True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  8:48:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi again,
Thanks for all the new welcomes - I can't believe how lovely everyone here is - such an antidote to the 'modern' world where not many seem to have time for a smile, let alone a leisurely chat. This is becoming like a chat on the porch on a sunny day for me. Thanks so much.
Tasha Tudor - what can we say? I have the four books about her, like Shirley has. I haven't got the cookbook, but it is on my amazon wishlist (yes, Talitha, my wishlist is so long that if I ever actually bought all the books, I would need a whole new room to put them in!) Apparently, the cookbook has more of her painting than the other books have, so I would get it just for that.
CityFarmGirl (didn't have your 'real' name listed), my sister-in-law lives in New York too. Originally an Australian girl, but moved there when she was 18, married an American, now has two little ones. I guess here we take our space for granted, as I don't know how she can have children without a backyard - I would go stir crazy if I couldn't send them out into the yard for a run around to burn off energy. But she loves it, although they may be moving to Seattle soon, which I hear is very rainy. We live in an area that is fairly mild all year round, not too hot in summer. There are plenty here like us, dreaming for the farm one day, so it's great to dream and hope together.
Melanie, I grew up addicted to the Anne of Green Gables series. I love reading and I'm sure I must have read the whole series at least ten times. In fact, I only just re-read them six months ago. I like to re-read the classics often, like Little Women, Jane Eyre, etc. Do they have any Anne related 'tourist'type things there? I did see the cookbook swap - but I wouldn't like to join something like that and then have someone have to post to Australia - it is hugely expensive to post to Australia from there.
Best wishes and keep dreaming,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  9:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Shirley,
Thank you for the good word on the cookbook! It is on my wish list! I am looking forward to getting them sometime soon!

Jayne, if you want to do the swap, I am willing to pay for the shipping and swap with you, but am not sure if it would be too much for you on that end...but I honestly do not mind if you would really like to join in, just let me know! I have a friend here from Australia and she told me what it would cost to post it to you and I am more then happy to do it! You know I have never read the Anne of Green Gables Series.. I love Little House..is it similar? I did see the movie or series or something on TV once and loved it. Could someone please tell me what the books are like...(oh shucks...something else to add to my wish list ) And Jayne I feel like you. I have been so homesick and lonely over here and this site is like having a bunch of friends over for a good chat!
Hugz to All!!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  9:41:33 PM  Show Profile
Yep..you MUST Get the Tasha cookbook..it is just so sweet! I have two other cookbooks that she illustrated that I love too...The Buttery cookbook and the Buttery Almanac ..both are really good. I don't have her Christmas book yet, but have the gardening one, crafts one and the one just about her world and then "Drawn from New England"..love that one!!
My amazon wishlist is something too!! I have a hard time resisting books.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  9:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Jenny... yes if I ever buy all the books I want on there, Amazon will be VERY happy!! My hubbie asked me what I want for my b-day and I told him "BOOKS!" so he is supposed to be getting me a gift certificate for books from Amazon..dunno for how much yet..but you will hear a big whoop from Okinawa when I get them!!
Hugz to All!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  06:30:57 AM  Show Profile
WELCOME MARGIE- I didn't want to let you get lost in the posts!!
I wish you well in your recovery. As Kate and Jenny said- this is such a wonderful, friendly, healing place. You can be sure to find a sympathetic ear and lots of strong shoulders!! As well as quite a few laughs!
By the way ladies, all of this talk about Tasha Tudor reminded me that my oldest son has a signed copy of her "Mother Goose Rhymes" that his Grammy S. gave him on his 2nd birthday!! That was 22 years ago and it is one of the books that survived our house fire.
It's in a box saved for his children. (If he ever meets a girl he likes!!)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  08:26:32 AM  Show Profile
oh..yes.. hi Newheart, from sunny prince edward island , canada....welcome to this wonderfully happy warm place , hugs to you, Mella

mellaisbella "I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  08:35:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jayne....yes, I can get ANYTHING Anne of Green Gables that your little heart desires...just let me know!

mellaisbella "I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  12:31:13 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the Group!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

CityFarmGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Brooklyn NY
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  12:58:14 PM  Show Profile
Mella, I am a huge L.M. Montgomery fan--I read the first few volumes of her journals--actually loved Emily of New Moon more than Anne of Green Gables, although Anne is of course, a classic. Just related to the brooding brunette wo wanted to be an authoress a little more than I did to the chatty redhead that is the splendiferous Anne, but of course I love Anne, too.

The characters in the Little House books were more homesteading types--the ones in the Anne books were not. Little House life was more "prmitive", as they say, the PEI was easier. That's one difference, at least.

Jayne, sorry to hear your sister-in-law might be moving away, although glad she likes it here--I was born and raised in NYC, so I do like it here, even with my farm dreams. I have been to Seattle and it is a lovely city. NY is technically actually about as rainy as Seattle, but in Seattle it is more of a constant misting of rain, whereas in NY you get more sunny days, but when it rains, it really rains.

And my name is Jennifer--but there are so many Jens here and elsewhere I thought it best to stick to CityFarmGirl for now to avoid any confusion!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hi to all from Australia Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page