la-200. her teat is almost healed. the calf drinks it all as of last night. thank goodness. for a while i will just supervise his feedings. wow is he growing. i have hazel on todays. one more dose. i am drying her off. she goes to her owners place. then i stopped milking cripple cow maudie. she is crying out there. it is too hard. i got up at 5 and just stopped a minute. now i feed across road and rinse milk room. still need to do rabbits and empty bins. LOL so not milking maudie or hazel or penny for a few days. then will just have belle and penny to milk. linda can i get that one with out a script? thanks for all the prayers for the girls. i still have no idea who has what. i need to call vet. my email is down. well gotta get done. gonna rain again happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  11:18:35 AM  Show Profile
well howdy once again girls. so both girls came back o.k. on the myco-toxins. penny and hazel have environmental bacterias. staph and strep. penny also has endero-coccus. so the endur. one is resistant to all meds except penicillin/nova-miacin. so thats why she was not getting well. the enduro one has one med only that will kill it. so now we treat AGAIN. but i am so happy to share they are treatable. so we will go from here. we dried maudie and put her to pasture. we are now doing hazel. then just 2 cows to milk. whew. happy days for penny and hazel. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  9:15:11 PM  Show Profile
Hurray, hurray, HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  06:05:42 AM  Show Profile
Sherry you have to get it from a vet it runs about 90 bucks a bottle. Milk withdraw is minimal tho. So glad to hear that their kind of mastitis is curable. Hugs.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  06:48:29 AM  Show Profile
well we have the meds ordered. should be here by friday. fingers crossed. LOL

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  7:28:05 PM  Show Profile
well looks like we are on the mend. i sure hope so. i am doing an 8 day treatment. she seems much better. the calf bumper buddy does a good job of cleaning her out. so in 8 days i can then do the milk discard days and try again with her. i sure hope i kill it this time. she is a good cow. happy days sherrye thanks for all the support through this girls. i sure miss my man. he might be home next week.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  8:12:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sherrye,
Glad to hear that Penelope is on the mend! Now I will send prayers that your man gets home safely and quickly!
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic penelope is well PICS ADDED Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page