daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  7:28:53 PM  Show Profile
I would like to say hi to all farmgirls. I have been reading the posts for a couple of weeks now, since I did a search for Tasha Tudor and up popped MaryJanes Farm!! Lucky me!!
I live in Western Australia in a town called Albany. I am dreaming of my farm (have been for 20 years - since I was a little girl and kept lists of the names I would call all my animals.) We have a third of an acre, so I can have my chickens at least and grow some vegies, but I dream of more! I am married, with three darlings - two girls aged 10 and 8 and a boy, nearly 2.
I love all things farmgirl - I think sometimes my husband doesn't quite understand how I can get SO MUCH satisfaction from seeing a row of jars of freshly made jam or how I can actually enjoy shelling peas. I am trying to show my children how the basics of life really work as I feel this will become more and more important in the future, even absolutely necessary.
I would like to live as self sufficiently as possible, which many of you seem to be doing, to differing extents. We only owe a small amount on our house now, so we could buy a farm and have no money owing. But the problem is my husband still doesn't think that it can be done. It doesn't matter how many books or websites I show him about people who are doing it. The other day he said he needs me to 'prove' that it works. I don't suppose any of you girls could drop me a quick line about how you make your farms work for you - I would really appreciate any ideas you have. I think he is just scared to make the plunge (and aren't we all scared to change our life completely).
About me, I LOVE daffodils, such a happy flower. It is nearly spring here and my daffs are blooming. I dream of meadows of daffs. When I first read a Tasha Tudor book, she talked about carrying thousands of daffodil bulbs into her new property in a backpack, and I thought 'that is my kind of lady'. Obviously, I love Tasha Tudor - I have four of the books about her and I look at them constantly. I would love to live just as she does. I do crafts of all sorts - knitting, quilting, cross stitch, embroidery, painting. And I love gardening and cooking.
I better stop now or I will just keep writing. Look forward to reading lots more interesting info in the forums. Thanks to you all for just being farmgirls!!

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  7:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Welcome Jayne!!
I have been to Australia, but never the west side! SO glad you were able to find us and join in! As I am sure you have seen, there are many here who have wonderful places and offer up so much knowledge, and then there are those of us who arre dreaming toward our place that ask a million questions and offer friendship and other tips in kind! It is a wonderful place full of friendship and fun! And I think you will fit right in!!! I am one who is learning toward my own place so I can only offer book knowledge...but there are many others who have the real stuff and I am sure they will help!!

Welcome and I look forward to getting to know you better as I see you "around"!!!
Hugz Always!
Talitha
P.S. I live in Okinawa, Japan right now, so am on the same side of the world as you!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  8:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jayne!
Boy..you are going to fit in SOOO well here!!
I did the same thing..had the list of names for my future animals....I have had Mona picked out for my cow name for probably 35 years!! Fun to finally have her!
YOu have so much in common with alot of us..you will have to just jump right into the conversations..you will have alot to offer!! I am glad you found us!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  11:11:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your lovely welcomes - I do feel right at home already. I just hope I am not tempted to spend all my time talking to you girls!!
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  11:47:28 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jayne,
Ive been to Australia also, loved it.Was smack dab in the middle(Alice Springs) but also lots of other places to.
The farmgirls are fun here and are so interesting,im sure you will enjoy them
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  02:12:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by daffodil dreamer

Thanks for your lovely welcomes - I do feel right at home already. I just hope I am not tempted to spend all my time talking to you girls!!

Greetings, Daffodil Dreamer! Happy to meet you. My favorite flower is the Pansy and I have been collecting china, old prints, etc. with beautiful pansies on them, and my mom calls me the Pansy Princess. I am now living most of the year in southern France, since marrying my French husband a year and a half ago, and back to Norfolk, VA when I can. His oldest daughter lives in Mullimbimby (hope I spelled it right), Australia, and we travelled there last December to spend six weeks with her and her daughter, who had just gotten a horse for her birthday! Of course it was summer there, and HOT, but gorgeous scenery!!! I loved seeing the wallabees eating fallen apples off the trees in the front yard. And those adorable green tree frogs were too cute! I have no chance of becoming a farmgirl, except in quality of life, and small town life in France is alot like small town America 100 years ago. And look out! You WILL want to spend loads of time here; my husband sees me at the computer and says "always you are on the farm" with a grin! MJ's book is really good, and these gals won't steer you wrong! Have a great day, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  06:59:36 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jayne! Be prepared- you have just entered into a huge circle of friends!! My family knows that when I am on the computer I'm checking into what the girls are up to at MaryJane's!! It is wonderful to have so much in common with so many women around the world.
We're glad you are here.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  11:17:55 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Jayne,

Welcome to our virtual get together each day, chatting away with everything that means something to our world as farmgals.

