Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 The working poor...paying it forward!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The working poor...paying it forward! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  06:51:48 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to share what happened last night--for the last couple of weeks, I've seen this man, standing on the corner of the entry to my Kroger store. He holds a sign that reads: "Lost Job: have 2 year old little girl; need size 4 diapers and anything for 2 year old. God Bless." Each time, I catch the green light, so I'm unable to stop.

Driving into Kroger last night, I realized I'd forgotten my purse, so I turned right back around to leave out the exit and saw him again. This time, he had a woman and wee girl with him, same sign.

Since I had to go home, anyway, I ran inside, packed up 4 thick slices of homemade turkey meatloaf, some good wheat bread, about 6-8 homemade oatmeal/butterscotch/walnut cookies, 4 organic apples and 3 organic Plum fruit smushes for the wee girl, my winning $2.00 scratch off lottery ticket (that I bought on a whim!) and my last $5.00 until Thursday, payday. We are seriously broke this week, but we have everything we need--food, bills paid, roof over our head. We have security--so it was a no brainer. And, I recall, the times when my husband has been without a job and I wondered what would happen to us, home cooked food was such a nourishing thing--for heart, stomach AND soul. And we had dear friends who stepped up and said, "we want to help".

Anyway, I gave them the food and the cash, and they were very humbled and gracious. I introduced Violet to their wee girl. The mom said she said she is working, driving a forklift at L'Oreal (a factory nearby) but that she works through a temp agency and has little to no hours. She got some sort of certification she needs and is trying to look for something else. He's a roofer and fell off a roof a few weeks ago, hurting his back and, though he is able, the job is over and there isn't any work for him right now. I asked them if they needed clothing or anything like that and she said, "no, we're fine--we just have nothing for her." I didn't dig into their business very much, so I don't know if they've tried public assistance or what have you, but I do know the SNAP program doesn't cover diapers.

I exchanged cell phone numbers with her and hope that I can put together some seasonally appropriate clothes for their wee girl. With Violet being a similar age and size, it might be difficult, but I think I have some coats and things she can use.

Anyway, just wanted to share--they've been on my mind all night, wondering where they sleep, how they get around. I know there are more out there just like them...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  07:10:40 AM  Show Profile
God bless you for thinking beyond yourself and your family. This is what the country needs right now, people helping people. Everyone is expecting the government to fix everything but so many people get passed by because they are walking the border of have and havenot. Thanks for giving us all a new standard to look up to and we should all look for that person on our corner that we can help if we have anything to help with. Friends of mine always keep a lunchbag or two of non perishable food incase they run into someone that needs it, I thought that was a great idea. We have little but are always helping an older gentleman that "hangs out" at the library since he is homeless.

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  07:14:46 AM  Show Profile
You ROCK, Jonni! That's all I can say! You ROCK!

Imagine the humiliation it must take for that man to sit out there with his sign every day; to know that he cannot provide for his family as his heart wants to do. Imagine the looks he gets. Imagine how very small and insignificant he must feel at times. I can't help thinking what a wonderful country this would be if we took better care of each other. Sometimes this is just such a cold, hard, assuming, judgmental world. You were truly a warm, loving, ray of light for that family, God bless you!

I will keep him, his family AND you in my prayers! Keep up the goodhearted work, girl!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  07:20:39 AM  Show Profile
How kind of you Joni. Thanks for sharing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  08:22:49 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, you've got me all teary eyed this morning. What a beautiful amazing person you are to help people out. :) I know they appreciated your help!

You're right - people need to start helping each other. I remember a few years ago when things started to head south for the economy, my 93 year old great uncle chatting with me. Having lived through the depression, he said "I think you folks are in for a worse time than we had. Back in the days of the depression, folks knew how to help each other. No one knows how to do that anymore."

Way to go Jonni! You rock!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  08:23:43 AM  Show Profile
Nini, that's exactly what i thought--how difficult it must be for him. To go from being the husband, the father, to not being able to provide for his family. That's what struck me is that it didn't say anything about "help pay my way". They were clean. The handwritten sign and our conversation was all about that little girl. I talked with my co-worker about it and she said her brother and sister in law stayed with them for a while a few months ago, to try to find work here because they were having trouble in Baltimore, but they also entered the temp agency and "worked" at L'Oreal. She said for 3 weeks, they'd show up at 5:30 am at the plant, stand around until 6:30 and then were told "there was nothing, go on home". How frustrating for people who WANT to work and devastating for people on the edge of poverty!

