one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  04:42:49 AM  Show Profile
I have learned a lot of important things about food from you ladies. I want to know what you don't eat, and why.

I don't eat watermelon from Hermiston, OR. It's the acres of underground bunkers holding the radioactive waste that is a turn off.

I don't eat Mc Donalds, because I think it tastes bad.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  07:16:17 AM  Show Profile
I don't eat alot of different kinds of meats for religous reasons.

I don't eat whitened rice or flour because it's not safe or healthy.

I don't eat proccessed cheese food because there is so much delicious real cheese, so why eat fake?

I don't eat anything at restaraaunts that won't tell me what's in it.

I have recently discovered India has the most amazing food! All natural, very few ingredients, lots of amazing spices. They can make rice and milk taste like heaven with some spices added to it. So.... I am eating simpler and learning the art of spicing. It's great!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?

Edited by - natesgirl on Sep 16 2011 07:16:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

mountaingirl
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Jennifer
Conifer CO
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  07:43:12 AM  Show Profile
Ohhhh..."the art of spicing". I love that and I need to learn to be more adventurous! You made me crave just a simple bowl of rice with your description. I don't eat any meat except occasionally, if it's organic or if someone I know hunted it or raised it and it was killed humanely. I don't eat anything conventionally processed or anything with additives and I stay away from "fake" health foods for the most part (soy burgers, cheese alternatives, etc.)
Jennifer

Have your heart right with Christ and He will visit you often, and so turn weekdays into Sundays, meals into sacraments, homes into temples and earth into heaven.
~Charles Spurgeon

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  07:52:22 AM  Show Profile
I don't eat figs unless they're in a newton. I'm sure they're good, but I can't get past the alien look of them. Makes my stomach churn.

I won't eat oysters. In any capacity.

No lamb, no veal.

It goes without saying fast food isn't on my list of "must haves" nor any prepared foods.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  08:31:34 AM  Show Profile
I don't eat spinach because it doesn't like me. It works immediately on me. Never again! LOL
And, for the same reason, I refuse to ever eat eggplants again.
I did eat both once, no more.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  2:22:19 PM  Show Profile
I don't eat lamb or mutton. I just cant stand the flavor. I also don't eat fish for the same reason. If anything tastes "fishy" it turns my stomach. I'll eat seafood that doesn't taste fishy, and I'll cook fish, I just don't like it.

I also have a hard time with spaghetti. YES! Spaghetti! When I was about 9 my mom has several health problems in a row, and we were broke so we ate pasta with marinara every day for a long time. Today, we're still on the south side of the poverty line and my family likes spaghetti a lot so I still make it, even though I hate the messy spatter, the smell and the flavor. When it's for dinner I either raid leftovers or go without. When I'm in dire straights I eat the noodles plain. That said, I love pizza. Weird huh?

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  10:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
I won't eat green onions from Mexico. Wait, I won't eat anything from Mexico. I won't use bullion cubes, crystal, ect because the sodium content is so high. I won't buy milk unless it's organic.

But most of all I won't by bacon if it has nitrates or nitrites, because the same thing that's in those are in jet fuel. What's wrong with that picture.

A.J.

Work is love made visible. ~ Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  09:28:41 AM  Show Profile
I am not a picky eater but somethings like cooked turnips or beets never pass these lips.....
I adore fresh tomatoes but for some reason don't care that much for tomato sauces of any kind...but will make spagetti sauce occasionally cause hubby loves it.
Used to love fish but after spending time in Ghana West Africa & smelling 1000's of pounds of it drying on the beaches can't cook it or eat it...but still love shrimp ect.
Refuse to eat at KFC after seeing what the chickens went thur in India that KFC uses.....so sad & broke my heart
Veal...can't stand to know I support that treatment just for meat.
Never have liked store bought milk but will drink gallons of it if its raw.
I eat very little meat but love vegs & fruits...potatoes are my BEST friend....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  12:52:30 PM  Show Profile
I won't eat McDonald's, because they import their beef from South America, where they get away with using all kinds of chemicals and hormones on their cows that we're not even allowed to use in the US.

I don't eat peas. I just think they're gross. And I can't eat fried, scrambled, or poached eggs.

I also do not like blackberries. Unless it's in blackberry jam cake. Which I love. Weird, I know.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  1:08:37 PM  Show Profile
I don't eat meat that I don't know where it came from.

I don't eat tapioca, or Cream of Wheat-it's a texture thing.

I don't eat KFC-I HATE the smell.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  1:35:32 PM  Show Profile
No fast or overly processed food
No commercially grown meat because I hate the way that they treat the animals.I hate grocery store produce too because it is so flavorless
I don't like to eat pork because I am too fond of pigs
Okra makes me gag
Caviar makes me break out in hives
Allergic to the enzymes in papaya
Cant stand mutton, lamb or goat
Nothing icky like tripe, sweetbreads, tongue or brains, no frog legs
And I don't care how nutritious scientists say they are I'm not eating bugs!