We all have ideas to provide each other on all aspects of being a farm gal, wife, mother, grandmother and sister. In effect we are all sisters. We share a love of one thing in common, life on the farm/ranch.

I'm from Texas. I have two homes, one in Angleton near Houston. The other in Groesbeck, our ranch which we have owned for six months now. Groesbeck is about an hour and half drive south of Dallas. I love my adopted state, and I often wish I could call myself native. I tease my husband he married a yankee and he grins. Most Texans look at Australia with awe. I suppose it is because Texans see Australia the same way they see themselves. We think of ourselves as Texans first and Americans second. We pride ourselves in once being our own nation and still celebrate our independence day from Mexico. I put it in small caps because we also hold a special place for our nation's Independence Day. Australia is on the top of the list for only two other nations I wish to visit. Someday....

Enjoy visiting with us, and I'll send you an email you can show your husband about self sustaining farming.

Welcome, again!

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  12:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jayne ~~always neat to hear from someone so far away~~! I love dafodils too~ Glad you found us!
Jan
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  1:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the group I hope you have a nice visit with all the farmgirls as they are real nice. Very willing to give advise and help out where they can. My favorite flowers are white. Sounds silly but true. I dream of having a small garden by a gazebo and all white flowers around it. Someday.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Aug 08 2006 08:38:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  4:09:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jayne,

Nice to meet you. Welcome to the forum.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  6:44:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi to all,
Huge thanks to you all again for the welcomes. Have just jumped on my computer this morning to have a look again - I promise I have done my morning chores first!! Thrilled to see so many more lovely words from you all. I think I may spend a LOT of time here!!
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  6:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jayne! It's true, you will love it! My husband calls me computer girl now! I want to read everything, and catch up on everyone! It is so much fun! Let me know if there's anything I can do for you! Love to hear more from you!

gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  08:25:00 AM  Show Profile
Jayne~
Welcome! You have found the right place....I am wondering who Tasha Tudor is?? I would love to read some more good books about "good" living. I really like to learn something new.

I love your name! I have four daughters, and if I were ever to be blessed with a 5th, her name would be Jayne. I think it is such a pretty, classic sounding name.

As for your dream of a farm, keep it alive, it WILL happen...I am dreaming and working toward my own farm too. We'll get there, I just know it.

Glad to meet you.
Love
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  10:23:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kate!! Next time we get together..soon I hope...I will bring several books about Tasha Tudor. She is a children's illustrator...wonderful wonderful stuff..and lives a lifestyle so simple and old fashioned. I think 1830 is her "era" she likes to live like. It is amazing.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  2:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jayne and welcome! These are all like-minded ladies whose friendship I'm sure you will enjoy. It's fun reading about someone on the other side of the world. Happy Winter!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  2:07:33 PM  Show Profile
Hello, I finally made it here. I am from Maryland, an avid quilter, do needlework, make cards, do scrapbooking, just got DH to make empty bed room into Sewing/Craft room for me.. Married 39 years , 3 kids,,,5 grandkids. one dog (belongs to them, I am just keeping her here....) Am going to browse around to see what I like...everything looks wonderful.. My user name is newheart, because I am just recuperating from Heart Attack and heart surgery.