Maybe it's because I grew up in a home where one of my parent's, my father, grew up during the depression, but I always remember him helping people. He worked in the horse racing industry, and there's a lot of poor folks on the back side. Because he'd been a jockey, and was so small, still, he took all of his hand me down shoes (size 5), pants and shirts to the track chaplin to pass out. Heck, I even remember him coming home one night with a beat up old pick up truck because he'd loaned our big Chrysler to a jockey and his family from New Mexico--his mother was dying, and he and his wife and 5 kids wouldn't make it to Taos in that beat up old truck in time, so my dad "traded" with him for two weeks so he could settle her affairs. He came up in a time when you just helped people out who needed it. There were plenty of other instances, too.

What struck me was how much she thanked me for being so kind. When I said it was nothing, she said, "some people have been so mean. I just can't let him stand out here and take those ugly words alone." and it just about broke my heart. There is nothing in our lives that is permanent--any one of us could be there some day. I can't begin to imagine how devastating coarse words would be to someone already down on their luck--and it spoke volumes about their relationship to me. That they were truly in this together, for better or for worse.

Keep them in your prayers, and hope that I can scrape up some semblance of an offering to help that pretty little red haired child!

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Sep 13 2011 08:38:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  08:31:03 AM  Show Profile
Jonni you are always such a bright spot in the world, thank you for your kindness to these poor people. So many people are in similar situations and many more are within one paycheck of a disaster.

*Hugs* Thank you!

@ Nini ~ "I can't help thinking what a wonderful country this would be if we took better care of each other." Wow! I have been thinking that same thought for a while now! I'm glad that so many farm girls care and are so giving. It always humbles me to hear of such wonderfully kind acts. I wish the world would stop being so judgmental and start valuing the humanity in others. I'm so glad to know all of your wonderful ladies!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  08:45:14 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Jonni for sharing your heart warming story. You are such a blessing!

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  08:49:06 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, girls, truly, I didn't want or need your kind words, but I appreciate them (blushing)...I know I don't need to remind anyone on this forum, but these people out there, in need--a kind word, a smile--"hey, I've been where you are, brother--it does get better." can be all the good words they hear in a day. Having had some bumps in the road, it's hard to see the forest for the trees, I know. These folks feel and hurt just the same as anybody else, and this "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" society makes me frustrated. We are not all of us stoic, unwounded, perfect as this society seems to feel we should be. Heck, Jesus hung out with prostitutes instead of the people in the temple--he embraced imperfections!
Asking for help isn't weak, asking for help is a person that puts their pride in check and knows that before the grace of God go I.
I guess, just spread that farmgirl love around whenever you can!!!

Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  09:01:53 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,
You and your actions are the embodiment of the Golden Rule. What selflessly did without hesitation, is what is right about this world. If we each did one thing each day to help someone out who has a need, we are truly living the way God intended. And wouldn't it be a better world? Blessings on you and your family.

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  09:40:42 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - Perhaps you could call around to the food pantries in your area to see if they have diapers. Many food pantries do not have a qualification process - their products are free to anyone - and you could let them know or either pick some up for them. Also, many churches keep small food pantries that include diapers (and feminine hygiene products). It blessed my heart to read this.
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  09:41:05 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, you are my hero and my inspiration. We try hard to help others in our community, but now I'm going to look so much closer!

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  10:38:24 AM  Show Profile
You girls make my day and are making me all teary eyed. It just seemed like a no-brainer. Because money was going to be so tight, I stayed home all weekend long with my girl, doing Autumn laundry, washed the duvet, and all the sweaters and cooked up a storm. It's amazing what you find in your freezer and your crisper!!!! So, for once, I had extra. Wish I had a little more extra cash, but that's what I had.

