Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  04:27:19 AM  Show Profile
Can I take all my left over saop pieces and melt them down and re mold them? these are hand made soaps. not store bought.
NANCY JO

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  08:01:45 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I've done something simmilar in the past but I just cut up all the little pieces put them in a mold and poured new soap around them. Sort of a chuncky color type of soap worked just fine. The soap was smooth just had cunks of colors every where I have a jar a collect them in in my upper bath until I have enough.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Aug 07 2006 08:02:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  1:54:32 PM  Show Profile
I stick the small bar to the new bar and let them dry together.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  3:54:48 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, What I do with my leftover bits is put them in my soap bag! I have crocheted with cotton a bag that has a drawstring closure and when my hand made soaps get small, I just pop them in there. My bag is big enough to use as a washcloth, so I just lather it up and scrub. But if you want to make them into new bars of soap, I guess you could grate them up and "rebatch" them. Usually people do this with newer soap, but old bars should work just as well. They make take a bit more liquid, you'll have to experiment. The easiest way is to just barely cover the grated bits of soap with liquid (you can use water or milk - any kind, cream, buttermilk, goat milk, coconut milk) and let this sit overnight. Then put on a low heat in a water bath, or put in your crock pot (if you have enough) and let it go (don't stir too much or you'll get suds and you don't really want that - if you can stand it, don't stir much at all) until it is a smooth-ish, gloppy mess and then pour into your mold, let it set until it's hard (overnight) and then cut it into bars. You can also google "rebatch soap" and you should get some more input. Have fun and let us know how it goes...Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  4:03:16 PM  Show Profile
THANKS GIRLS, GOOD IDEAS, Just don't want to waste this good soap.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  4:45:58 PM  Show Profile
I do the soap bag thing, too. I have a little mesh bag and I put the little slivers in there, and use them up.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  7:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy,
I make a liquid soap gel with my leftover soap. You just melt them all down with hot water until it is the consistency you want. I make it the thickness of liquid soap and use it in a pump bottle in the bathroom.
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  4:50:10 PM  Show Profile
Nancy,
Could you soften ( not liquify) it on low in a double boiler or the microwave. Then pour into a mold. I bet Susan " thesoapmaven" would know some good ideas. You could ask her,but then you'll have to sahre your ideas with us.:)

Let us know how it goes, Teddie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  6:14:08 PM  Show Profile
Teddie,
Funny you should say that, because I did just that yesterday. Melted it all down in a double boiler, pored it into the mini cupcake papers and it harden up real nice. then I took the paper off, it left cute little cup cake stripes in the soap, then I WRAPED THEM AND PUT A BOW ON THEM AND PUT THEM IN MY SOAP BASKET. TA DA!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  12:59:33 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, They sound good enough to eat!
I have never done soap. It's on my list to learn. However Mom used to have a candy buissness back in the 70's and that was how we melted chocolate to make molded candy. I figured it might work. How smart you are to make "cupcakes" peeling the paper off had to be lots easier than cleaning the soap out of the pans.
teddie
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  2:52:11 PM  Show Profile
I took two terry cloth towels and cut in the shape of a mitten (slightly bigger than actual hand) and sewed together. I added a "pocket" on one side of the mit that is big enough to hold the soap. When you wash just slide the soap into the mit and it suds right up as you scrub! If your concerned about the little pieces you could put the pocket inside the mit so they don't slide away mid-scrub!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  4:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Julie,
Good idea, maybe next time when I get a bunch of leftovers I will do that. Sure would smell good when I got out of the shower.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  3:10:14 PM  Show Profile
I heard you can do the same thing with little bits of deodorant - melt them all together to create a new stick of deodorant.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic LEFT OVER SOAP PIECES? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page