I love all fruits, nuts and grains, I love most game birds and animals if they are cooked well, I'm always adventurous enough to try anything foreign or really different as long as it doesn't contain anything from the list above. I adore seafood, but hubby detests anything from the sea Sometimes I buy seafood anyway just to watch him make all of these grossed out faces

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  6:32:47 PM  Show Profile
I don't eat anything that has high fructose corn syrup in it. I also don't eat anything that has partially hydrogenated vegetable oil in it.
Go to Top of Page

LynnDinKY
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Kentucky
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  8:12:09 PM  Show Profile
Watermelon. Or any other melon. Don't like them. I know. I'm weird.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  8:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I hate spaghetti. It was a cheap easy go to in my first few years of marriage. Now, I hate the very idea of it. My DH loves it, so sometimes when I'm leaving for worship practice, I make a big pot for him and the kiddos. I grab a sandwich on my way.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  9:08:54 PM  Show Profile
Yccccccchhhhhhh...Escargot I mean really snails? and Caviar (it's that popping sensation)and oh

okra "Just remember if someone offers you okra, just say NO!"

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  9:15:19 PM  Show Profile
No beef for me. I don't like fish much. Stay away from a lot of "white" foods - bread, rice, flour-rich items.

I do love veggies and Healthy Choice frozen fudge bars. Can't live without steel cut oatmeal!!

Nothing too weird.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  06:40:35 AM  Show Profile
I dont eat pork, veal, KFC, Burger King, or anything from south america. I only eat french fries from McDonalds (cant help it).
I try to eat a organic as I can. So I eat most of what I grow in my garden and freeze and can it.
My neighbor has chickens and we get eggs from her. And anything that doesnt look inviting or smells nasty..
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  2:10:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Heartbroken farmgirl

I hate spaghetti. It was a cheap easy go to in my first few years of marriage. Now, I hate the very idea of it. My DH loves it, so sometimes when I'm leaving for worship practice, I make a big pot for him and the kiddos. I grab a sandwich on my way.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge

Phew, thanks for making me feel better about my spaghetti neurosis Annete! lol

I forgot to mention stuff like tripe, heart, liver, tongue, brains and whatnot, I kind of figured nobody really ate that stuff! LOL I also won't eat chicken necks and backs or fried pork fat. Long story short, my bachelor dad was really really cheap. Jointed chicken thighs don't look good to me for the same reason. Too much of it at one point. I think I lost 5 lbs every time I visited him because he never had anything worth eating.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  4:50:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Jonni! Figs are so good, especially the big black mission figs. I'm so sorry you don't eat them. Could you think of them as the biggest and best raisins ever?

I don't eat meat (but I kinda wish I did--change may be coming on that front).

Not crazy about brussels sprouts, but I really can't think of any (non-meat) food that repulses me or that I categorically avoid. It's all about the preparation.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2888 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2888 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  4:58:48 PM  Show Profile
Melody...
It's the popping that I LOVE about caviar...I adore it in the traditional Russian style.. on toast points with shredded hard boiled egg & creme fraiche...
I sometimes wonder if I am a reincarnated Muskovite

Edited by - nubidane on Sep 18 2011 8:38:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  5:48:11 PM  Show Profile
I don't eat raw tomatoes, cannot even stand the smell of them, but I will eat spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, and cook with tomato juice.

I do not like any melon except watermelon.

I cant stand fish/seafood, except for canned tuna.

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  8:31:26 PM  Show Profile
oh tammy! One of my favorite smells is tomatoes. I love the smell of the plants when I am picking the fruit. Even love that it rubs off on my hands.

marianne
Go to Top of Page

IdahoShamrock
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Kathy
Hayden Idaho
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  9:38:17 PM  Show Profile
OK, I can't eat venison... blech! Elk or moose are the best and I can eat lots of either. The only seafood I eat is bbq'd steelhead or mackinaw. No shrimp or tuna for me! A bbq'd elk burger...heavenly! esp when paired with garden lettuce,tomato and onion. The best!

I am horribly allergic to soy or soy products, so we do a lot of home cooking and rarely eat out.

Farmgirl #2125

www.dustbincards.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  03:53:05 AM  Show Profile
I don't like veal, or venison, or moose or elk or duck (yuck). Brussel sprouts are out. I won't eat cooked peas but I love them raw (same or carrots) Love cooked peppers but won't eat them raw.
Not a big fan of pork. I am getting sick of chicken. I do love seafood - salmon, clams, mussels , tilapia, flounder, crab, lobster....but it has to be cooked...nothing raw.
I haven't met a fruit I didn't like but there are plenty of vegetables that I could do without/ Love tomatoes ..in any form. Soy beans, tofu yuck. Whole milk yuck skim m ilk yum.
This has got me thinking...good topic...

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  03:54:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes - and nothing smoked!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  05:47:50 AM  Show Profile
don't eat fast food anymore, since i had my gallbladder out it makes me sick and it isn't good for me anyway
trying to eat more local produce and wish I could find local meat and eggs !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What you don't eat. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page