newheart
8/8/06

Edited by - newheart on Aug 08 2006 2:13:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  5:45:50 PM  Show Profile
newheart! Hello! I wish you the very best in your recovery....how awful for you. You have found the best group of friends. The only way it could be better is if we all lived with an hour or so of each other...then we could visit in person, and help out. Like now, for you. If we were neighbors I would bring you dinner, a smile, and we would sit-a-spell and talk!
Make sure you start a topic of your own, on the welcome wagon....that way everyone can drop in and say hello.
Love
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  7:27:56 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Margie!! Like Kate said...I wish we were all physically closer..but you will find this a close knit group of friends..sounds like you will fit right in. I have been very into quilting right now..I tend to switch from project to project...always several things going...and phases...right now a quilting and embroidery phase..but always knitting in the background somewhere and spinning, and I love to sew. How fun to have a sewing and craft room just for you..I love that! What breed is your dog?? We are big dog lovers here!
I am so glad you found us!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  8:52:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks again for all the lovely thoughts. And welcome to Margie!
Kate, Jenny is right - you would love Tasha Tudor. If you go on to the Amazon website and look up her books, you can look at some of the pages (not much, but just to have a look). She and her family also have a website.
Best wishes to all and keep dreaming,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  01:03:21 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Jayne and Jenny...I have heard the name but never really knew who the name was attached to (Tasha Tudor) Something else I have to go look up ... I LOVE learning new things here!! Thank you Jayne for telling us about her! Jayne, I think you and I have a permenant spot on Amazon!! lol I am there all the time and have a wish list like you would not believe! What about you? Do you have a wish list going?

Newheart Margie, Welcome!! I love to scrapbook too! And I just got my own craft/whatever room as well...I love it!! I have always planned to have a "girlie" room just for me and my friends to enjoy...but now it is a must!! I hope you will start your own thread on the welcome wagon and tell us even more about yourself, this way others will know there is a new friend to meet and they can all stop in and say "hello" !

Hugz to All!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  06:40:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jayne,
I too am a long time Tasha Tudor fan. Years ago I had a birthday party for my two girls Tasha Tudor style with the wren post and all. I wrote to tell her about it and my Corgi dogs and she wrote me a letter back! I treasure it as you can imagine.
We enjoy the simple joys of life as much as possible on our 5+acre farm, it is wonder to be as self sufficient as possible. It's wonderful that you are passing your skills on to your children. How much more memorable to them then some parents giving them video games!

Can't wait to here more of your news.
Pennie

God bless Farmers
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  07:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Jayne,
I just did a search on Tasha Tudor...HOW did I miss knowing about her?!?! Seems so very neat..have a few of her books now saved on my wish list!!(which is now about a zillion pages long! ) I can not wait to get them! Thank you so much for mentioning her! I have something else I think I am going to love and have to add to my budding library!
Thanks n Hugz!
Talitha

PS. do you have her cookbook? Or does anyone have Tasha Tudors cookbook? was wondering if it is any good? Thanks!

Edited by - Buttercup on Aug 09 2006 08:49:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

CityFarmGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Brooklyn NY
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  09:25:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Jayne--
And welcome! I have only posted a couple of times, but it is a great place to be! I think you ask a very good question and I would love to read the advice you are given myself! I live in NYC, which is about as far away from a farm as you can get, but I would love to have my own farm someday, too.

As a McLeod's Daughters fan, I have to say Australia is part of the reason I find farming so intriguing, although I know it is a lot harder than it appears on a TV soap! The scenery is gorgeous, though, although I understand it is very hot in the summer. And I just finished Bill Bryson's book, In A Sunburned Country, so it is very interesting to hear from Western Australia. Welcome again and I hope you get the bigger farm of your dreams someday,
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  09:39:50 AM  Show Profile
Jayne...welcome form sunny Prince Edward Island, Canada, home of Anne of Green Gables... I have never beem to Australia, but I do have two snail mail pen pals there...hey, maybe you would like to join our cookbook swap..just look up swap shop.. then you can get a neat cookbook from one of your farmgirl friends.... hugs, Mella

"I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  4:39:15 PM  Show Profile
I have Tasha Tudors cookbook, and I love it, it has pictures she has painted throught out it.
I have the four other one about her life and gardening , and whatever else they are, I dont have many kids books that she has done. Corgi ville fair and the pumkin one are cute ,but the only ones I have for kids.
I have both of her tapes and they are also good, one is at christmas with her and the other is gardening. She has corgi's and so do we, love em
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hi to all from Australia Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page