Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Organics vs. commercial Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  09:43:27 AM  Show Profile
I know there was a thread on here recently talking about organics, but I couldn't find it.

I wanted to share a link I found. There is some interesting information on organics vs. conventional and mostly about the farmers.

I've been struggling since moving to western Colorado as it is a big farming community and anything to do with govt regulations (organic certification for one) is viewed with suspicion. Many of the farmers see the sprays the organic farmers use and shake their heads as they too kill beneficial insects and have to be sprayed on more often. This is mentioned in this article and I think he covers it well. I think the most important thing that comes out of this is to support local whether organic or conventional.

Growing up in cities you see farming as big business, out here it is not, a lot smaller and a bit different. What reaches the grocery store is still ridiculous, but I am gaining an understanding for these farmers out here. Do I prefer no chemicals? You bet. Do I understand why they do even minimumly -- yes as I've seen the damage caused by insects. I think it is harder on orchards as you don't get the rotation you can with field crops. Will I still buy organic? Oh yeah, especially milk, but if it is from a local farmer over an import from another country I might just stick to my farmer's market.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg03213846359.html

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/

Edited by - Montrose Girl on Sep 17 2011 09:51:49 AM
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Organics vs. commercial Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page