Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 What is your secret motivation method?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What is your secret motivation method? Next Topic  

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  2:44:57 PM  Show Profile
Funny story/strategy time!

What is your secret subliminal way to motivate yourself to clean, or to get other people in the house to clean?

Me, I fire up netflix and put on a rerun of Hoarders. Not only do I get desperate to clean up my house, I have experienced the "collateral damage" of everyone else who happens to see it too, goes on a house or room cleaning push without my even mentioning it!! LOL

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  5:15:42 PM  Show Profile
I set the timer for 15 minutes. I do as much as I can for the 15 minutes... which often turns out to be a ton! Then I can do what I want for 30 minutes. Then another 15 and so on. My other thing is baking cookies.... have to get something clean. organized or thrown away while each batch bakes.

I work outside while bread bakes which is about 30 minutes or zucchini bread for 45. It's all a mind game with me.

And yes... i watch hoarders to. Trying to motivate myself to clean the craft room... but it is much for fun to go out in the garden. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  6:47:00 PM  Show Profile
I say out loud that it's time to get the work done. I have a 2y/o who loves to help everyone do everything. I say that and she is a loud, pushing, motivating machine! She won't let us sit around till at least one room is completely cleaned. It makes life move forward even when we want to hold it still.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  08:58:36 AM  Show Profile
I have watched Hoarders and Consumed and have made a dramatic reduction in stuff as well as a reduction in buying. It is a great way to point out to us what "stuff" is useless to us. I found it way better than any organization or declutter books or shows. On a daily basis I tidy up every day so clutter and stuff doesn't get piled up. I schedule the cleaning on a daily basis. Each day has one bigger task. It works but I also have days where I think I'm taking a day off and I spend a day doing whatever it is I want to do that isn't cleaning or tidying.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Cate1313
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Cate
Manlius NY
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  09:27:15 AM  Show Profile
Hoarders will scare anyone into cleaning!

I tell myself I will just work for 10 minutes, 20 minutes, whatever and then not wear my watch. I find I just go and go once I get started.

~Cate

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night - Sarah Williams
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  8:37:41 PM  Show Profile
Always a great motivation for me...Momentous occasions!

Case in point-This past July had to get the house spic and span because of a graduation party. I started 3-months before the day of the big event! And also.....I hate to admit this... I always get up and clean after viewing an episode of HOARDERS!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  4:59:04 PM  Show Profile
My motivation is visualizing how great things will look and feel when I am done. I just keep that thought while "pushing" through it. Hoarders doesn't hurt either (OL)

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  9:14:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh hoarders does it everytime for me too...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  10:08:54 PM  Show Profile
Lol! I tell myself that my in-laws are coming

Actually, while I always do a spring cleaning, I do a huge cleaning and de-cluttering after the endless dust of summer and harvest. Super deep cleaning in the autumn is like starting with a clean slate for the autumn and winter holidays to me. It's like an artist preparing the canvas before painting a work of art, I can't do all of the preparing, cooking, decorating and celebrating if my house isn't in order. So once the cool days of autumn begin, I get inspired to clean and clean and clean!

I'm a sloth all summer, so my house really needs that deep clean about now!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  5:45:53 PM  Show Profile
What motivates me to clean. I am same with Ingrid...especially when I am lazy...I watched "hoarders".

I don't like pile up of dishes and clothing so I do it often. Also when I am stress out I have to clean.

blog: http://nj-nyc-3inna.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  9:09:02 PM  Show Profile
Usually a call saying we are having houseguests is enough to motivate me! DH says he invites people over so we will clean house. Thankfully, he helps.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  10:40:04 AM  Show Profile
When I really, really need to clean, I invite people over for dinner! Nothing like impending company to put me into a cleaning frenzy!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  09:51:57 AM  Show Profile
Never heard of Hoarders but it sounds like I should find it as it seems to work so well for all of you!!!

I try to imagine that company is coming or invite company to come. I inform my children that we are cleaning up and if anything is left on the floor it gets thrown away. I visualize the look on my husband's face when he comes into a spotless house and imagine how wonderful it will be to hear him say, "The house looks great" "smells great" "is so clean" "somebody's been working hard"

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  1:10:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ingrid

I have watched Hoarders

LOL! That's my favorite motivator, too :) But too often, they have several episodes in a row and I wind up sitting there watching every one instead of becoming a candidate for the next visit of 1-800-GOT-JUNK!

The 15-minute timer thing really works, by the way. Stick to one room and see how far you get before the bell goes off. It's pretty amazing.

Also, drifting through a store like Bed Bath & Beyond always puts me in the mindset to declutter. I don't need to buy anything there to organize my closets and stuff. All I need to do is fill up some bags for recycling or the thrift shop.

In fact, gonna do that right now...unless Hoarders comes on. ;-)

EDITED TO ADD: Hey, I just forgot, one of my favorite motivators is coming here to Farmgirl Connection to read about what other are doing to motivate themselves, get ideas to make an odious chore less so, and for general inspiration. Thank you all for your contributions to the forum we've all come to depend on for all kinds of good things.

Edited by - Rosemary on Oct 16 2011 1:12:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9409 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9409 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2011 :  1:26:46 PM  Show Profile
Definitely company coming but since we have little of that I have to come up with other ideas. My worst spot is the sewing craft room. I love for it to be clean but I am a bit of a hoarder in that room so it never gets completely finished. I work for a woman who is a definite organizer and does not hoard. Being with her motivates me to get things clean and de-cluttered for sure. Lots of times it will be other people such as you gals here who motivate me. Great thread because we all need a bit of motivation sometime!

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  7:16:40 PM  Show Profile
After so many of you mentioning Hoarders I downloaded it from Netflix. HOLY COW! Yes that is definately a motivator. I suddenly have this urge to purge!!!!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  04:52:06 AM  Show Profile
My friend drops by when she is in town. She sends me a text message, then i'ts cardio toy pickup. Luckily, she takes a really long time to get here.
Then when she gets here, i act like I was just waiting, sipping tea the whole time. Oh my goodness, I am my mother.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

blessedhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tina
West Virginia
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  1:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Company coming does it for me!

Also watching Martha Stewart.I need something inspiring like that.Hoarders just depresses me.

~Tina

My main blog~ http://frontierhome.blogspot.com

My food blog~
http://mysimplenorthernkitchen.blogspot.com

Psalm 62:5~ Find rest, O my soul, In God alone; my hope comes from him.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  07:41:34 AM  Show Profile
Annie I too clean when I am stressed. Just have outdoor antennae so never have gotten to see Hoarders but have heard of it. We are at auctions and yard sales alot so I guess I always have clutter to get rid of and I do that when I start to feel "closed in"
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What is your secret motivation method? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page