@Susan, I do know of a food pantry/ministry up the street from us, and I was going to tell her about when I spoke with her about the clothes (that I hope I can get together). It's called Lifeline Ministries--I have donated to them before. They are staffed by volunteers from multiple churches, and each "client" meets with an individual at a desk to express their needs. Having witnessed it one day, that can be very difficult for the person asking for help--also, even though I was raised in a church and still follow those principles, I think help is help is help and on one occassion, the client was asked after he mentioned what he needed (his mother died, they lived in a furnished apartment, he was now evicted and into a Sec. 8 efficiency, he needed a bed, a chair, etc.. "And what is your relationship with the Lord, Jesus Christ?" And I almost went over the desk with my bundles of clothes in tow. I feel..."Let's get you what you need right now, at this moment." because that's God working through me--I can fix THIS right now. I don't necessarily need to know your "relationship with the Lord" as a qualifier. I'm sure each volunteer approaches it differently, but witnessing this particular instance made me feel...weird. It was almost like a trick question, lauding the help over this gentleman IF he had the right answer....and so I've been hesitant to send anyone their way. That's sad, but not everyone who is in need has a religious or spiritual affiliation and that shouldn't be in question--we are all of us, valid.

Anyway, that was next on my agenda. Even some girls at work are going to give Kroger giftcards so that they can buy baby supplies or food or whatever they need. Now that I have her contact info, at least I know where I can find her/help her when and if I can.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  12:56:04 PM  Show Profile
Jonni-
What a heartwarming situation. You are the epitomy of a true Farmgirl- how wonderful it was for both them and you that you were willing and able to help them! If only we could all stop and think as clearly as you did... yes it was your last $5 cash until Thursday- but really....what did you need? As you said you have plenty of food in the house etc to get you by until then, so why not offer it to someone truly in need, who is standing there right in front of you? Kudos to you for doing the right thing! Thank you for sharing- and I will keep both your family and this other family in my prayers.
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  3:33:00 PM  Show Profile
The Lord will bless you richly for your kindness. I agree that one of the problems with this world today is folks don't help each other. We've become islands who won't lend a hand. I was taught to never expect help but always give it. In other words, be self sufficient but always lend a helping hand.

I remember hearing stories of the dirty thirties and thinking, something like that will happen in my life time and I want to be ready for it. There are people hurting everywhere. Here at Christmas time there were some families that didn't have work and our church (very small) got a list from the school of size, ages etc of the families in need. Then we went out and bought groceries and clothes, gifts etc and sent them to the school to be given out as needed. This way no one was embarrassed.

I think you handled it very wisely. And I think we should all take your cue and do the same as presented with the opportunity.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  9:40:56 PM  Show Profile
If more people did this sort of thing regularly, our government wouldn't have to fund welfare as much.... churches and neighbors would keep charity private and local. It's the way it should be I think.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  10:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Jonni you are a blessing and an example for all of us. Just reading your posts make me want to be a better person. Thank you for a lesson in love, compassion, generosity and kindness. God Bless you!

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  06:16:16 AM  Show Profile
Jen,

You are exactly right!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  7:25:19 PM  Show Profile
Jonnie I will be in Burlington Sunday, what size is the child, I will be glad to bring some things, also will try to help a little financially, Love you girl

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  7:27:10 PM  Show Profile
Jonnie what size is the child, I will try to bring some things to Burlington unday, also will try to help some financially Love ya Wilma

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  12:55:29 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls--just wanted to provide an update and to thank you so much for your kindness. Some of you have emailed me privately about helping this family. I've been trying to contact them via the cell phone number that she called me with and initially, I got a voicemail (I left a message) but then I never heard back, so I tried to call again and it was a disconnect message. So, they're in the wind. Don't know if this means they had to let the cell phone bill go, or what, but I'm hoping that they have a safe place to land. In the meantime, I've been looking for them again at the Kroger location but haven't seen them there. Weirdly enough, I guess they're on my mind so much I've been dreaming about them since I met them--each night I have a dream that I reach them on the phone and remember that I have 3 pair of shoes, size 5, and "do they fit the wee girl?" So strange how they've really ingrained themselves in my conscience.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  5:28:16 PM  Show Profile
Jonni - thank you - first for being kind to those people and second, for gently "reminding" us. I know farmgirls are all about helping people, but sometimes - every once in a while - you get caught up in your own life and you forget.

There's another post in "Across the Fence" called Struggling Families in America. She posted a blog entry from bravegirlsclub.com - its another huge reminder how fragile life is and how much better it is to love instead of judge.

I agree with Annika - you most definitely are a bright spot in the world. And Nini hit the nail on the head too - you really ROCK. You go girl... Thanks again,

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic The working poor...paying it forward! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page